PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1590 or 1591???

Dave Schemansky
11-15-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm planning on replacing my old Craftsman VS jig saw with a Bosch unit. I'm leaning toward getting the barrel model 1591 at this weekend's Hartville Hardware sale. I'm interested in hearing from those who have either the top handle 1590 or the barrel model as to why they chose that particular model. Having used a top handle model since forever I think having the barrel model would make for easier control. Or am I all wet??

SCOTT ANDREWS
11-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Dave
I have the barrel model and like it alot.I also have 2 top handle models.I find that I always go to the barrel model.I like the lower center of gravity feel you get with the barrel grip.Just my preference.

Brian Penning
11-15-2007, 6:45 AM
Pick up both in your hand and see which feels better.
FWIW I chose the top handle. Either one you can't go wrong.

Scott Whiting
11-15-2007, 9:19 AM
I have a small hand so I chose the top handle both times.

Allen Bookout
11-15-2007, 9:43 AM
I have the 1591 and wish that I had bought the 1590. The on/off switch is hard to operate with one hand for me. Also take a look at the new Milwaukee top handle model. Has some good things about it that I would have liked.

John Thompson
11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I personally hated using jig-saws before I purchased a Bosch barrel grip years ago. It changed my outlook of you don't control a jig-saw.. the jig-saw controls you and you lose control mentally causing more problems.

The barrel grip is now one of my most prized tools as it gets the call on all templates with 6/4 and under stock. Great control.. balance and a piece of cake to use. I will agree with another poster that the switch position could have been put in a better place, but once you get a few miles on the saw that has become a very minor issue with me as my experience with it grew.

Sarge..

dave rollins
11-15-2007, 2:19 PM
Dave
I personally have the barrel model and like the control that you have with this style. I know this isn't about the top hand model that you are requesting info on, but you might like to check out the new offer that several tool dealers have on the 1587 AVSK w/ free PR10E router. The one that I looked at is at ToolUp.com for $149.99 w/ free shipping. Just a thought. Hope this helps.
Dave

Chuck Saunders
11-15-2007, 5:19 PM
It is a personal preference, for me it's the barrel grip. But from a quality standpoint, you will love whichever Bosch fits your hand best.

Charles Robertson
11-15-2007, 6:54 PM
Been using the barrel model since the 70's in the construction field. Motors kept running but after 10yrs. or so the other parts were getting worn out so I kept getting the newest pro model. I like the barrel, and only Bosch for me. Al

Henry Cavanaugh
11-15-2007, 7:03 PM
several tool dealers have on the 1587 AVSK w/ free PR10E router. The one that I looked at is at ToolUp.com for $149.99

Also at Rocker for 149.99
I like the top handle 1590 because small hand grips it better. Try both

Charles Robertson
11-15-2007, 7:06 PM
Been using the Bosch barrel sabre since tne 70's in the construction field. Motors never failed. After 8 to 10 years the other parts got a little loose. Time to upgrade to the newest Pro model. The barrel grip gives me better control and has a lower profile which some times comes in very handy. Al

Tom Kelley
11-15-2007, 8:04 PM
Dave,
I agonized over the choice of buying the barrel vs handle style. I chose the Bosch barrel style and am glad I did. It cuts like a dream with excellent control.
Tom

glenn bradley
11-16-2007, 9:45 AM
This is a personal preference. I have the 1591VS and prefer the barrel grip for reasons stated by others. I feel more in control. My dad has smaller hands and prefers the top handle but, grip capacity is only part of it. I would try to pick up one of each and test the feel. It doesn't have to be the exact model your after just to test the feel. I think you'll know right away which you prefer.