PDA

View Full Version : Planer on a budget - recommendations

Alex Carrera
11-15-2007, 4:05 PM
I've decided that I must have a planer. I have given up on trying to get thin and wide panels flat and parallel with hand planes. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget.

What are the best values in bench-top planers, or should I look used. If so, where should I look, and what should I look for?

BTW - I have a 6" long bed jointer if that makes any difference.

frank shic
11-15-2007, 4:46 PM
check amazon.com for discounts, search craigslist.org, the ridgid planer has been working fine for me.

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 4:47 PM
:) I bought a delta at lowes for around 200 bucks.

Michael Short
11-15-2007, 4:48 PM
I have the rigid planer as well and it works great. It might not be the best choice for a high production shop but works wonderful in a small shop.

Brian K McDermaid
11-15-2007, 4:48 PM
I'm cheep so i always look for used first....

http://craigslist.com is a good start. I picked up a nice used DW733 for $100 a few months back.

There are TONS of threads about lunch-box style planers.. They all seem to get good reviews (just make sure it has a locking cutter head).

~Brian

David Weaver
11-15-2007, 6:39 PM
The dewalt, ridgid and Delta 22-560 and 22-580s all seem to have their fans on here.

I have the Delta 22-580, and it does a very nice job for what it is.

Alex Carrera
11-15-2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not looking for anything production quality, so everything you've mentioned is right up my alley. I missed a deal by five minutes on craigslist a week ago:mad:

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 9:51 AM
You've probably already figured out that $500 is a really good lunchbox planer and $200 is bargain basement. Knowing that you can target your budget. One thing I think you will find tons of posts on here is the frustration that comes from not going that extra little bit in cash up front. Its just a good idea to have a feel for what things cost before you decide how much you're willing to spend, eh?

Lotsa of folks like the Rigid and it gets great reviews. I run a DW734 (three knives, one speed) which used to run about $350. I'm not sure what it is now. It has been a sweet little planer. I read a lot of pain and suffering on the Deltas and C-mans but probably just as much that is good. The point is, saving $100 and paying in wasted material and frustration is a false economy.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I did get a refurbished DW735 from Tyler Tools a few years ago for around $325. Looked and performed like new. As others mentioned, including used and refurbished in your search may open up some possibilities for you. You'll just need to be patient.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-16-2007, 10:10 AM
The point is, saving $100 and paying in wasted material and frustration is a false economy.

That's a great quote. May I use it in my sig line?

Steven Wilson
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Any of the Dewalts from a 733 on up would be a good used choice if it's in good condition. Look for one from someone who is upgrading or is a woodworker and getting out of the hobby. You'll probably want to avoid one used in the trades. Besides craigslist check the classified section of this and other woodworking boards.

Andy Livingston
11-16-2007, 5:38 PM
I've had my Ridgid for about 3 years now. I've sent a good bit of wood thru it (from hard maple to cypress). Works well! Not the most heavy duty, but with just a little TLC it works great for me! One of these days I would like a more heavy duty unit...:)

Richard Dragin
11-16-2007, 5:41 PM
I would look used first as well but planers don't come up very often on Cl and when they do it is usually a big old one (which can be even better).

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 6:13 PM
That's a great quote. May I use it in my sig line?

Fire away Rob. I gotta million of 'em; hot-cha-cha-cha. Oh man, did I just date myself or what?

Gary Keedwell
11-16-2007, 6:16 PM
Fire away Rob. I gotta million of 'em; hot-cha-cha-cha. Oh man, did I just date myself or what?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/Laie_67.gif Jimmy Durante......I haven't heard that in ages....

Gary

Rob Bodenschatz
11-16-2007, 6:30 PM
Fire away Rob.

Done.

:D:D:D:D:D

Rich Engelhardt
11-17-2007, 7:54 AM
Hello,
I bought my DeWalt 734 from Amazon back in June of this year. I paid $228.00 for it, plus $50.00 shipping for a total of $278.00
Since then I've looked all over at prices on the 734, and they are all well into the high $300 range.

I have no idea how Amazon does it, but it's well worth keeping your eye on them for super deals that pop up from time to time.

LOL! I just realized. > half the warranty is up on the 734,,,and it's still sitting in the living room unopened! I better unpack it and see if there's a planer in there or a bunch of bricks ;)

Edited to add:
One thing I should mention about a used 734. Make sure you check both sides of the blades. The blades are throw away and cost an arm and a leg compared to other brands.