PDA

View Full Version : Kryo tools 20-25% off. Worth it?

Alex Elias
11-13-2007, 9:37 PM
I've being eyeballing this tools for a while and CSUSA have then on sale. Does any of you have any experience with them? For the money does this sound like a deal or nothing to rush about?
Thanks

Pete Jordan
11-13-2007, 9:48 PM
Alex,

My last 3 tools were from creeker Doug Thompson. They are excellent and everything they are cracked up to be.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

Gordon Seto
11-13-2007, 9:49 PM
The HT Kryo is still M2 steel.
Take a look at this:
thompsonlathetools.com (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/)
They are made with a higher grade steel with the cryogenic heat treating.
Mark Baker of Woodturning Magazine (UK) has a very favorite report on the November issue (No. 180).
They are the same steel and same treatment as the original Jerry Glaser red handle tools.

Gordon

Cyril Griesbach
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I agree with what every one else has said so far. The Thompson tools are wonderful and Doug is a great guy. I have three of his gouges and think they're great.

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Doug you can't beat the price and can't beat the warranty either. His warranty is the best bar none.

Alex Elias
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
4 out of 4 same answer. I guess everyone can't be crazy. I owe to my self to look at them.
Alex

Alex Elias
11-14-2007, 12:51 AM
I just took a pick to some of the tools and have aquestion already. What is the difference between thev and u shape bowl gouges other than the ovbious shape?
Thanks

Bill Jack
11-14-2007, 3:55 AM
4 out of 4 same answer. I guess everyone can't be crazy. I owe to my self to look at them.
Alex

Make that 5. I also use Doug's Tools and think they're the best quality and value around. I couldnt find anything to compare with them here in the UK.
You wont be disappointed.
Regards, Bill

Bill Blasic
11-14-2007, 8:35 AM
Make it 6 I've got 8 or 9 of Doug's tools and they are about all I use anymore!

Frank Kobilsek
11-14-2007, 9:45 AM
Alex
The Thompson fans highjack your question. I too am interested in the Thompson tools but haven't bought one yet. I believe there is a difference between Thompson and Taylor Kyro's. Thompson are special powdered metal tool steel and cyrogenically treated while the Taylor Kyro's are HSS cyrogenically treated.

The exciting part for me of the Craft Supply sale is that it includes thier Artisan line of tools which are Henry Taylor tools that did not pass the finish inspection. Same great tool just not as shiney. 20% off a tool that I already think is a great value is a good deal.

No offense intended to the Thompson fans. I must admitt I am looking forward to trying one of those the next time I need to replace a tool.

Frank

robert hainstock
11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
where can iI look at them?:)

joe greiner
11-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Probably at www dot woodturnerscatalog dot com.

Extremely pleasant folks to deal with, BTW.

Joe

Ralph Lindberg
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
No experience with these tools

But I have spent time talking to a metallurgy engineer here at work about the concept (and HSS, etc)

Yes cryo treatment is real and does make a difference. The question is, does it make enough of a difference to make the price difference worth the extra money. I guess it comes down to if you think the extra $$$ are worth the time you don't spend resharpening the tool.

One of his questions (and he admits he has no idea the answer to this question)... Since the cryo-steel tools are harder, it takes longer to sharpen them. Do you lose the time sharpening them that you gain by not having to sharpen them as often????

Gordon Seto
11-14-2007, 11:32 AM

There is no middle man, no distributor, no kick-back, no mark-up, no discount; you can only get Thompson Tools directly from him.
He makes all tools by himself at his garage shop. The A-11 steel and cryogenic heat treatment are very expensive. Doug makes them affordable by not operating as a business, no overhead. He is a woodturner; has a full time job that pays his insurance, workers' comp etc.
He is a member of our NCWT Club in Cleveland, OH. He took his tools to our meeting and let members took them home to use till the next month. Most opted to purchase them instead of returning them.
Send him an email. If you belong to a club, chances are someone near you are using his tools.
The only comparable tool in the market is the Glaser Tools.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=glaser&Page=2
If you can afford them, the Glaser are better tools. They have very nice lead shot handles.
Give Thompson a try; they have the best value. If you don't like it; he will buy it back.

Gordon

Gordon Seto
11-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Since the cryo-steel tools are harder, it takes longer to sharpen them. Do you lose the time sharpening them that you gain by not having to sharpen them as often????

Yes, it only takes longer to SHAPE the tool; it makes no difference in refreshing the edge. If you don't intend to re-shape the grind each time you go to the grinder, you only need to touch the bevel very LIGHTLY. You use the same grinder set up as any HSS steel.

They can be honed very well between actually going to the grinders. The steel is expensive; you want as little metal taken away as possible.

I could be wrong on this. I don't think it is the hardness that makes this steel desirable to us. Hardness and brittleness go hand in hand. It is the wear resistance that makes this steel valuable to us.

Gordon

Brodie Brickey
11-14-2007, 1:16 PM
I just took a pick to some of the tools and have aquestion already. What is the difference between thev and u shape bowl gouges other than the ovbious shape?
Thanks

Alex,
The 'V' is deeper. The 'U' is more like a roughing gouge. I have both in 1/2" but use the 'V' more.

Glenn Hodges
11-14-2007, 6:02 PM
I own both brands and find myself using the Thompson V shaped more than any other. I hope he gets rich selling quality tools at an affordable price. This is what makes America great. This is an example of a company which has priced gouged (ha, ha) themselves into a corner.

Doug Thompson
11-14-2007, 9:50 PM
Alex, if your going to buy 20-25% is a good deal. IMO - this should be the everyday price. Cryogenics doesn't justify the extra cost they want for the tools but steel that's cryogenically treated is better than steel that's not.

On the soapbox;

I do understand there are many people who don't want to buy a tool unhandled or want a different shape flute. The only thing I offer people is a option because I got tired of paying the high prices for tools and decided to do something about it. It's the best I could do. I'm a woodturner first.

I have a good job and work 6-7 days a week, this pays the bills. Toolmaking doesn't pay the bills but is enjoyable and I've met thousands of great people over the last year, I wouldn't trade that for the world.

This is still new to me, sure I've made a lot mistakes but learned from them. Some ideas work and some don't. At the Ohio valley symposium I was so proud of everyone who bid at the auction because it proved one thing. The tools can raise a lot of money, down to the last gouge they held there value. (It was for a good cause so that helped) I didn't donate a few but 20 gouges that brought in over $1,100 for the club. I'm going to test the idea again with my club early next year.

Off soapbox

Alex, sorry to hijack your post.

Doug

Admin, You can delete this post if you want.

Keith Christopher
11-15-2007, 2:08 PM
Doug,

Can you make oval skews ? I've used several skews and I have found that the ovals slide better on the tool rest for me.

Keith

Alex Elias
11-15-2007, 4:09 PM
Say no more. I know what my next couple of tools are going to be.
Thanks to all for your info.
Alex

Doug Thompson
11-15-2007, 4:33 PM
Keith,
I know a oval skew won't be made. A skew and scraper have a such simple shape but they are very expensive to produce in a flat form let alone oval. The problem is this steel is very tough to machine, all the cutters are custom made with the best carbide and still don't hold up, M2 for example machines very well compared to this.

So that's the reason it won't be made, sorry I couldn't make one.

Doug

Gordon Seto
11-15-2007, 7:46 PM
Doug,

I've used several skews and I have found that the ovals slide better on the tool rest for me.

Keith

Keith,

To combat the problem, the edges on better skews are rounded on the short point sides ; therefore there is no sharp edges to rub against the tool rest. For the same reason, I seldom use my Sorby skews; they have square edges on 4 sides. For me, I don't like the oval skews; I find them not as rigid as a rectangular skew.

Gordon

Keith Christopher
11-16-2007, 3:05 AM
Keith,
I know a oval skew won't be made. A skew and scraper have a such simple shape but they are very expensive to produce in a flat form let alone oval. The problem is this steel is very tough to machine, all the cutters are custom made with the best carbide and still don't hold up, M2 for example machines very well compared to this.

So that's the reason it won't be made, sorry I couldn't make one.

Doug

Doug,

No problem, just thought I'd ask. :)

Keith

Keith,

To combat the problem, the edges on better skews are rounded on the short point sides ; therefore there is no sharp edges to rub against the tool rest. For the same reason, I seldom use my Sorby skews; they have square edges on 4 sides. For me, I don't like the oval skews; I find them not as rigid as a rectangular skew.

Gordon

Gordon,

Oh I know, I just like the movement across the tool rest of the oval skew. It just feels better personally, I've used many different skews but the oval just appeals to me.

Keith

Bill Blasic
11-16-2007, 8:41 AM
I agree with every thing that Gordon said except that the Glaser is a better tool. Look at the link that shows the Glaser tools and the first one that shows is the 3/4 U bowl gouge - $183.99. Doug's 3/4 U bowl gouge $95. The steel is the same technology, I think you would find no difference in cutting and sharpening. That means the handle is $88.99, I don't think that it is worth that extra money. I made three 14" aluminum handles at a cost of $15 each that will hold all of my Thompson tools and they can be weighted if necessary. Thompson tools are in my mind a super great value that you should jump on now as the price of everything metal is rising rapidly. I have no affilation with Doug other than belonging to the same club and really liking his gouges (I have most of them).

Gordon Seto
11-16-2007, 9:36 AM
Bill,

I agree with you that Glaser tool is not as good a value. I think if money is no object (seldom the case in real life, not me), I do like the Glaser handle. It doesn't roll off the table; no sharp edges and feels right in the hand. I think I have to give credit to the research that Jerry Glaser did. I have tried to make my handles; getting the right length and balance on the first trial is not that easy. The only drawback on his handles is they are cold in winter if you don't have a climate controlled shop.

I got my Glasers during the close out sales when Jerry retired and before I found out about the Thompson Tools. I can't honestly say Thompson is a better tool than the red handled Glaser except price. They are the same steel, same heat treating cryogenic process, same property. As a hobbyist, the saving is significant enough to covert me to Thompson Tools.

I am cheap, I didn't pay full retail price; I got them at close out. Now, probably I won't buy them even at that reduced price.

Gordon