PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Laser Soon

James Wright
11-15-2007, 1:33 PM
:p
I am a newbie (just another new label for myself in life). I am waiting on my Epilog Mini 24 – 45 watts, maybe within the next week or two.
Been lurking around reading posts and I know when the laser finally gets here I will be a pest, please forgive me ahead of time.
Looked at tons of stuff to make….purchase about that much in scroll/fret saw patterns. I’m looking at taking the old wooden nickel to the 3D engraved level. I want to 3D carve on one side (something like Gantry does ) flip it over and engrave my business offerings on the other side….has anyone out there done any two sided work and maybe also wooden coins?

Mike Null
11-15-2007, 3:21 PM
Not hard to do at all. Best make a jig first so they'll be accurately positioned.

There are several places on the internet to buy wooden nickel blanks

Stephen Beckham
11-15-2007, 6:06 PM
James,

I get my nickels from iTuit.com - there are about three others, but can't recall where at this point.

I use matboard (share retail space with a framer) and cut my circles. Once it's wore out - cut a new one. Meanwhile save your vector circle file and all you have to do is fill in the center of these coins and click go...

If that doesn't make sense - let me know and I'll post a picture or CDR for you to get a better idea...

On the 3D... I'm not sure you'll need to - check out the photos on my website and look to see the images that I've put on the nickels with standard 2D raster files...

Sandra Force
11-15-2007, 7:16 PM
I don't think anyone has pointed out that you do one side, tape them down, flip the jig and do the other side. This does require everything in the jig being lined up and centered. I did not do that one time, not good. Using this method I can do quite a few at a time and save on loading and setup.