View Full Version : Domino alternate tenons

Scott Rollins
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Has anyone tried these (found on Ebay):

Tuffer Tenons for the Festool Domino Jointing System
Tuffer Tenon size: 5 X 30 mm
Kiln Dried Oak
Qty: 50
(***Larger discounted quantities are available upon request***)
(***Larger sizes and alternate species are also available upon request***)

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/aa/ef/3fca_1.JPG

Justin Bukoski
11-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't think oak is any tougher than beech...

Jeffrey Schronce
11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I don't think oak is any tougher than beech...

Agreed, however searching for them on ebay shows they are $1.29 for 50 which is about half of Festool Domino costs. Ebay posting also states quantity discount avail so if one was to order 1800 like in the Festool quantity it could be even less. My 1800 should last me a long time, but I would like to see their pricing on 10 x 50 as I am halfway through that box of 510. It would be interesting to see the size consistency etc as the domino is a very tight fit and is not going to allow a lot of varience in sizes.

Mitchell Andrus
11-14-2007, 1:20 AM
I make my own from scrap (free)
...about 30 minutes per thousand (nearly free)
...infinately variable in size and material (priceless).

John Stevens
11-14-2007, 8:48 AM
They're fluted on all sides, which is nice.

Over at the Festool Owners' Group forum, a guy from the company wrote that they would accept custom requests to make them in longer lengths, which could be useful.

I would like to see their pricing on 10 x 50 as I am halfway through that box of 510.

Yeah, I flew right through mine while making a bunch of storage shelves out of 2x4s--only have about half a dozen left. I've heard the 8mm will work just as well as the 10mm for wide stock, though.

It would be interesting to see the size consistency etc as the domino is a very tight fit and is not going to allow a lot of varience in sizes.

Yes, this is one reason I haven't tried making them myself in any quantities.

Regards,

John

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Is this an advertisement?
If so - - - Is the Creek getting some of the revenues?

Scott Rollins
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Not an advertisement on my part..I am thinking about buying the Domino machine and am researching the true cost of the system (how much time will it save vs router methods). I found these on Ebay when trying to find a used domino.

terry hansen
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I ordered these from the folks that make them - Cincinnati Dowel & Wood Products Co., a google will give you their info. They are making them in oak, walnut, cherry and some other woods. I purchased as I wanted to use a thru tenon on some drawers. I ordered over the phone and got great service - the folks were easy to deal with and shipped fast. So far I've been happy with the tenons, uniform size and good quality (bought 50 packs of oak and cherry in a variety of sizes to play with). The ability to purchase small lots was my deciding factor, although I believe they do have a minimum purchase. I'll order again from them as the ease outweighs the time to make my own. No affiliation other than a satisfied customer.

Rick Christopherson
11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Part of the reason why Domino has such accurate alignment of the joint is that the tenons fit the mortises so precisely. As much as this is the bane of dry fitting, it is required for final assembly. The concern that I would have is that these do not have the same tolerances as the Domino tenons.

Jeffrey Schronce
11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Ok, doing a price comparision it appears that the tenons from Cincinnati are just about the same price per 1000 versus Festool. That is oak tenon versus Festool standard beech tenon. So clearly there is no great cost savings here. Now having the option of different woods is cool if one was doing some through tenons or something.

Carl Crout
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Part of the reason why Domino has such accurate alignment of the joint is that the tenons fit the mortises so precisely. As much as this is the bane of dry fitting, it is required for final assembly. The concern that I would have is that these do not have the same tolerances as the Domino tenons.

It's not hard to make tenons. With a Wixey readout on your planer its a breeze to make them precisely the thickness that you want.