PDA

View Full Version : Which woodworking schools are recognized as the best?

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 3:53 PM
Just curious if there is a particular school that would stand out among the rest when it comes to fine woodworking?

Stephen Nelson
11-15-2007, 4:13 PM
Marc Adams gets a lot of mentions.

ROY DICK
11-15-2007, 4:14 PM
Bill,

What I have seen from your work, you could teach.

Roy

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 4:21 PM
Thanks Roy. I'm asking because my BIL is considering taking an extended class. The schools he has looked at so far seem very good and have a great curriculum. I'm just delving deeper to see just whats out there. Plus he'd be gone for up to 9 months. That would suck because I'd have no one to have a cigar and discuss what the days info on SMC was. :D He would come back with plenty of conversation though and some great knowledge too. There are so many talented people out there that I would think there would be plenty of good schools out there as well.

Jim O'Dell
11-15-2007, 4:35 PM
Depending on what area of woodworking he is wanting to delve deeper into, if furniture, I thought Kelly Meyer was very knowledgable and very down to earth at the woodworking shows here 2 years ago. And he was just doing some seminars for Delta at their booth.
So while I don't have a lot of suggestions, (I could benefit from the beginners classes!:D ) I'm guessing you might get some more specific answers if we knew if there was a specific thing to learn, or looking for general woodworking, or cabinet making, etc. I'll be anxious to see the answers, though! Jim.

Jon Lanier
11-15-2007, 4:40 PM
I don't know how good it is, but I understand that Rio Grande College http://www.rio.edu/ has a Fine Woodworking degree program.

ROY DICK
11-15-2007, 4:40 PM
Hey Bill,

Maybe if he could narrow down what part of the country he would be interested it, if any, that might help folks help y'all.

Hope he does well and keep up the turnin'.And oh yes the pics too!

<~~hope to get a camera for Christmas,(maybe) :rolleyes:

Roy

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 4:53 PM
I think he'd go anywhere in the USA if it offers the a top notch curriculum and quality instructors. If there is a good one here in AZ please let us know though.:) Fine furniture and hand joinery are on the list for sure.

Jim Becker
11-15-2007, 4:57 PM
Bill, I think you also need to narrow whether you are talking about schools that offer stand-alone courses or those that offer longer term "programs" for career development.

Jeff Wright
11-15-2007, 5:02 PM
Here is a place you might want to call. I have not attended their classes but they look serious. They offer a nine-week and nine month course. Pricey too.

http://www.woodschool.org/12wk.html

Brian Kent
11-15-2007, 5:19 PM
Palomar Junior College has an amazing and wide-ranging curriculum. The location is nice too - San Marcos, California. Nice weather and frequent sea breeze.

I have only observed their woodworking department. I went there xxxx years ago as a music and geology major.

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:21 PM
Here is a place you might want to call. I have not attended their classes but they look serious. They offer a nine-week and nine month course. Pricey too.

http://www.woodschool.org/12wk.html
I think that's one of the schools he's looking at. Seems top notch too. Thanks.

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:22 PM
I think a long term or a short term could be considered depending on the curriculum.

jerry cousins
11-15-2007, 5:28 PM
college of the redwoods - fine woodworking school - fort bragg, ca.
both short sessions for specific skills and longer programs for career wwr's.

jerry

Neil Lamens
11-15-2007, 5:48 PM
Bill:

Jim is on to a very important point.......what kind of woodworking school.

Just building, building what, what form of degree, how much design. Then if you pick design, do you want a school that does their final build full-scale or models.

What type of school are you looking for. What is the end result your inquier is looking for???

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:50 PM
Fine work in furniture, Joinery and work in the styles like David Marks. We'd like to do this in our retirement.

Joe Unni
11-15-2007, 6:37 PM
North Bennett, Boston.

Hank Knight
11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Bill, have your BIL check out the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Maine. They offer a number of different programs from one and two-week focused workshops to a 12-week "Intensive" and a 9-month "Comprehensive." They also have fellowships for talented students, and many of the classes are taught by visiting instructors from all over the world. I've taken two one-week workshops, one with Garrett Hack and the other with Craig Vandall Stevens. Both were excellent. Here's the link: http://www.woodschool.org/

Jack Camillo
11-16-2007, 7:48 PM
If you haven't already, go to finewoodworking.com and search "woodworking schools directory" - they are listed by state.
there are several there that I'd love to take 9 months off to attend.

Eric Gustafson
11-16-2007, 8:11 PM
My BIL, Bill, Is always looking out for me. Great guy btw.

I am the guy thinking about the WW school. I will retire next year. I have done a little woodworking here and there over the years, but have not done as much as I'd like. Too busy raising the kids and never had much for a workshop.

I am setting up the garage right now and collecting the tools I will need.

I have no desire or need for credentials like a degree. But I want to make the finest furniture and art I can muster. The 12 week and the 9 month comprehensive program at the Rockport Maine school look real good to me. The only booger is I live in the southwest and that is a long time to be away. However, I almost have the LOML talked into it. ;)

Hank Knight
11-19-2007, 2:59 PM
Eric,

The Maine coast would be a nice change if scenery for you, it's beautiful there; and I can assure you that you would enjoy the school. If you decide to go, drop me a note. I have a line an excellent apartment in Camden, 10 min. from the school, where we stayed both times we were there, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have, insofar as I'm able.

Hank Knight

Teresa Jones
11-19-2007, 5:29 PM
David Marks teaches classes and The WoodWhisperer is in Phoenix.

Bill Wyko
11-19-2007, 5:36 PM
Thanks Teresa. Any idea when and how much? I'm a big fan of David Marks work. Maby that's a class I could attend.:)