PDA

View Full Version : bowl gouge

Julie Tanner
11-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Anyone know how to use this thing?

Every time I try to use the bowl gouge I have a hang up then scares the P *^*P out of me. :eek:

I have watched both Del Stubbs bowl turning and Mike Mahoney and they make it look Sooooo Easy.

Any hints or suggestions. I put the gouge down and go back to the round nose scrapper and finish what I am working on. It takes forever.

Neal Addy
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I agree that books and videos always make it look easy. Took me forever to give up scraping and learn to use a gouge. It's all about tool control - learning to ride the bevel and controlling your angle of attack. The grind you are using may not be right for you either.

Do you have a turning club near you? The best way to learn the gouge is hands-on with a mentor.

Check this list.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Gordon Seto
11-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Julie,

Do you have a turning club near your area? A hands on is the best option.
AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)

Both videos you mentioned are good. But for beginners, I think the first bowl turning DVD "Turned Bowl Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine explains better step by step, cut by cut. After you have mastered the basics, you will understand more when you re-watch the two classics you have.

Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
I have to agree with Gordon on the Bill Grumbine DVD Turned Bowls Made Easy. I had the same problem. After I watched it several times with trying the cuts inbetween I suddenly saw I was presenting the gouge wrong. Once that was figured out plus what angles to present the gouge to the wood it suddenly became easy. He takes you thru step by step while showing you.

Jude Kingery
11-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Julie, you've gotten some great advice - the bowl gouge is my favorite tool. Presented correctly, it'll cut like a charm and not catch nor scare you. You kinda present it about 11:00 o'clock and ride the bevel on in. It really can work for you. Just a bit of practice and try it. Touch on it lightly and see what works. You'll be ok and bet you like it once you master it. Best wishes. Jude

Glenn Hodges
11-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Julie, joining a club is my suggestion for you. If you live close to another Creeker lots of us would be willing to help, but we do not know where you live because you have chosen to not list your hometown in your profile. I am having a turner and her husband visit me tomorrow for lessons as a result of knowing where I live by my posting it in my profile. If you lived close to me I would be more than happy to help, and give you the name of a local turning club.

Reed Gray
11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Julie,
I agree with trying to find a local club and/or a mentor. I love mentoring as much as I do turning. Seeing things being done makes a huge difference. You can ask questions too.
robo hippy

Julie Tanner
11-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for your advise guys

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Julie,

Somebody already told you about Bill Grumbine's first video "Turned Bowls Made Easy". I live 110 miles from the nearest turning club and didn't know anybody else in my community turned until after I started turning. With Bill's video I was able to start turning bowls. He with a little levity presents an easy method of turning bowls and demonstrates different gouge presentations for different uses. Without out that video, I'd still not be turning bowls. Some other videos that are great for turning other projects are "Turning wood" and "Turning boxes" by Richard Raffan.

Hang in there! Once you learn to use the bowl gouge, you'll love it!