PDA

View Full Version : Help tuning G0490 8" Jointer

Eric Garner
11-15-2007, 8:20 PM
Ok, this is my first jointer, and I need help..... I am getting what I believe is snipe on my lumber. Here is the funny thing. If I'm jointing a long (42") board I get snipe on both ends of the board. If I joint a 21" board I snipe only on the back end. The amount of snipe is equivalent to the thickness of a sheet of paper and runs about 3" from the end of the board. You can't see it unless you lay the edge on the table.

Did any other G0490 owners have similar problems? Could this be user error? I tried feeding the boards through several different ways, but I get the same results.

I used a straight edge on the outfeed table and the knives just touch the straight edge at their peak enough to pull the straight edge.

Thanks,

Eric

Emmanuel Weber
11-15-2007, 8:51 PM
Usually the snipe at the back of the board is due to having the knives above the outfeed table. When you put your straight edge on the outfeed and bring the knives to their peak do you see any small gap between the straight edge and the outfeed ? Make sure you check it for all 4 knives.

Emmanuel