PDA

View Full Version : storing plywood

jason lambert
11-14-2007, 3:03 PM
I basically have a cramped 2 car gurage shop. I need a thin rack to store a couple sheets of plywood on agenst a wall. Can I make a small rolling rack to store this wood on, has anyone done this or will it be to unstable?

glenn bradley
11-14-2007, 9:33 PM
The footprint required to keep a rolling rack stable is generally larger than a fixed footprint. Have you thought about hinges and wheels?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30818&d=1138731045

Mike Goetzke
11-15-2007, 1:00 AM
Have you tried looking up? I bought this HeavyLift at Menard's about 6-months ago . It has a 4'x4' platform, holds up to 250#, and raises/lowers with a hand crank or drill. I can lower the rack back my Suburban into the garage and slide the ply onto the rack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/EZ%20Smart/th_IMG_1634_2_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/EZ%20Smart/IMG_1634_2_1.jpg)

Mike

Don Hein
11-15-2007, 3:27 AM
Jason,

I have some pictures of a vertical rolling plywood storage rack that I made 10-12 years ago from a magazine project. I don't remember the mag or have the plans, but it would be easy to make just from the pictures and dimensions. It holds 5" thick of full sheets plus has a storage area for cutoffs. It is 8' long x 52" high x 17" wide at the base.

It's worked very well for me, and is stable, though I seldom move it. Normally I only move it when I need to retrieve something that fell between the rack and the workbench.

Unfortunately, the site doesn't want to let me load my pictures tonight, so I'll try again tomorrow.

John Grossi
11-15-2007, 7:00 AM
Mike, I just checked this out on Amazon. How close to the ceiling can you get the lumber, and what would be the largest board? Seems like a great idea. Thanks John

Don Hein
11-16-2007, 8:36 PM
Jason,

Ok. I think the pix are uploaded. The plywood rack is 8' long x 52" high x 17" wide. It is built on a base of 2x4s covered with a deck of 1/2" plywood. The tray on the front is 5" wide. 1x6s are faced on the base to provide a lip on both front and back. The uprights at each end are 2x4 material. The vertical upright is 51" long and the sloping upright is 48" measured on its front edge. 1x4 stringers are let-in to these uprights, three on the front to support the plywood sheets, and one on the back for rigidity and to hold cutoffs in the space behind the sheets of plywood. The uprights are half-lap-jointed to the base at the bottom, so the base should be made 94 1/2 inches long so that the 8' 1x4 stringers reach the full distance to the outsides of the uprights. There are six heavy-duty pivoting casters mounted in the space inside the base so as to provide the base a clearance from the floor of approximately an inch or less. These casters are mounted on chunks of 2x4 which are flatwise inside the base.

This plywood rack is very stable, however I seldom move it, usually only to retrieve something that's fallen down between it and the workbench. I can move it easily by myself, but normally I get someone to "drive" the opposite end, for safety.

I've used this for 10-12 years. The plan appeared in a magazine, but I don't recall which one, might have been Family Handyman.

"Jason Belous"
11-16-2007, 9:19 PM
if memory serves me correct, I think jim becker had a photo a while back of his storage rack with the plywood behing slid in behind his milled lumber, the orange could have me confused but I belive it was Jim.

Don Hein
11-16-2007, 9:24 PM
Another view. This is the back of the rack.