PDA

View Full Version : Source for Craftsman 12 inch bandsaw tires

Michael Weber
11-14-2007, 9:27 PM
Just picked up a used craftsman 12 inch bandsaw. An old model 113.243310 with tires in iffy condition. Lots of pitting and general gunk sticking to them like glue. Trying to remove the gunk pulls a hunk of rubber with it. I was looking at new tires and the Urethane ones run 30 to 35 a pair. I don't mind getting regular rubber tires. Tires are 7/8 inch wide. I did find some on ebay for around 6.00 but they were only 3/4 inch so I'm assuming they are not usable. Sears replacement tires were very expensive. Anyone have a good source for inexpensive tires for this bandsaw?

glenn bradley
11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
You'll have to decide how long you're keeping the saw for this to work out but a $30 set of urethane tires will probably last you for life. For the cost of a couple cases of beer you would never have to worry about this again ;-)

Lance Norris
11-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Here you go.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10783
You might have to trim the width. It shouldn't be too hard once the tire is on the wheel.

Michael Weber
11-15-2007, 1:19 AM
Probably right Glenn, but I lean a little to the cheap side ;). Not sure I want to hold on to this saw for long and would prefer not to put a lot into it. It only has a 1/2 HP motor. I did manage to clean the tires a bit by holding some sandpaper against them as they ran. It at least got the big chunks of pitch or whatever it was off and did smooth them a little. I also set the metal blocks behind the gullets. Previous owner had the blade completely buried in them
Randy, thanks for that link. I didn't think to check Hartville tools. That price is a little better. I'll have to look into how to go about trimming the tire to the correct width if I opt to get those.
Thanks to you both.
Mike

Rick Potter
11-15-2007, 3:44 AM
It's hard to believe but I am just a bit tight fisted. Back in my untamed youth when my really well used, used Craftsman bandsaw needed tires, I wrapped the wheels with several layers of friction tape. It held up for a couple years till I found my Delta 14" saw.

Caveats: FRICTION tape, not electrical tape...looks like cloth impregnated
with tar.

Make sure you wrap the wheels so the tape tightens, not so it will
come off. That would be clockwise.

Put on enough wraps to cushion the teeth of the blade. One roll
should do the job.

No, I am not making this up. Have I ever lied to you?

Rick Potter

Steve Leverich
11-15-2007, 5:19 AM
Or, if you still want urethane tires McFeely's will sell you a PAIR for about the same as everyone else wants for ONE -

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/UBT-0012/Diameter-x-1-Wide-Urethane-Band-Saw-TiresQty-2

I bought these for an old craftsman I'm giving to my son - haven't installed them yet, but they look fine... Steve