PDA

View Full Version : Zero Clearance Insert

Jim Crockett
11-14-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a Craftsman 21830 Jobsite Table Saw that I am very happy with. My problem is trying to find a ZCI for this saw. There is a circular bar running the length of the saw (trunion perhaps) to the left of the blade that is only 1/4" down from the tabletop. Inserts vertical adjustment is through holes in the plate via capscrews screwed into ears, the tops of which are 7/16" below the table top.

I don't have a caliper or micrometer, but I would guestimate hat the original plate (metal) is between 1/16" and 3/32" thick.

I have made a insert out of hardboard and, while it worked, it flexed more than I liked. I also made one out of 1/2" plywood, routing a rabbet along the edges and a dado lengthwise to accomodate the bar. This works and it fits but is a real pain to create.

I have been trying to think of some material that I could use - must be slightly less than 1/4" thick - that wouldn't flex as the hardboard did.

- I don't feel that acrylic or polycarbonate would be a good choice but perhaps I'm wrong.

- Have considered phenolic - what does anyone think of this? Can phenolic be worked with woodworking tools?

- I would make one of aluminum but do not have the tools to do a good job cutting and shaping it.

- Another thought I had was that perhaps a 1/8" strip of hardwood glued to the underside of hardboard would stiffen it sufficiently to prevent the flexing.

If anyone else is using this saw, how have you overcome this problem? What ideas suggestions can the rest of you offer - all suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Greg Muller
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Jim,
Go with the phenolic. I have 5 different zci's made from the stuff. You can work it just like wood.

Greg

Rob Will
11-14-2007, 1:32 AM
I use 1/2" phenolic. Cut out the relief areas in a milling machine.

Rob

Bill Huber
11-14-2007, 1:44 AM
I have an old Craftsman and I use phenolic. I got the blanks for Rockler and use the router to shape it and cut it down to size.

75153 75154

John Gregory
11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Look on Amazon.com for Leecraft ZCI. If you can find the model that fits your saw, they have a buy 3 get 1 free offer. I have a Ridgid TS2424 which is similar to older craftsmen saws, the model mine take is CR-1

Lee Schierer
11-14-2007, 1:52 PM
I have made a insert out of hardboard and, while it worked, it flexed more than I liked.

I use luan plywood on my craftsman saw. GLue a 3/4 x 3/4 strip of wood ot the underside to eliminate flexing. It's a lot easier than routing the edges on ply wood.

Charles Wiggins
11-14-2007, 2:15 PM
I make my own zero-clearance inserts out of 3/8" UHMW plastic for regular blades, and 3/4" hardwood plywood for dadoes. I use the factory insert as a template and a flush-cutting router bit.