PDA

View Full Version : 1236 conversion to DC VS

Paul Engle
11-14-2007, 3:27 PM
Finally got around to mounting my DC mtr to my Jet 1236,I have a few funky blanks to do and this is the best time to use the DC with controller for VS.If any one has a pulley/rpm chart in excel please fwd when you get time as I only have one belt stole from my ts ( poly link belt) and will use it to test rpm vs torque to decide on the drive pulley. SWMBO/ budget will only allow for one belt and one extra drive pulley , I have a 3.5 inch now.and the 2 inch stole from ts but that is too small. center shaft to center shaft is 8 inches.I have a 3 inch extension I made last fall from some chrom moly but did not make it quite long enuf and anthing over 9 in dia i have to take the fan and cover off to clear, I will be making another one if santa is kind to me this year:D .

Bob Hallowell
11-14-2007, 9:24 PM
Paul,
This is the calculator I used.
http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm
Bob

Paul Engle
11-15-2007, 1:12 PM
Thanks Bob.:D I got the circle thing down but pie should be eaten not made to go spinny..... I not the smart one:eek: .

Jerry Allen
11-15-2007, 9:04 PM
Paul, looks like you used a 1/2" link belt insted of the 3L (3/8").
How is it working compared to the regular belt?

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
I was wondering about the link belt. I was told never use them with the reeves drive variable drives. Is it working ok Paul?

Paul Engle
11-16-2007, 10:58 AM
The link belt works ok for testing, do not recommend permanet use , it sets a harmonic at 500 , 900 and 1300 rpm so that was kinda scary the first time..., I just don't shift the reeves much as I only use 4th or 5th,as the belt does not like to move, Soon as I get my pulley research done ( or pay day comes which ever occurs first :eek: ) I'll get the correct length and return the link belt to the ts.I have a couple "cut" belts that will work but are automotive , I want full cased belts as they ride the reeves much better, and NO harmonics to scare the woopdedo out of me :o.The only other change to give me more speed options is the drive pulley off my drill press, alas tho, it called the cops when I took it off....:eek: So if anyone has a 5/8" arbor keyed multi hub make me an offer.thanks for looking !

Jerry Allen
11-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I have read a few threads in other forums that folks have used the link belt and highly recommend it, as well as the negative threads, so I am not sure about it.
The only thing is, it looks like Paul is using a 1/2" instead of a 3/8" and I wonder if that is causing the vibration since it can't really seat properly because of the width.

robert hainstock
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Your pix cofirm a suspicion I've had for some time Paul. the original drive motor and puley system are the same as the Harbor Freight #34706, (my lathe) I bought a dozen belts for it from them last year for less than $15.00. send me your mail to address and I'll send you one to try out. RBOBBYH@CHARTERMI.NET. If it works, you can order them for your lathe by going to their phone sys, customer service , and ask for drive belts for the model lathe I listed above.
what dc conversion kit are you using? I've been thinking about doing mine and haven't done any research yet. As somebody sugessted, leep us informed as to how the conversion works out.:o