PDA

View Full Version : doh! (go513x bandsaw related)

alex grams
11-14-2007, 9:23 AM
They are on backorder, and will most likely not be shipped out until the end of December. Also ordered the shop fox mobile base from grizzly.

Now to wait.... and wait....

Greg Cole
11-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Alex,
Congrats on the saw.... I'm sure you'll like it when you get it.:D It's a good machine at a very good price.
I guess the upgrade to the X2 was even more worth it for me cause I can't stand waiting! I have to wait about a month for my 8" jointer from them as I wasn't smart enough to check availibility when I ordered it. Had I checked that jointer I bought was on backorder, I might have easily been pushed to upgrade to a larger one.:rolleyes:

Cheers.
Greg

alex grams
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I talked to the technicians there about the mobile base and the benefits of the cast iron trunnions. He said that the trunnions were the weak point on the 513 and 513x, but that he has never dealt with anyone having a problem with them cracking. The problem that they had was people throwing very heavy lumber up there to resaw, and not taking care and just dropping it on the table (which could damage any tool if you don't use it properly and abuse it). Resawing isn't a problem, but if i run large wood (such as 12/4 or even larger) just make sure you are patient.

I think the observation someone else made about the trunnion being replaced as more of an issue because the customers wanted it, not because the design so much warranted it was a pretty true observation.

I have no doubt the trunnions will be fine for me on the 513x. I just couldn't justify spending 100$ more for the 513x2, then also having to drop another 100$ for the resaw fence that comes with the 513x.

Also, they have a contract for liftgate service, which was only 30$, so that was a good deal.

Now, to just finish remodeling my garage to help with space saving so my wife won't be too abject to me getting more tools.

Jay Jolliffe
11-14-2007, 5:25 PM
I was putting off getting a band saw for awhile now and today ordered the G0513x2. I justified it to myself that I had a job coming up & had to resaw some wood. Why did you have to pay an extra 100.00 for the resaw fence, it says it comes with one. Also what would be a good blade to resaw hard wood? It's going to be interesting on the shipping since I live on an island that has ferry service. Told the guy, he says shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. Well see.

Greg Cole
11-14-2007, 5:34 PM
Jay,
I just took delivery on that saw last week. The resaw fence comes with any saw in the X series I think, one came with mine. For tall err wider resaws you'll want to make a BB ply or MDF one anyway....
In regards to blades, there's a thread a page or 2 deep here now on that subject.
I run a Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, 3/4" resaw style. But the birds are chirping loudly in my ear about a Tri Master carbide one....:cool: When the 'slicer needs to be replaced I'll most likely go with a Tri Master.

Greg

Jay Jolliffe
11-14-2007, 5:45 PM
Greg.....Do you have a mobile base for yours?
I'll need one for mine.

alex grams
11-15-2007, 8:37 AM
edited/removed for accuracy (the 513x2 does indeed come with the resaw fence) I stand corrected. (now someone tell my wife that i do admit when i am wrong!)

David Weaver
11-15-2007, 9:44 AM
I was putting off getting a band saw for awhile now and today ordered the G0513x2. I justified it to myself that I had a job coming up & had to resaw some wood. Why did you have to pay an extra 100.00 for the resaw fence, it says it comes with one. Also what would be a good blade to resaw hard wood? It's going to be interesting on the shipping since I live on an island that has ferry service. Told the guy, he says shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. Well see.

I just inadvertantly purhcased an 18-inch jet bandsaw last week, which also has cast trunnions on it (not sure who makes it now - but it doesn't look like Jet does, unless they blatently ripped off some of the design from Steel City). If you were really going to abuse a saw that much, you can either flex and bend stamped trunnions or crack cast trunnions. Regardless of how heavy duty the cast trunnion assembly is, there just can't be that much of it on a 425 pound saw. Cast sells on saws, though - people like it. I do, too, but I doubt I'll ever do anything to the saw that I bought that would break stamped trunnions and not cast trunnions.

You have to go to additional support at the edge of the table with stringers or something if you want to drop 150 pound logs on it.

alex grams
11-15-2007, 9:50 AM
exactly my thoughts david.

For my purposes, i doubt i will ever put anything on the saw that weights more than 100lbs, and even if i do, i will be extra attentive.

Like someone said before, i think it was a more customer/perception related change and less of performance change.

Take care of your tools and they will take care of you

Greg Cole
11-15-2007, 9:52 AM
Alex,
The X2 version includes the aluminum resaw fence. It wasn't in the crate by accident. And from Grizz's site:

FEATURES:
Deluxe cast iron fence with extruded aluminum re-saw fence
Miter gauge
4" dust port x 2
Quick change blade release/tensioner
Blade tension indicator
Larger 24" x 17" table
Micro adjusting geared table
Cast iron wheels
Height scale measurement
Blade tracking window
Includes 1/2" bladeJay,
I put a Shop Fox heavy duty one under mine. It's a might bit of overkill as it says it's rated for 1200 lbs.:rolleyes: But the heavy duty one fits the dimensions of the base better as it actually can be configured smaller than the medium duty one.... go figure?

I simply wanted CI trunions. No reason other that that. If it was $100, lahteedah money already spent, and I'm quite happy about it.:D

Greg

Eric Gustafson
11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
the 513x comes with the resaw fence, while the 513x2 does not. The 513x2 is 100$ more than the x, and the resaw fence is another 85$ value i would need to purchase if i got the x2.

I just checked the website and they both come with the "Deluxe cast iron fence with extruded aluminum re-saw fence."

Jeff Norri
11-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I have the G013X and I do think the stel trunnion are the week link, however no problems so far (about a year of use). If they ever do break, I guess I upgrade to teh cast trunnions as I understand they are compatible with the G013X

alex grams
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
You are correct greg, I just can't seem to be able to read. I updated my previous post to avoid confusing anyone else.

Brian Kent
11-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I assume this is a mistake in their Christmas catalogue then?????

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Christmas/12

Check out the GO513x that says in red letters:

"With cast iron wheels and trunion":confused:

alex grams
11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
good catch Brian. I wonder what they would do if you held their feet to the fire on the advertising.

Anyways: Seeing as I couldn't read before, i have updated my order to the 513x2 for 100$ more, seeing that it also includes the resaw fence, and they have it in stock, so i can expect it right before or after thanksgiving.

!!!

Greg Cole
11-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Timely arrival is worth it. Not too mention an upgraded part of the machine....;)
Don't forget to get a good blade as the stock one is umm.. well... reserved for cutting junk. LOL
Hopefully you can post pics when you get it, I can't seem to post any today.:confused:

Congrats Alex.

alex grams
11-15-2007, 1:12 PM
I had told my wife i was expecting it around the end of the year (based on the back order time) now to explain to her why it will show up in a week... hmm...

Greg Cole
11-15-2007, 1:18 PM
Good to be good, better to be lucky. :D
Or Santa made the heavy deliveries early to make room for the rest of his loot?

Greg

Richard Dragin
11-15-2007, 1:48 PM
I've had my 513x for a year now and really enjoy it. I have never seen a need for beefier trunions but will avoid dropping lumber on the table after having read this thread. Even though it is rated for 1/8" to 1" blades I would stay between 1/4" and 3/4" unless you want to run a 1/8" and change the guides to blocks. I resaw with a 3/4" from Suffolk and would recommend calling one of the distributors and ordering several blades based on your needs. Throw away the blade that comes with the saw as it is only there to keep everything tight during shipping I am sure.
I have it on the Shop Fox mobile base with no problems in stability.

When I ordered mine it was on back order but came in much earlier than I had been promised.

jim sauterer
11-15-2007, 5:20 PM
i called grizzly today they told me the 513x is sold out and no longer availiable.you would have to buy the 513x2.i missed the boat for 850.00

alex grams
11-15-2007, 5:50 PM
peculiar, just today they told me it was on backorder (but still due to have some in stock in a month or so).

I am sure they are discontinuing the model and replacing it with the 513x2.

Rob Diz
11-15-2007, 6:04 PM
For those of you with 513x, PapaGriz mentioned on another forum that you can buy a CI trunion if you like and retrofit your trunions. The CI trunions cost about $100 if memory serves.

I have the 513x, and he basically told me not to replace the trunions unless I was going to be resawing a lot of very long very heavy boards and I was concerned about the trunions. Apparently he uses the 513x in his shop to resaw for his guitars and won't be replacing his trunions, FWIW.

You will be happy with the BS. Grizz has great CS to boot.

Enjoy - I know I have since mine came in.

BTW, I have mine on a mobile base. I put a piece of 3/4 ply, which I tapped holes to match up with the BS base. The whole thing is bolted together and quite solid (for me at least).