David Savidge
11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Greetings,

Using an Epilog Helix, 35w. I am having a problem when starting to laser
a work piece on a sheet of AlumiMark.

The first part of the artwork is text, and my attempts so far have resulted
in the first 1/4" burning through the coating down to the aluminum. I have
adjusted the focus to try correct the problem. After the 1/4" then the focus
adjust makes any difference. The rest of the piece completes with the normal problems of keeping the piece flat.

I am planning to allot a portion of the piece as the start section to complete
focus adjustments, then have the laser jump to the real work.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it the Epilog equipment?

David Savidge
savcommlp@yahoo.com

Scott Shepherd
11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Can you be a little more specfic? Which AlumaMark is it? Silver Satin, Gold Satin, etc., what power and speed settings?

Also, can you try and explain it a little better, I was confused in the whole focus discussion.

If you are having problems keeping the material flat, there's a thread I posted on here that may help about pulling the material down. You might remove the stainless table and use the honeycomb and then follow that post :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68141&highlight=shopbot

I've had my fair share of AlumaMark issues and so far, they have all been traced back to the Satin Silver material. It's the least friendly of the bunch. I have even contacted tech support for them and they even told me that Satin Silver was super touchy when it comes to the laser and good results.

Gary Hair
11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I am a bit confused about the focus part as well. If you are "burning through" then it sounds more like a power/speed issue to me. More info about that would be helpful.

Gary

David Savidge
11-14-2007, 1:27 PM
The material is the Satin Silver based on the recommendation of Laserbits staff.

The settings I used; DPI-600, SP-30, PWR-10, auto focus ON. I do have a
problem how to modify the auto focus adjustment with our Helix machine.

About the focusing, I was just attempting to manually adjust the focus to
get the darkest lines possible. (based on info from Epilog and Laserbits)

I do have problems keeping the material flat during lasering. I am going to
try using a light spray adhesive a scrap wood. Something that is easy to
remove.

Let see... the only other info I can pass on is that every attempt has
produced that same results. When starting the lasering with the text
it always takes 1/4" before you see any black. I did run just the main
image that is in the middle of the plate and it seem to run fine.

David

Scott Shepherd
11-14-2007, 1:56 PM
Satin silver is the worst to work with if I remember correctly.

Try the same file on something other than Alumamark and see if you get the same 1/4" that doesn't show up. If so, then you have a laser problem.

The auto focus shouldn't be a part of the equation. It should work fine.

Can you post the Corel file here? I'll try it on a piece of Satin Silver I have and report back.

Mike Null
11-14-2007, 3:37 PM
Even though the auto focus should work try to manually focus it and once you have it in proper focus just change your speed and power settings. Alumamark is peculiar in that it responds better to slower speeds and lower power (up to a point).

I have not found Alumamark not to lay flat.

Marc Kohlbauer
11-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Are you saying that the uppermost part is acting like it is out of focus? I have an issue on our VersaLaser with the focus on Alumamark on the left inch or so of the table. It seems to be too hot for Alumamark in that field and I adjust for it by moving all Alumamark work over to the right by 2 inches. If you move your start point farther away from the edges of the table does it do the same thing? (space the artwork & plate down a 1/2" and attempt the same job)

Or maybe that is only my trouble :)

David Savidge
11-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks Marc.

I did try adjusting the artwork and had the same results. I am planning to
use a larger sheet of material to allow for a test strip to adjust the focus
if needed. Then complete the etching further down the sheet.

I'll keep everyone posted.

David

Mike Mackenzie
11-15-2007, 4:13 PM
Marc,

Alum a mark is very touchy material if you want to run it up against the rulers you have to slow the speed down and then adjust the power accordingly.

By moving it over one inch or two you can then use the speed as normal. This is pretty much on all systems using alumamark.