PDA

View Full Version : Question about the inside of a HF

Bill Wyko
11-14-2007, 5:14 PM
I was curious, just how detailed do you get inside a HF that has a small opening. In my segmenting I get to cheat because I can build in 2 halfs, finish the inside and glue together, then a little clean up and it's ready. I have a very large piece of Red gum burl I was going to do as a HF so I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.

Raymond Overman
11-14-2007, 5:21 PM
On the hollow forms that I make where you can't get your finger in them, the inside is extremely smooth. :rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
11-14-2007, 5:53 PM
I was hoping that was the case. I didn't know how I was going to get any deeper safely.

Brett Baldwin
11-15-2007, 1:17 AM
Smooth as silk......as far as you know.;)

JK I haven't even gotten an entire bowl finished without some sanding marks. Form what I've seen though, HF insides aren't nearly as well finished as the outside, even when they are fairly visible.

Neal Addy
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I always try to get my HF's smooth on the inside but rarely with perfect success. I'm happy if I can avoid chatter/tear-out and get a smooth, clean surface.

I sand with sanding clips which do an OK job but they'll never match the finish I get on the outside.

Bob Opsitos
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Same here, only smooth where you can feel.

In that vein, I wonder could you put "raw" grit and such into your form and let it tumble, like a rock tumbler, could you manage to smooth the inside easier? I bet if you taped it well, forms with voids might be able to be sanded like this, as well.

Anyone ever try something like this?

Bob

TYLER WOOD
11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Interesting idea there Bob. I might just try that.

Bill if ain't glass, in ain't finished. Your hands, knuckles and arms have to be bruised bleeding and mangled before it can be considered finished. :eek:

Look at the cherry NE I did. there is visible tear out but still relatively smooth to the hand. It can be seen but not an eye sore. I think as long the the rough surface inside does not detract from the results you are trying to attain it's fine. Good luck on the sweet gum, and as usual pics are required!!!:cool:

Bob Opsitos
11-15-2007, 1:40 PM
Interesting idea there Bob. I might just try that.

Thinking about it, I suppose you have to have a low low speed so the grit tumbles vs simply being stuck to the side. Or you have to have heavy, but uniform grit chunks.

Bob

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:38 PM
How about using Lava stone? Just might work.:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:42 PM
Tyler, I started to work on the RG piece and broke the Tenon of of it so I went to a burl eucalyptus bowl I had drying and the mortise broke out of the chuck. Then I was practicing on a piece of scrap to make a finial for the ornament exchange and broke that too. One of those days. :( I'll make up for it tonight.:D

Allen Neighbors
11-15-2007, 7:05 PM
Thinking about it, I suppose you have to have a low low speed so the grit tumbles vs simply being stuck to the side. Or you have to have heavy, but uniform grit chunks.

Bob

58 rpm works wonders. I have a tumbler that I made with a small 68 rpm geared motor, and with pulleys, got it down to 58rpm. I use granite gravel from my wife's carport, and some silicone carbide chips that a friend gave me, for abrasive.
I mount the HF, throw in a handfull of abrasive, tape the opening, and turn it on. I leave it tumbling for about 8 hours or so. The abrasive takes away more of the soft grain than it does the hard grain, so it leaves a sandblasted effect. Smooth, but wavy. Not bad, but not perfect, either.
(Sorry for the hijack)
I tried to post a pic, but can't get it to upload. If you want to see it, email me. :)

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 7:25 PM
No hijack, thats great info. Thanks.

TYLER WOOD
11-15-2007, 7:49 PM
Stick to segmented Bill!!!:D JK hope you have better luck tonight. I'm hoping to whack around on a piece of mesquite for the next couple of days! Wife is having wisdom teeth pulled (now she'll be as dumb as me:D) so I'll be home for the next couple of days. Gives me time to tootle around maybe.

Glad to hear the rocks and sanding material works. I'm going to try it then!