PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting plane iron sharpening

Curt Taylor
11-13-2007, 5:59 PM
OK guys, I'm another newbie to the site. Been woodwroking for years but just recently got the hand tools bug. Just gotta tell ya how good the info is on here, expecially @ the NH postings. I have a question about sharpening plane irons. I'm using a Veritas Mll jig and sandpaper that works very well so far. After watching a demo where all plane irons, to some degree, (depending on type/use) are preground to a radius then hand sharpened, thru out the radius, so that the edges won't dig in and leave marks. Making them all on the order of a plow iron but to a lesser degree. How is this accomplished with any type of jig??? Maybe I'm missing the obvious. Does a guy just have to break down the edges of the iron after using the jig to get it sharp, since the jig leaves a flat/ parallel bevel? Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Danny Thompson
11-13-2007, 6:13 PM
Lee Valley/Veritas sells a replacement "camber roller" for the Mk.II. It is similar to the standard roller that comes with the Mk.II except it is has a smaller radius at the ends than in the middle. The idea is you pop out the standard roller and pop in the camber roller, then hone as normal except make additional passes on the sandpaper pushing down on one side and then the other.

You can see it on the Lee Valley site as an accessory for the Mk.II.

Chris Friesen
11-13-2007, 6:16 PM
The gradual camber is really only necessary for the smoother, since it can take out any marks left by the others. You can do it by hand, but LV does sell a "camber roller assembly" for the MKII sharpening jig.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=54181&cat=1,43072,43078

On my jack (which occasionally doubles as a smoother) I just rounded off the corners of the blade. This leaves it mostly flat for use with a shooting board.

Don C Peterson
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
I sharpen most of my planes with a convex edge, I have found that the "Odate" plates sold by japanwoodworker.com are great for establishing the curve. After the shape is established I sharpen/hone by hand by just shifting pressure across the face as the stroke progresses down the stone.

About the only planes I don't sharpen with a convex edge are shoulder planes and small block planes.

Bill Brehme
11-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Heres the jig David Charlesworth uses in his videos to hone a convex edge: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3114

It has a smaller width roller than the MKII which allows you to rock the blade as you guide it down the sandpaper/stone.;)

Plus its only $12. Which costs less than the camber roller (alone) for the MKII. Heck, if it doesnt work, throw it away!:D

Curt Taylor
11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys. I'll do alittle experimenting to see what gets the job done.