PDA

View Full Version : Back from Alaska!

Bruce Page
02-12-2004, 9:10 PM
I just got back from three weeks on Kodiak Island. It was cold, windy, snowy & wet, but most of all it was beautiful.

The first pic is a good size island off of Cape Narrow that I fell in love with on my first trip up there.

The second is typical winter time scenery around the facility.

Next is a fat little fox that seemed as interested in me as I was in him.

The last pic is of the IPF and SCAT buildings, the tall structure (170 ft.) is launch pad 1.

It's great to be back! Now, I have a lot of catch up reading to do.

Don Abele
02-12-2004, 9:18 PM
Bruce, beautiful pictures. I didn't know we had a launch facility in Alaska - interesting.

Welcome back.

Be well,

Doc

Glenn Clabo
02-13-2004, 5:05 AM
Kodiak to Albuquerque...You'd think your body would crack. Welcome back.

David Durgy
02-13-2004, 7:09 AM
I always found it odd that my dad spent quite of bit of his Navy term in Kodiak during Korea. I wonder if that launch pad goes back that far. I understand there was a lot of monitoring of the Russians going on up there. About all we ever got out of him was how great the fishing was.

Bruce Page
02-13-2004, 9:40 AM
I always found it odd that my dad spent quite of bit of his Navy term in Kodiak during Korea. I wonder if that launch pad goes back that far. I understand there was a lot of monitoring of the Russians going on up there. About all we ever got out of him was how great the fishing was.

David, the facility is only a few years old and built by a public corporation. It was strongly supported by Alaska senator Ted Stevens & the Clinton & Bush administrations. If you do a google on “ Kodiak launch complex” their web site will come up.
I don’t know about the Navy but Kodiak is home to the country’s largest Coast Guard facility.

Chris Padilla
02-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Beautiful country...I can almost smell the fresh air when I look at the pics....

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-13-2004, 2:47 PM
Beautiful photos, Bruce.
I can also smell the fresh air and feel the chill.
Daniel :cool: