PDA

View Full Version : advice drilling high speed steel

John Sheets
11-13-2007, 9:23 PM
Hi, Folks
I could use some advice on the type of drill bit I should use to drill HSS (M2 for example). I'm talking about a hole of 3/16 or 1/4 inch diameter, in stock maybe 3/8 inch thick.
Thanks,
John S

Gary Keedwell
11-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Drilling HSS, huh? No small task. If I was you, I would bring it to a machine shop and see what they say.
Gary

Bruce Page
11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Never say never but it can't be done. (Ok, maybe with a diamond drill on a specialized milling machine) The only practical way to get a hole into your 3/8” stock is by using a EDM (Electro Discharge Machining) machine. EDM’s have been around for decades but they still command a premium $$ shop rate.

Dale Lesak
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I had to drill some real hard shaft a while back. I Have a lot of drill bits and nothing would touch this stuff. I flattened a center punch on it. anyway I bought a ARTU bit from "Ace Hardware" and went through it like butter. here's the web sight
http://www.artu.com/drillbits.htm I how have a couple of sizes and they really work. PS. this company calls stainless a soft metal and if you have ever tried to drill stainless you know better.

Bruce Page
11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Dale, I suspect what you were drilling was case hardened steel, not HSS.

Gary Keedwell
11-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Dale, I suspect what you were drilling was case hardened steel, not HSS.
I had the same suspicion, Bruce.;)

Gary

CPeter James
11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a set of carbide drills for metal. They will go through anything, but it must be hard. Files and car springs are no problem. They are made for drilling out broken taps and drill bits, so HSS should be no problem.

CPeter

Gary Keedwell
11-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm not saying it can't be done. I, myself, have drilled out HSS with a carbide drill, but you have to have the right conditions and skill.
GK

Rob Will
11-14-2007, 1:30 AM
I think carbide might work but be prepared to throw away a couple of bits. I do this sort of thing in a milling machine with ample coolant flow. The hole most likely won't be perfect either.

Rob

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-14-2007, 9:44 AM
It makes a difference whether the HSS is hardened.

If it is the suggestions of EDM & diamond are on the mark. So too Grinding and burning.

If it's not hardened you can use a HSS twist drill bit.

I think that it'd be way better to re-think the reason for the hole and do it another way.

Gary Keedwell
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
It makes a difference whether the HSS is hardened.

If it is the suggestions of EDM & diamond are on the mark. So too Grinding and burning.

If it's not hardened you can use a HSS twist drill bit.

I think that it'd be way better to re-think the reason for the hole and do it another way.
Cliff,
You cannot drill HSS with a HSS drill. HSS is what it is. There is no hardened or unhardened HSS. ( as far as I know:confused: )
I don't believe I'm typing this because it looks too bizarre. Think I'll get a cup of coffee and read this again before I press the Submit Reply Button.
Well, I'm back and I think I am going to move on and press the button now. I still say you would be a step ahead by bringing your steel to a machine shop and see what they got to say.....
Gary

Mike Henderson
11-14-2007, 1:53 PM
Cliff,
You cannot drill HSS with a HSS drill. HSS is what it is. There is no hardened or unhardened HSS. ( as far as I know:confused: )Gary
The first HSS was invented by Mushet in 1868. It was not heat treated - it hardened when air cooled. In 1900, Taylor and White performed research experiments with various heat treatments and steel composition, finally settling on a formula that has essentially survived as T1 steel. But modern HSS is heat treated (to the best of my knowledge).

Mike

Gary Keedwell
11-14-2007, 2:15 PM
The first HSS was invented by Mushet in 1868. It was not heat treated - it hardened when air cooled. In 1900, Taylor and White performed research experiments with various heat treatments and steel composition, finally settling on a formula that has essentially survived as T1 steel. But modern HSS is heat treated (to the best of my knowledge).

Mike
Yea Mike, But it isn't HSS until after the process. After it is HSS you cannot harden it again???? AFAIK Original question was "advice on drilling HSS" not T1 steel :>)

Mike Henderson
11-14-2007, 2:20 PM
Yea Mike, But it isn't HSS until after the process. After it is HSS you cannot harden it again???? AFAIK
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Prior to heat treating, it's just alloy steel with the potential to be HSS

Mike