PDA

View Full Version : Ash - what is it good for?

Mike Goodwin
03-04-2003, 10:43 AM
My local Wood supplier has 4/4 ash for $1.61/bf. This is pretty cheap compared to the oak, walnut, and maple that I usually buy. Is it worth my time to drive over there? Is ash used for furniture? If so, what do I look for in choosing the wood.

Thanks,

Mike

Dominic Greco
03-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Ash is a nice substitue for Oak. It is hard, takes an edge nicely, it's strong, and will stain pretty well. Since it has an open grained nature, I suggest a gel stain.

It's good for indoor furniture and just about anything you can make that will stay out of the weather.

Since I can get rough sawn ash for about $1.00/bd ft, I end up using it for just about everything I can. I usually just clear coat it with a Polyurethane and oil mix. Sometimes you get some pretty colors running through it. But mostly it's somewhat pale, plain looking wood.

Is this kiln dried Ash or air dried? If it's air dried, be careful about Powder Post beetle infestation. I spray all the air dried Ash I get with Timbor wood preservative.

Good luck,
Dominic

Ed Marks
03-04-2003, 10:52 AM
I use it for bent laminations. It is very "bendable" when sliced down to about 1/16" to 1/8". Tight U turns are not out of the question. Many other woods will just snap when I try the same thing.

The stuff I get has pretty pronounced grain and would also work nice on large panels or homebrew veneer. I've never tried to color it with stain. I've always just used clear finishes on it.

At that price it might be considered as a secondary wood as well. Around here, one dealer sells off common maple (brown streaks, etc) for $1/bf S3S 7/8". I use it as a secondary now since it's cheaper then poplar or other common secondary woods.

Rob Russell
03-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Dom,

<i>"I spray all the air dried Ash I get with Timbor wood preservative."</i>

Does that discolor the wood? We've got a large (~30" diameter) ash butt log to saw up and the last thing I want to do is introduce PP beetles to all of the other lumber.

Thx - Rob

Bob Lasley
03-04-2003, 11:12 AM
In this part of the country, Ash used to be the wood of choice for better cabinets. Now, Oak has replaced Ash as the favorite. I find that alot people can't tell the difference between Ash and Oak if it is stained, especially to a dark color.

Bob

Ken Salisbury
03-04-2003, 11:17 AM
It is actually a good subsitute for white oak. Stains up where you hardly can tell the difference -=-- and a lot cheaper

Jim Izat
03-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Hey Mike,

I'm actually using ash right now for my shop project. It machines very well and is hard heavy and strong. I've read several places that the majority of "oak" antique pieces are actually ash because even then it was half the price of oak. As long as it's plain sawn and stained darkly, ash is a very good value in hardwood timber, IMHO.

Jim Izat

Dave Hammelef
03-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Used it for cabinets looks very nice.

Dan Bussiere
03-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Wow! See, as a new woodworker (couple years) I have never considered using ash for furniture. If, as you say, it is close to oak I will give it a try. Thanks for the question and I sure learned from the answers.
Dan

Herb Blair
03-04-2003, 12:04 PM
I made this drop leaf table out of ash.

Be careful when routing, it splinters pretty bad

Chris Knight
03-04-2003, 12:43 PM
I love ash, it works so much nicer than oak which I use mostly (American White, English and other varieties). It seems to cut very cleanly, a sharp plane leaves a glass smooth surface and it looks downright cheerful!

I try not to stain it - it is difficult to avoid tiger stripes that make it look ultra rustic/aggressive.

Wonderful coloration and gentle but sensuous figure (not wild) can be found in some flat sawn boards and it seems reasonably easy to get QS if you need that.

Chris

Dominic Greco
03-04-2003, 1:04 PM
Originally posted by Rob Russell
Dom,

Does that discolor the wood? We've got a large (~30" diameter) ash butt log to saw up and the last thing I want to do is introduce PP beetles to all of the other lumber.

Thx - Rob

Rob,
From what I've experienced, Timbor does not discolor the wood.

Another way of killing the bugs is to wrap the wood (after being milled down to a managable size) in black plastic. Then leave it in the sun. The heat will kill the PPBs.

Dominic

John Sanford
03-04-2003, 3:13 PM
Ash is used for baseball bats!

I've used a fair amount of it, unstained it makes a good substitute for white oak, less good for red oak, since ash is so pale. I like it, and as you can see, the price can't be beat.

Lee Schierer
03-04-2003, 5:13 PM
Shovel handles and baseball bats and cabinets. Actually most garden tools use ash for their handles. It's pronounced grain has limited it's use in fine cabinet making to some extent. Staining tends to be difficult because of the pronounced grain which usually just gets more pronounced with stains. Perhaps one of the prestain would conditioners would limit this effect.

When finished natural color, it will stay very white for many years, gradually yellowing slightly. It is tough to route on the end grain unless you climb cut.

Ben Mathews
03-04-2003, 9:48 PM
A friend of mine had his ceiling done in T&G white ash, and had about 100 bf left over. It wasn't long before some of it made it's way into my shop for wood duck houses for his pond. I offered to trade him "even up" for cedar, but he wanted me to use the ash. I couldn't believe how hard and heavy the stuff was! That was a year ago, and the houses seem to be weathering well thus far. One of the trees that had a house on it fell down this winter. I am convinced that it was the weight of the house that pulled it down, not the wind! It looks like the house took a pretty good hit on the landing, but is still intact and is now hanging on another tree. I used the scraps to make a couple of antler plaques, and they seemed to take a finish just as well as oak.

Ben

Tom Sweeney
03-04-2003, 9:54 PM
That's a great looking little table you got there. Nice work & it does look like a nice substitute for Oak - I'll have to remember that.

Paul Kunkel
03-04-2003, 10:34 PM
nice wood to work with:cool:

Dan Bussiere
03-05-2003, 9:11 AM
Paul,
The cabinets look great! What do you do for stain/finish? I do well when it comes to building, but I usually am disappointed with the color when I stain/finish. Thanks for your help.
Dan

Scott in Douglassville, PA
03-05-2003, 9:55 AM
I love ash - mills great, strong as al get-out, and looks nice. I like the smell when cutting it, too. FWIW, I'm building my workbench base from ash right now (16/4 ash is $2.50/BF here), and have a wine cabinet on the list that will also be ash.

One thing I'll say: I've noticed that ash yellows a bit with age; I've read that it's largely caused by UV. With that in mind, I tend to use thinned spar varnish as a topcoat.

Here's a train table I made for the three-year-old last year. Not a single dent yet.
http://screaminet.com/~braedan25/MVC-661F.JPG

Paul Kunkel
03-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Dan Bussiere
Paul,
The cabinets look great! What do you do for stain/finish? I do well when it comes to building, but I usually am disappointed with the color when I stain/finish. Thanks for your help.
Dan
This was no stain, just a wipe on Tung oil varnish-2 coats with a 150g sand between. SMOOTH:D

Mike Goodwin
03-05-2003, 10:11 AM
I am now convinced! I will be picking up a load of it this week. I had planned to build some free standing bookshelves with white oak, but now I will use the ash.

Thanks as always for the education!

Mike

Jennifer@Indy.USA
03-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Scott that train table is very cool! What kid wouldn't go nuts over that. Looks like a perfect height and built like a tank. Nice job!

Jennifer

Rick Balon
03-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I've just bought some ash for some trundle drawers, how can you tell if you have a beatle problem?

Dan Bussiere
03-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the reply! I will make something soon and give your advise a try. I'll show you all some pics. See, this is why I love this place!
Dan

Keith Harper
03-05-2003, 9:45 PM
I built our kitchen cabinets out of ash. They have been in use for nearly years without refinishing and still look great. Also, when I can get in 6/2 or thicker, I loves it for turning bowls, platters, etc.. Use it when ever you can get it.