PDA

View Full Version : Jointer adjustments

Ed Jolin
11-15-2007, 4:15 AM
When adjusting jointer knives, how far out of the cutter head should they be? and is there an issue with having them protrude very little?

While replacing the knives in my old (new to me) 8" import jointer, I discovered that if the knives protrude from the cutter head any more about 0.040, then they begin to hit the infeed table (this only occurs as the infeed table is set to take off about 1/32" or less, which is where I'd like to have it).

I only used it for test cuts prior to removing the old knives, and never adjusted it below 1/16, which is why I'm only discovering this now...

I've read (?) that knives should be set about 3/32 out of the cutter head, but this would require me to essentially remove the infeed and grind out the areas where it hits.

So the other solution, obviously, is to set them just barely out of the head, maybe 0.030-0.035"; are there any issues with this, either in terms of functionality or safety? or is there another adjustment that I'm missing.

thanks-
ed

Steve Leverich
11-15-2007, 5:24 AM
Sounds like a bad design to me; my PM jointer can run the infeed to zero without coming close to hitting the knives... Steve

(if you're stuck with this maybe a trip to a machine shop to mill the cutter end of the infeed table will fix the problem?)