PDA

View Full Version : Greetings woodturners from a beginner

Ben Glaser
11-15-2007, 3:00 PM
I'm new to your board and I want to become new to wood turning. I'm thinking I should start out small with pens / pencils and? I'm seeking advice from you experienced folks. I want to know if a mini lathe is necessary to turn pens or if a large lathe would do the trick? I do wish to build my skills and experience and move up to larger projects. Is it better to have 2 lathes? A mini and a full size? What about a drill press? Small bench model for pen projects or can a floor model be used?
Regards,

Wayne Bitting
11-15-2007, 3:09 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ben! I started turning pens on a large lathe (a ShopSmith), it seemed like overkill so I got a mini from PSI for $200. Then the bug took over and I just bought a big boy lathe. One little workshop - three lathes! Say goodbye to the rest of your paychecks!!!!!

Raymond Overman
11-15-2007, 3:17 PM
One lathe, one drill press, one bandsaw, one grinder will work fine for turning pens. You can turn a slimline pen on a large lathe. You can't turn a large bowl on a small lathe. However, if you just want to get started a mini/midi style lathe is a good investment that will last past your purchase of a larger piece of equipment.

As for the drill press, the longer throw of a larger drill press will be helpful when turning pens.

Welcome to the vortex. Bigger, better, faster, more...

Alex Elias
11-15-2007, 3:55 PM
As mentioned you can turn pens in any kind of lathe. So I would get a smaller one make sure you like turning and with the savings get accesories. Trust me the lathe for the most part is the smaller investment, (unless you are going nuts and got your self top notch) consider scroll chuck and jaws, quility live center, mandrel for pen making or beall chuck, quality turning tools grinder sharpening jig and the list goes on and on.
There are a number of things you can do on the mini before you outgrow it. Pens can keep you bussy for quite some time and also pay for a new lathe and (my case) I pay for all my lathe suff and upgrades with the pens. You can get into box making, bird houses, small bases, small bowls, and bla bla bla. By the time you need a bigger lathe keep that one for other stuff or buffing system.
Good luck and welcome
ALEX

Neal Addy
11-15-2007, 4:06 PM
Alex nailed it. I agree with everything he said.

Try visiting a turning club in your area. You'll learn a lot and can get some hands-on test drives with various lathes and tools.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Don Orr
11-15-2007, 4:15 PM
Good advice already given. My addition is books, videos, online articles. Lots of great info out there.

Have fun!

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2007, 4:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ben! Lots of good advice so far - look forward to seeing what you end up with for a lathe! Have fun with it!

ROY DICK
11-15-2007, 4:26 PM
Ben,
Glad to have you on board,

Check libraries and wood magizines. Also check for a wood turning class. And as already mentioned a club.

Take all saftey advice.Man I sure hope speel check works.:confused:

Roy

Brett Baldwin
11-15-2007, 4:39 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ben.

I would recommend you take a few classes to see whether or not the bigger stuff is something you'll want to do eventually. I'd start with pens or some other small item to get the idea then see if there is a bigger project like a bowl that would give you some idea of larger scale. You can almost always do small things on a large lathe but large things on a small lathe can be difficult to impossible. As lathe use goes, there tends to be either small or big. There isn't much in between. 12"-14" swing (maximum diameter before hitting the bed) is sort of the middle ground where the lathes aren't priced ridiculously but the capacity is limiting as your skills improve. This hobby will cost you some serious money even if you stay small so I'd take your time choosing. Enjoy the ride though.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 6:44 PM
Ben welcome to SMC. I started with a midi lathe the Delta but gave that to a nephew. I now have the Rikon and have since moved on to a larger Nova lathe. I kept the smaller one cause sometimes I just don't want to crank up the big one to do small pens, birdhouses or christmas ornaments. Alex hit the nail on the head. Go small and see if you like turning. After some experience then look at big and keep the small one.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2007, 8:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex Ben! 2 years ago I didn't turn but the inmates here decided I should. They gifted me with a Jet VS Mini. I just recently disassembled the lathe and temporary bench (the infamous diving board) and am finally getting back to finishing my shop. I have a brand new PM3520B sitting on the pallet and a new b/s sitting crated. In the next few days I hope to uncrate and start using both.

The short of it.....as already stated above...you can turn small things on a big lathe but you can't turn large things on a small lathe.

Join a local turning club...members will be happy to let you see their tools, lathes and maybe give you a lesson. Thus you can get a little advice on what to buy.

Again....Welcome to the Creek!

John Hart
11-15-2007, 8:12 PM
You're in big trouble Ben.:eek:

It's good trouble.....

But it's trouble.;)

Welcome to the abyss.:)

Ron Journeau
11-15-2007, 10:07 PM
...demonic cackle from under a huge pile of shavings..... we dun got us anuther one!!!:D

Neal Addy
11-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Dante said it best... "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!"

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey Andy.....We got another one.....Just give him a little shove!:D

Doug Thompson
11-16-2007, 2:18 AM
Welcome! Follow the advise given already but here's another way to think about it.

Buy the largest lathe so you will never have to say I need a bigger lathe.

Buy the largest chuck so you will never have to say I need a bigger chuck.

Matter of fact buying a lathe and the words I need go hand in hand.

Have fun with whatever you decide and if you have any questions just ask, remember we all had to learn the same way.

Doug

Alex Elias
11-16-2007, 3:47 AM
To add to what I said earlier. The only reason to buy a big lathe to turn pens, is if you are making pens for big people. Here is an example:D
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Huge-pen.jpg

robert hainstock
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
WELCOME TO THE SITE!
I mostly turn pens anymore, so I'm happy with my 12"x36" midi. I agree with those who are suggesting moderation. My first lathe was a #39.00 Sears with a salveged washing machine motor. So whatever you do decide, make chips, be happy.:D

Allen Neighbors
11-16-2007, 7:28 PM
Welcome to the addiction... 'cause that's what it is... and that's what we do, welcome people to the addiction...
Craft Supplies USA has the Vicmarc VL100 bench model mini lathe on sale for $259. I have one that I mounted a 1/2 hp motor on, and I don't think you can get a better one. (The bench model comes with a pulley and belt for your supplied motor.)
Doug's rightest amongus... lathe and I need do go together... :eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
11-17-2007, 8:35 AM
Welcome to the Abyss Ben, like John said about trouble...you've bit of a hunk now. As I look back I think I would start with a Midi and move up from there. I started with a Jet 1442 then went to my Robust. It would have been nice to start with a Jet or other Midi with variable speed and then I could have kept it when I moved up. Great to have you aboard!!:)