PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw / Dust collection question

Edwin Chavez
11-14-2007, 2:22 PM
Hi,

I Have a fairly new Jet cabinet table saw. Ever since I got it I have been wondering something. Inside the cabinet is the base of the inner area of the cabinet. Is this base supposed to be sealed all around the edges? As it is now, whatever dust isn't sucked up by the dust collection system either collects on this base or drops to the bottom since this base plate isn't sealed. There is a 1/8 gap around the entire base.

Is this normal and is this the way most cabinet saws are built?

The cabinet door also has slats about 10 slats in the door, that are about 3 inches wide, to further allow for more air flow... I am getting the impression that there is too much suction being lost in the cabinet.

Any insight would be appreciated!

This is basically the saw I own:
http://www.toolking.com/products/11000201.aspx?googlebase=708663RXK

Prashun Patel
11-14-2007, 3:35 PM
Not sure if it's standard or not, but my saw has the same problem.

I've found using a 4" hose connected through the bottom to the dust collector, plus a 2" hose hanging down just to the left of the blade connected to the shop vac catches almost everything (that I can see ;)
even when cutting mdf.

frank shic
11-14-2007, 3:38 PM
edwin, replace your blade guard with a sharkguard and you will cut down on your dust production dramatically.

Dan Forman
11-14-2007, 3:40 PM
Don't know what your saw looks like inside, but for dc to work to it's full potential, as much air has to come into the cabinet as goes out. It's just a matter of air exchange. Less in = less out, up to the point where the max flow of the impeller is reached.

Dan