PDA

View Full Version : Novice turner-help?

Michael Robinson
11-15-2007, 7:12 AM
Have yet to put a tool to wood and I want to do it correctly.

Can you folks suggest books on the subject?

Mostly I'm interested in safety and technique. Safety since I don't want to be ducking large pieces of wood bouncing around the shop, and technique since I'd like to actually produce something besides piles of wood chips.

Many thanks to all, and looking forward to the help.

Cheers,

MikeR

Paul Heely
11-15-2007, 8:15 AM
Books that I keep going back to:
Woodturning: A Foundation Course - Keith Rowley
Turning Wood with Richard Raffan (I also like the other 2 books in his box set)

One video I keep watching is The Practice of Woodturing by Mike Darlow. Its kind of old and not a slick as some of newer videos but its packed with good info.

My best advice is to find a local club and go visit them. I learned spending one day with experienced turners than I did in months working on my own. Your profile does not show where you are located. If you post where you are I'm sure somebody can point you to a local club or other turners.

Pat Salter
11-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Your profile doesn't show where you live, but another great source of information in a local woodturning club. Go to the AAW website and look at the listing for clubs and it will show you what's the closest. All of them that I know have a mentor program which involves experienced turners showing new turners how/what to do.
another option is you local rockler or woodcraft store. they usually have classes or demonstrations from time to time.

good luck and have fun.

joe greiner
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike. You can find a local woodturning club by visiting the American Association of Woodturners web site: https://www.woodturner.org/

Boink "AAW Local Chapters" and proceed with additional selections.

First rule of safety is to wear a face shield. Fairly cheap insurance from such as Harbor Freight.

Second rule is to stand aft of the headstock when you start the workpiece spinning, i.e out of the line of fire.

Even with mentoring, turning "correctly" will not always happen. Better to expect an occasional failure as the price of success.

Joe

Brian Weick
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
By Keith Rowley- great book and it will help you move into the feild of turning- hopefully- a smooth transition-. :)
Brian

robert hainstock
11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
THE "BEST BASICS", book I've ever read is "THE PRACTICAL WOODTURNER" BY F. PAIN, ISBN # 0-8069-8580-1, Sterling Publishing, N.Y., N.Y. It is probably not in print any more, but I got my first read at the local library. also ebay is a pretty good place to find older books.
I turned my first wood in 1952, and this book, and joining a local club have taught me that I was pretty much doing every thing wrong all those years, but chunks of wood still got rounded, and I stayed out of the bars.
So whether you are doing it for relaxation or money , enjoy yourself.
WELCOME!;)

TYLER WOOD
11-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Quote "So whether you are doing it for relaxation or money , enjoy yourself."

Oh there is no money in turning. When money is made the vortex sucks it right back in. Theory of vertex dynamics.....

1. Nothing but wood can leave the vortex.

2. When wood leaves the vortex it can only be in two forms, round or curlies.

3. Extra green around the vortex is subject to vortex dynamics. Instantly liberated from holding apperatus, converted by the vortex into turning paraphanelia.

4. Humans have been know to live in the vortex but never return. No one is sure if it is an addiction or if the gravitational pull of the vortex physically denies the ability to remove ones self from the pull.

5. Any attempt to remove oneself from the vortex is denied except in rare conditions, and only in death.

Sorry for the news, but hey enjoy your stay!!!:D

Michael Robinson
11-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Quote "So whether you are doing it for relaxation or money , enjoy yourself."

Oh there is no money in turning. When money is made the vortex sucks it right back in. Theory of vertex dynamics.....

1. Nothing but wood can leave the vortex.

2. When wood leaves the vortex it can only be in two forms, round or curlies.

3. Extra green around the vortex is subject to vortex dynamics. Instantly liberated from holding apperatus, converted by the vortex into turning paraphanelia.

4. Humans have been know to live in the vortex but never return. No one is sure if it is an addiction or if the gravitational pull of the vortex physically denies the ability to remove ones self from the pull.

5. Any attempt to remove oneself from the vortex is denied except in rare conditions, and only in death.

Sorry for the news, but hey enjoy your stay!!!:D

I love it, and thanks to all for the information and support.

Cheers,

MikeR

Michael Robinson
11-26-2007, 2:20 PM
Just put a tool to wood for the first time. The sound of cutting, the pile of curled wood, a shape emerging from a piece of wood, WOW.

Now I've got to actually make something.

Cheers,

MikeR

Tim A. Mitchell
11-26-2007, 3:28 PM
Just put a tool to wood for the first time. The sound of cutting, the pile of curled wood, a shape emerging from a piece of wood, WOW.

Now I've got to actually make something.

Cheers,

MikeR

You mean we are supposed to be making something? I was just trying to have something soft to walk on:o

Ben Gastfriend
11-26-2007, 5:10 PM
Can we see a picture of it? (I'll speak for myself; I like to see pictures, but I think this statement applies to most of the people here).

Dean Thomas
11-26-2007, 5:26 PM
Go, Michael, go!!

Two things. Another set of videos that I recommend a lot is the first three of Bonnie Klein's videos. They are not recent, but the skills needed for basics are just that--basic! She speaks about this stuff in very simple English and emphasizes the right stuff, IMO.

Second thing: now that you have your tools inaugurated, remember some of the basics.

Don't push your tools. Let them do their work at their own speed.
Keep your tools SHARP. They cannot be too sharp, but they can surely be too dull and usually are. If you feel yourself pushing, consider sharpening.
Light cuts can actually help you get done quicker!
Sharpen often.
Keep your tool rest free of nicks by dressing it with a file and adding a little paraffin.
Use your grinder regularly and hone if you like that sort of thing, but sharpen often.
Practice! You can use ripped 2x4 stock from scrap sources to practice basic cuts like beads, coves, and even roughing. Practice to get smooth cuts that need little sanding. With practice, you should expect to get cuts that are essentially 180 grit good! Or higher...
It's a whole lot easier to take wood off than it is to put it back on.
SHARPEN.
The inside diameter should always be smaller than the outside diameter.
Use some established angles and grinds. Don't play with those until you know more about what the changes will accomplish. If you learn while keeping your angles the same, changing the angles will not confuse your learning curve. (Hear the voice of experience here???)
Oh, and did I mention that you need to keep your tools really, really sharp?Hope it helps!

John W. Willis
11-26-2007, 6:02 PM
Practice! You can use ripped 2x4 stock from scrap sources to practice basic cuts like beads, coves, and even roughing. Practice to get smooth cuts that need little sanding.I second everything that the others have said but mostly practice. I chucked up an old 2x4 and then walked around with my shield on getting my courage up and trying to remember what all of the books said and the videos showed. Then I turned the lathe on and then some more walking. I was getting tired of walking so I chose my weapon and yes I walked some more but this time when I approached the lathe I meant business and laid into that 2x4 until it was round. Then I danced around a little and then I started practicing all of those techniques because I was more relaxed and could remember them.

You'll be fine with the help of all these good people on this forum.

John Hart
11-26-2007, 6:16 PM
You mean we are supposed to be making something? I was just trying to have something soft to walk on:o

My thoughts exactly!!!:)

robert hainstock
11-26-2007, 7:41 PM
You just amde something square, ROUND.

Julie Tanner
11-26-2007, 7:43 PM
I heard that the Bill Grumbine is a great video, I asked Santa for his 1st video. I have only seen Del Stubbs and Mike Mahoney, DVD's

I am just learn to turn bowls, have made quite a few pens.