PDA

View Full Version : Mounting air compressor

Joe Melton
11-14-2007, 9:56 PM
When I put a 60-gallon upright air compressor in my basement shop, it jumped all around when turned on. To solve this problem, I drilled holes in the concrete floor and put some bolts and some sort of anchors in to hold the compressor in place. This worked just fine.
I'm just finishing a new shop, also with concrete floor, and hate to defile it so early by drilling holes in it. Perhaps someone has a clever idea on how to keep a compressor in place without anchoring it as I did in the past.

Thanks,
Joe

Ken Deckelman
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
I have seen then mounted to a 36"x36" pallet that sets on the floor. It provides stability and a little vibration dampening. I bolted my 80 gallon unit down through anti-vibration pads to help quiet it down.

Stan Welborn
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I made a base for my 80 gallon. Several, 5 I think, layers of plywood from a worksite that had been laying outside. Just sat it up on it, piped my drain through some tubing and a ball valve to outside, and ran some lag screws in. Has worked great.

Walt Nicholson
11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Joe, bolting to the floor with rubber insulators is usually the best way to eliminate vibration and noise. A friend who was renting and could not drill holes, placed his compressor on a truck mud flap (heavy rubber) and then used a couple of rubber/metal car exhaust hanger straps to attach it to the wall. The straps had a little give in them, didn't transfer noise or vibration to the wall, but kept the unit from travelling. Basic and cheap but it worked pretty well without harming the floor.

John Bush
11-15-2007, 12:49 AM
What is a good source for the anti-vibration pads?? Thanks, John.

Randal Stevenson
11-15-2007, 1:40 AM

Grainger, is one. A sporting goods store, is another believe it or not. Several people I know use hockey pucks.
I know several who leave it on the pallet, even though it says not to (never seen an explanation as to why). If I were to place one on hockey pucks, I would still safety chain it personally.

Shawn Walker
11-15-2007, 2:00 AM
Mine still sits mounted on the original 2X4 base that it came on 15 years ago.
Shawn.

David G Baker
11-15-2007, 9:20 AM
Chunks of car tires will work as a vibration cushion.

Jude Tuliszewski
11-15-2007, 1:41 PM
I put my new 80 gal. on a round double thick table top with heavy duty (600 lbs. each) shock absorbing casters. I wanted to be able to move it for cleaning and maintenance. I thought I would have to use some small wheel chocks to keep it from wandering around, but it stays put while running. Yes it is very top heavy, but it would take lot to tip it as the table top is wider than the tank it shelf and the total wt. is about 700 lbs. If you do mount it to the floor do not fully tighten it down, let it float on the pads. This will lessen stresses on the compressor from vibration.
Sorry no pics, tried but kept getting error message. I’ll try editing later and see if I can get the pics in.

Jim Becker
11-15-2007, 1:44 PM
Mine is on two pieces of 2x4, both to get it up off the floor as well as provide additional stablity. While I do have it fastened to the floor, it really wasn't necessary.

Ken Deckelman
11-15-2007, 9:47 PM

I used THESE (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4C977)
McMaster Carr also has them.

Jude Tuliszewski
11-19-2007, 6:51 PM
I put my new 80 gal. on a round double thick table top with heavy duty (600 lbs. each) shock absorbing casters. I wanted to be able to move it for cleaning and maintenance. I thought I would have to use some small wheel chocks to keep it from wandering around, but it stays put while running. Yes it is very top heavy, but it would take lot to tip it as the table top is wider than the tank it shelf and the total wt. is about 700 lbs. If you do mount it to the floor do not fully tighten it down, let it float on the pads. This will lessen stresses on the compressor from vibration.
Sorry no pics, tried but kept getting error message. I’ll try editing later and see if I can get the pics in.

A couple of pics

Ken Deckelman
11-19-2007, 7:33 PM
A couple of pics

Your links do not work:o

mike wacker
11-19-2007, 7:54 PM
The theory, which I question, of anchoring it to the floor is that the vibration in the head is less. My 80 gal. 7.5 hp is on it pallet. Stays put. If I have to move it I can get it far enough away from the wall to clean behind it. I think I'm going to find some way of anchoring it thru vibration dampers, one way or another. Or considering I use it 1/100th of the time it was use in the commercial environment it was in originally, mobile is better.