PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Morse Taper (Pen Mandrel)

Dan Stuewe
11-15-2007, 12:28 AM
I've been neglecting my lathe lately and I think it took it personally. I had left the pen mandrel in the head stock and now it won't come out, even with significant persuasion using the steel rod and hammer. I've tried to use a few drops of 3-1 oil for the last couple of days, but it still isn't budging. What advice can you give me (of course I am planning on showing my daughters how to turn over the Thanksgiving holiday).

Thanks,

Gordon Seto
11-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Dan,

Try "BP Blast", a penetrating oil, let soak in. If it is a mini lathe, lift the headstock side up.
Heating the spindle with hair dryer.
Good luck.
You may need a MT reamer to clean up the hole.

Gordon

John Hart
11-15-2007, 6:57 AM
Gordon...did you mean "PB Blaster"? I agree it is good stuff.

Gordon Seto
11-15-2007, 8:08 AM
John,

You are right. Did a Google search, it is exactly what I meant.

Gordon

Josiah Bartlett
11-15-2007, 9:17 PM
This may be impossible with your style of lathe, but automotive tie rod ends and ball joints have similar tapered seats and tend to really stick. The preferred method of removal is to tap the side of the "eye" with a big hammer. It pushes it out of round and forces the taper out of the seat. If you have threads around the head stock it may not be a good idea, and it may also be hard on your bearings, but it usually works.

You could also try a can of electronics "freeze spray" on the mandrel, it should shrink it and pop it loose.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 10:35 PM
I am not sure how to get it out maybe some penetrating oil or liquid wrench always has worked pretty good for me but would not even ever think of using a hammer period. You are just asking for trouble. If you hit that it may take your spindle out of round or ruin the spindle and or your bearings.

Dan Stuewe
11-17-2007, 7:41 PM
Just wanted let everyone know that the PB Blaster did the trick (along with a hammer - not on the spindle, on the knockout rod).

The girls broke me down and I showed them how to turn this afternoon...

Gordon Seto
11-17-2007, 8:13 PM
Glad that works out and the joy on your daughter's face, priceless.

Just a safety precaution about her long hair around spinning machinery.

Gordon

Dean Thomas
11-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Just a safety precaution about her long hair around spinning machinery.
And to maybe get a pallet or two to stack up so that she can get the spindle closer to her elbow than her nose. :) Safer, saner, and will make for a much more pleasant turning experience for the youngsters. We did that for the turning experiences with the youth at the AAW. We built platforms that were pallet thickness and used one or two of them for the really small kids.

Great smile, though. Makes it all worth it, yes?

John Hart
11-18-2007, 7:13 AM
Itty-Bitty-Bonkers!!! Now them's my kinda gals! :)

Paul Engle
11-18-2007, 9:03 AM
Yea , elbow not nose, but the smile tells it all , way cool.Good work " dad ".

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2007, 9:47 AM
Glad it worked out Dan. That is so cool.