PDA

View Full Version : Monster

Raymond Overman
11-14-2007, 3:19 PM
Well, I debated calling a freight company and finding out how much it would cost to ship this thing for the ornament exchange but I decided that I just couldn't wait to post the picture. I also wanted to feature it at a show I'm doing the weekend after Thanksgiving so who knows if the Jolly Green Giant will show up and want to purchase an ornament for his tree.

Anyway, I did this with inspiration from some giant Christmas balls that my wife bought from Target's dollar spot. The ball portion is 5 1/2" in diameter and the length totals 41" from top to tip.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Ball - Honduran Laurel
Icicle - Ironwood
Cap - Texas Ebony
Finished with lacquer
5 1/2" x 41"

Paul Engle
11-14-2007, 3:32 PM
Way cool Raymond, absolutely unique.Neat gallery piece :D Good luck with the show!

Benjamin Dahl
11-14-2007, 3:35 PM
very cool and dramatic. did you do the icicle in segments and then attach the pieces or is it a single piece? either way, very nice. would look good on the tree at Rockerfeller Center.
Ben

Steve Schlumpf
11-14-2007, 3:51 PM
Now that's different! Agree with Paul - would make a great gallery piece! Best of luck to you on your upcoming show!

Pete Jordan
11-14-2007, 3:55 PM
Holy Toot Raymond!

That is wonderful!

Bill Wyko
11-14-2007, 4:24 PM
That's awsome!!! I hope you get my name:D

Donald Barfield
11-14-2007, 4:49 PM
That's an awsome ornament !!! I would offer to let you send it my way,but it looks like it is bigger than my tree.

Raymond Overman
11-14-2007, 4:53 PM
very cool and dramatic. did you do the icicle in segments and then attach the pieces or is it a single piece? either way, very nice. would look good on the tree at Rockerfeller Center.
Ben

Ben,

The icicle is a single piece of ironwood that a friend gave me a while back. It was a cut off from a deck project at one of his high end clients. (Yes, someone out there has a deck made of ironwood)

That's awsome!!! I hope you get my name:D

Bill,

I want to reiterate that this isn't going to be part of the exchange. I just had to go ahead and post the picture. Who knows though, I may use this as the small prototype! :eek:

Dave Bonde
11-14-2007, 4:53 PM
Ya right!, thats hanging in yours daughters doll house:) - thats really cool, nice job. Dave

Frank Kobilsek
11-14-2007, 4:56 PM
Raymond,

You are right, that will sell. Very cool idea.

Just gave me a cool idea.

Frank

Brian Brown
11-14-2007, 4:59 PM
So Raymond,

Are you going to hang Christmas trees on your ornament??? This is really cool. I'd be happy if I could just get a regular size ornament finished without it blowing up on the lathe. Could you take a few close-up pictures for us?

Brian

John Hart
11-14-2007, 6:17 PM
You are too cool Raymond.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2007, 6:58 PM
Raymond......that's special! You have unique ideas!

Pat Salter
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Nice, and I think it will fit on the White House Christmas tree. :D

robert hainstock
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
WOW! The mind of the artist is an amazing thing, I too would like to see pix and details on the process of the making of such unique and wonderful piece. lotsa attaboys!:p

Glenn Hodges
11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Way to put on a show. You have impressed me.

Barry Stratton
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
You are too cool Raymond.

No kidding!!!

I'd love to see YOUR Christmas tree:D Great mega-ornament!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 1:46 PM
Awesome Raymond. That is just to cool.

Alex Elias
11-15-2007, 4:12 PM
Wow, that is a pretty nice pice. Congrats and good luck

Don Orr
11-15-2007, 4:22 PM
That's awesome Raymond. You crack me up! It's hanging in a doll house right ?:eek:

Andy Hoyt
11-15-2007, 5:25 PM
First it was soap on a rope.

Now it's bowl on a stick.

Too cool!

Bill Wyko
11-15-2007, 5:33 PM
Ben,

The icicle is a single piece of ironwood that a friend gave me a while back. It was a cut off from a deck project at one of his high end clients. (Yes, someone out there has a deck made of ironwood)

Bill,

I want to reiterate that this isn't going to be part of the exchange. I just had to go ahead and post the picture. Who knows though, I may use this as the small prototype! :eek:
Darn! I was hoping you would slip up;) and ship it to me. :D

Raymond Overman
11-15-2007, 6:17 PM
Ya right!, thats hanging in yours daughters doll house:) - thats really cool, nice job. Dave

Sure, that's hanging in the doll house. What you don't realize is my daughter's doll house is 8'x12' with 5' eaves and a loft thanks to her Papa and Nana.

Dale Overman
11-15-2007, 8:21 PM
Raymond, you have been busy. I will keepmy little mees home if this is the type stuff you are having at the show. Dad

David Fried
11-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow! This forced me back to the shop and I completed my first icicle for fear you might poke me with your ornament!:D

Glad you posted the dimensions because in the picture it sure looks as big as the door!

Again, way kewl.:D

Raymond Overman
11-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I've been trying to post these since last night but since someone spilled beer on the picture posting server I haven't been able to get them out here. (I'm a systems administrator in real life. That's a joke. I realize how long it takes to resolve "issues" so don't ban me or anything.)

Anyway, without further ado, I hosted the pics on my site...

http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/monster.jpg

http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/monster-1.JPG

http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/monster-2.JPG