PDA

View Full Version : Maple Walnut Vase

John Hart
11-15-2007, 7:05 PM
Howdy,

Here's a vase of a slightly different style than I normally do....although it does combine aspects of my style that are found in my other projects. I like to think of this as a combination of everything I do. Your thoughts and opinions....yes, even the negative ones....are welcome.

Oh....It's 9.5" high and a little over 4" in diameter.

Thanks for peekin' :)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/bluepatriot76/MapleWalnutVase3.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/bluepatriot76/MapleWalnutVase2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/bluepatriot76/MapleWalnutVase1.jpg

TYLER WOOD
11-15-2007, 7:52 PM
I love the wood contrasts, the finish is spectacular, the base and vase portions are wonderful. The form of the base and center section is wonderful as well.

I just wonder about the top area. Not sure about it fitting the style or look as seen through my eyes. Though my eyes are untrained and others will disagree with me. JMHO take it or leave it. Over all a great job.

Andy Hoyt
11-15-2007, 7:55 PM
Love that lacquer

Hic:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2007, 7:58 PM
John...John...John.........You may have been away from turning for a while but you sure didn't lose any expertise!

Absolutely stunning! Everything...wood...finish....form.....contrasting woods! Maybe I need to start "hiccing"!

Well done my friend!

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2007, 8:15 PM
Interesting piece John! I like the color combination, the overall form and absolutely love the finish! Really nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 8:29 PM
John that is beautiful. Interesting piece John. I like it.

Dale Gregory
11-15-2007, 8:38 PM
John, very nice, is this 3 separate turnings or did you glue the top/bottom on and turn as one?

Dale

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 8:53 PM
Very nice John. It's good to see you back in the saddle. Nice choice of wood and a great finish too.

John Hart
11-15-2007, 9:13 PM
John, very nice, is this 3 separate turnings or did you glue the top/bottom on and turn as one?

Dale

Thanks ya'll. It was fun. I plan to slim the next one down a bit and go for a sleeker look.

Dale...I made the center section the same way I make a hollowform. It is hollowed to 1/8 wall and not cut through in the bottom. Then I turned the top and bottom at the same time from a stick of walnut burl and hollowed out the top....and parted it off. Then epoxied the body to the bottom while still on the lathe....then epoxied the top to complete the ensemble. Then completed the hollowing down the throat to ensure a mate match going into the body. Then I sprayed some laquer around in the room so I would feel different. (hic):o

Ed Scolforo
11-15-2007, 9:19 PM
John, the wood choices and finish are wonderful. As I look at it, I have to agree with Tyler that there's something just not right with the form at the top. The word that comes to mind is "blocky". Since others have commented that they like it, I may be way off.
Ed

Ron Journeau
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
gotta buy me some of that there lacquer, or licquor, or somethin'...way out there,john, and the finish is definitely something to shoot for. Seems like getting the piece of the lathe without a launch or major catch is just the beginning.:D

David Fried
11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice. I really like the base and the middle is gorgeous. Something about the top tempts me to blow into it and try to play it! Maybe there is something musical in your future;)

Richard Madison
11-15-2007, 11:20 PM
John,
Ditto all the good stuff everybody else said except- problem with the top section is too large diameter, which upsets the visual balance of the piece as a whole. The shape is dandy, if only all diameters of the top section were smaller by maybe 25%. Or maybe not. Just a thought.

Would have required a much smaller opening through which to hollow the center section. Bummer.

Allen Neighbors
11-15-2007, 11:36 PM
John, it's spectacular... but I'm like the majority of posters about the top. It makes me think it might be top-heavy. I'd like to see it a little bit smaller... with the bottom of the top piece echoing the shape of the top of the bottom piece. Make sense? With maybe a smaller bead down close to the bottom of it... like the bead on the bottom, only smaller.... now I'm confused. :D
Looks like it's been sanded to 250,000 grit, and sprayed with 10 or 15 coats of lacquer. Awesome piece, as it is, anyway.

Jon Lanier
11-16-2007, 1:22 AM
:eek: Unbelievable! That thing is sharp, precious, and really cool. Way to go!

Tom Sherman
11-18-2007, 4:50 PM
Way to cool John, got caught up in the finish and could not be critical.