PDA

View Full Version : Crash & Burn.. or... Leave PR to the Pro's.

Joe Tonich
02-12-2004, 2:51 PM
I HATE audiences! Turns out the meeting at ODOT was today, not tomorrow. After work I picked up and turned two pens to pass around to show what we're sending, went to meeting, and immediately (sound of bomb falling to earth :( ) crashed. Soon as I mentioned SMC was a WW'ing forum I'm ( & 2000+ others ) a member of, the eyes went up. Told them a $2 donation would deliver a pen W/a note from them to a soldier stationed in Irac or overseas as a morale booster. Said cash donations would go to buy kits for turners who would like to help but didn't have the $ to buy as many as they would like and to help pay for shipping. Told them that all kits were documented to where they went so all kits handed out would be returned and no-one could be selling them for profit. Said they could keep the pens I made and whoever donated would put their name in a box and they could have a drawing for them. They told me they would discuss it and get back to me. I dunno. I think this will be the LAST time I try something like this. I'll turn them but I'm gonna leave the PR stuff to the professionals. Ken, John, Jerry, Kevin, and all the rest of you ( too many names to mention ) will have to keep the ball rolling & I'll turn what I can to help out.

Joe -(Did I mention I HATE audiences???? )

Jerry Stringer
02-12-2004, 2:55 PM
They told me they would discuss it and get back to me. I dunno.

Don't give up yet, Joe . . . The best way to overcome this is to do it more!!!

But you HAVE to report back and tell us what the group decided.

Thanks for you effort!

Jerry

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2004, 3:19 PM
Joe,

Don't fret buddy......

I've been getting turned down by so many that I have all but given up on getting the word any further out in Arkansas. After all I have done, I have only been able to get another single turner to make 10 pens and a single story in the local newspaper.

I haven't been told to "go away" yet....but I'm sure if I keep trying, I will here that said by someone at sometime.

Frustrated in Arkansas.....

Julie Wright
02-12-2004, 4:47 PM
I HATE audiences TOO!!! When I went to the HS to talk to the students, I couldn't remember what the brass tubes were for. LOL One on One is best for ME :) I keep getting turned down too... But did get an aritcle in the Charleston Post and Courier and got $90 in donations. Well, off to call the TV stations and try to get them to come to the Turn a Thong :)

Glenn Clabo
02-12-2004, 5:07 PM
"Turn a Thong" ??? Now...That may bring out some people you don't want to be there! :)

Waymon Campbell
02-12-2004, 5:54 PM
Joe - No shame in admitting your not an "audience" type of guy. But remember that this is for a good cause, and that all of us involved in this project are grateful for your efforts. We all just need to stay the course and this will take off.

Waymon...

Tyler Howell
02-12-2004, 5:59 PM
Thanks Joe,
Nice Job. I love an audiance (incase you haven't noticed) Your message got out. Hang in there buddy.

Jerry Stringer
02-12-2004, 7:18 PM
Well, off to call the TV stations and try to get them to come to the Turn a Thong :)

OK, let's get this figured out . . . at a "Turn-A-Thong" do I have to wear the thong while I'm turning the pens? If so, I vote we wait for summer weather!

Or do we have a group of good looking folks IN thongs to bring the people to the event? For this, I'm game ANYTIME!

And what about these "thongs" . . . are they they flip-flop type that go on the feet or the string ones that go on . . . well . . . er . . . other places?

And what about safety around the lathe . . . .?

Hmmmm . . . I have an idea for a "thong pen" . . .

Julie, it may take awhile for you to live this one down!

:p

Jerry

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 9:56 PM
Sorry Julie. For once, I have little to say. To busy LMAO! :D :cool:

David Klug
02-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Joe I know what you mean. On the first Tue of the month we have a SAW (Sacramento Area Woodworkers) meeting and I was up there in about 50 or 60 people giving a pitch about the project. I got the message out sort of and one of the guys acted interested so I know the understood what I was talking about. I sure wish I was better at it but as they say practice makes perfect and I don't plan on practicing that much.

DK