PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Bench Dog?

Rob Will
11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
My local Woodcraft store says Bench Dog went out of business.
Is this true?

Rob

Gary Keedwell
11-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Gee...I hope not...I've been looking at their lift for a long time.:mad:

Gary

dave rollins
11-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Rob
There website is still active and it has a store locator feature that you might use to find a store close to you. Hope this helps
Dave

Dan Barr
11-15-2007, 5:32 AM
by the mortal nemesis of Woodcraft.......

Rockler.

lolol :D

v/r

dan

Rob Will
11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
by the mortal nemesis of Woodcraft.......Rockler.
lolol :D v/r dan

Now we know the "rest of the story".

No wonder the guy at Woodcraft did not elaborate, I can't wait to pull his chain about this.

Rob

Fred Woodward
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
I had heard that Benchdog had filed for bankruptcy and Rockler bought them out. In any case, I think they're Rockler owned now and Woodcraft won't be selling them any longer.

Don Bullock
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
by the mortal nemesis of Woodcraft.......

Rockler.

lolol :D

v/r

dan

I hope that doesn't mean that their routher tables will now be Rockler blue.:eek: :p

Greg Cole
11-15-2007, 10:20 AM
So long as they still carry the CI router table I'm ok with it.... that's an item that's recently popped up on the short list.

Greg

Mike Marcade
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I found this on the net:

Well, I’ve been hearing rumors for quite some time that Bench Dog was having financial difficulty. It’s been confirmed from this listing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1342888.html). Bench Dog filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last July:

Bench Dog Inc., (http://www.benchdog.com/index.htm) 3310 NE. 5th St., Minneapolis; filed July 27, 07-42546; Chap. 11; …
I’ve always liked Bench Dog’s products. Though their products aimed for the “higher end” of the market, I think their designs are innovative and well thought out.
So, what’s the future of Bench Dog and their products? When I contacted Bench Dog, here is the response from Cliff Smith, former CEO:

“As you may know, on July 27, Bench Dog, Inc. filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. On, Monday, October 1st the company emerged from bankruptcy as Bench Dog Tools, Inc. Rockler Companies is financing the reorganization and providing product development support to further the Bench Dog Brand. Bench Dog Tools will operate as a standalone entity with independent staff at the existing facility. The relationship with Rockler Companies will be transparent to our customers and consumers.
“The company will continue to design, develop, and distribute premium specialty tools and power tool accessories for the woodworking and home improvement markets. We have and will continue to fulfill orders to Lowe’s in a timely fashion.
“As you may know, I served as the CEO of Bench Dog, Inc until September 2006. Bench Dog Tools retained me to enhance customer relations, expand the Bench Dog brand and ensure consistent order fulfillment. I am once again committed to getting Bench Dog Tools on a fast track to success. Brian Kramer will continue to provide customer service support to our retailers and consumers.”
Let’s hope they can get back on their feet and carry on the tradition of great woodworking products.

Gary Keedwell
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_146.gif Mike

Thank you for the great explanation. Although I have not purchased any of their products, I have examined their literature many times, and their products are on my very short list for my anticipated routing upgrades. I have heard nothing but great testimonials from their customers.
Gary

Mike Marcade
11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
You betcha Gary!

I have the benchdog C.I. router table top that has replaced my left t.s. wing. It is a very well made piece. I also have their pro-plate aluminum insert in it.

I Love their stuff, I just hope they continue making it.

Jim Becker
11-15-2007, 1:31 PM
Mike, thanks for the research and clarification. I'm glad that Bench Dog is still with us...unique products that many of us value a lot.

Rob Will
11-15-2007, 1:48 PM
Thanks Mike,
I'm planning on getting one of thier router tables.
The guy at Woodcraft had a closeout model (one remaining) so that was a little misleading. Good to know they're still kickin.

Rob

Mike Marcade
11-15-2007, 3:47 PM
Mike, thanks for the research and clarification. I'm glad that Bench Dog is still with us...unique products that many of us value a lot.

Google is one of my best friends. :D

glenn bradley
11-15-2007, 3:53 PM
Maybe they'll adjust their Festool pricing model on the BD stuff so it is more realistic ;-)

Mike Spanbauer
11-15-2007, 4:18 PM
Maybe with Rockler backing them / distributing their products they'll bring their miter gauge back.

I own one and every one of my friends who visit ask me where I got it... like their router lift, CI table, and every other product... it IS a cut above.

Supremely impressive products.

mike