PDA

View Full Version : Pattern plate for drilling holes.

Kevin Stobb
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello....I am new to Sawmill Creek and this is my first post. I did a search and did not find anythink that I could work with.

I made a project in high school that involved drilling many holes in the top of a coffee table. These holes were drilled in a pattern that my girlfriend drew. When I covered the top with glass and put a light underneath the shape would light up and look pretty neat.

What I need is any advice on transfering that design onto something I can use to make a few more for gifts. I was thinking of puting paper on the top, and coloring the whole piece with a colored pencil hoping the holes would show up. I would then lay that paper on a piece of sheet metal that is form fitted to fit correctly onto the tabletop. I would then use a punch and hammer to dent the metal through the paper. Then I would drill small holes based on each dent. That way I could snap that pattern on the new tabletop and use a small punch and poke a hole into the wood at each hole.
I know this seems like a good idea to me, but maybe one of you has a better idea with less room for error.
Let me know if you have an idea, or a better angle on my idea.

Thanks in advance.

Ted Shrader
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi Kevin -

Welcome to the Creek.

I think your approach will work just fine. An alternate suggestion is to drill the holes in the metal plate the final size. Clamp the metal plate to the table top, then use the same size drill bit to make the holes through the wood top. This will save you the step of using a punch at each location prior to drilling. If you are making many copies, any extra time saved you will appreciate.

Either way, be sure to put a backing piece of wood on the bottom of the table top to minimize tear out at each drill hole exit.

Regards,
Ted

Kevin Stobb
11-14-2007, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the Reply Ted...I did have some tearout on the first one, so I will be sure to use a backer.

Also, I forgot to ask what would be my best way to drill the holes in the middle?? I do not have a DP with a deep enough throat to hit the middle. I want the holes to be drilled perfectly perpendicular with the tabletop. Could I use my variable speed plunge-router turned all the way down? This is a rookie question, but is there such a contraption where you can turn your cordless drill into a drill press?? I am going to do some research on that.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-14-2007, 6:46 PM
Google "drill guide". There are plenty out there. I have no experience with them.

A quick search found this:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=105318

Ken Deckelman
11-14-2007, 9:58 PM
My suggestion would be to make the template from 1/4" MDF. Then drill the holes the size of a bushing that fits in your plunge router, say 3/8", then use a 1/4" bit in the router and plunge cut all the holes. The holes will be straight and clean using this method.

A lot of shelf pin jigs use this method also.