PDA

View Full Version : Leigh VRS

Tom Cowie
11-14-2007, 5:32 PM
Hello to all

I just got my VRS system today and am going to try it tonight. I'll let everyone know as soon as I can on how it works. I have used my D4 extensively for years now , I almost can't make a box without dovetails holding it together.:o My one frustration has always been being covered with the router waste, Lacewood is one of the worst . it throws millions of tiny splinters at you every time the router touches the wood.

I'm going to set my jig up later tonight. I might have time to make some dovetails.

Tom

Tom Cowie
11-14-2007, 8:21 PM
Ok A quick review on the VRS after installing it on the jig and cutting one pair of dovetails.

Installing the VRS on an older D4 like mine was very easy. I did find it helpful to use a spring clamp to hold the parts together while I installed the locking knob.
75190 75191

The VRS really improves the stability of the router and it does pick up the majority of the shavings. The only problem was it took two times two get the level of the plate right ( It was getting dark) and the guide rails were riding a little too hard on the finger assembly ( minor bend to adjust)
75192 75193

Continue.......................

Tom Cowie
11-14-2007, 8:31 PM
It is no Hepa vac but I have never been so clean using a router! I tried to upload the last couple of pix but it said the data base had a problem. It was just a pix of the shavings that were left on the jig. It was a very small amount ..

Hope this helps anyone who uses this jig.

Tom

Bill Wyko
11-14-2007, 8:37 PM
Nice machine. I especially like the box you have it sitting on.

Lance Norris
11-15-2007, 12:44 AM
I just ordered the VRS for my D4R. Looking forward to having it. My shop is small and I like to work cleanly. Ordered the F2 also. Next, maybe the Isoloc, clover and bears ears. Looks cool.

Tom Cowie
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment Bill. The box is functional for the jig but I could have done better if I would have thought it out a little. It's purple heart and paudak . Not the best color combination but both very beautiful woods

Lance I too have a small shop and as much as I use a dovetail jig it will be a lot less cleaning but I will say that the best part is not being covered in saw dust.

Tom

John Gornall
11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I set up my VRS last week end. The new support arms were too tight to fit in the body but a couple of strokes with a draw file made them smooth - typical of Leigh small castings that need a little polish. VRS works great and I recommend it.

I have a nice frame and panel box which stores my jig and also is the base when in use. But the VRS adds about 3/4 inch to the jig so I'll have to rework the box.