PDA

View Full Version : How to finish both sides of a table top

Rod Tarrago
11-13-2007, 5:20 PM
This question may have a completely obvious answer, but here it goes. I built a nice Mission style end table and then went to finish it. Prior to finishing, separated the table top and shelf to finish them separately. Once I wiped on my first coat of varnish/poly, I went to turn the table top over but wasn't sure what to lay it on. What do most people do? Would you just finish it already assembled? What's the general procedure for finishing two sides of a piece when you can't spray it and have to lay it on something? Thanks in advance

Rod

Bob Childress
11-13-2007, 5:32 PM
My general procedure in your example is to wait until the first side dries thoroughly (which may be the next day) flip it, and lay it on two or more pieces of scrap wood to elevate it off the table surface, putting cushions on the scrap to prevent scratches. It's simple and effective, but very slow so you have to have some patience. Lots of hurry up and wait. :)

I elevate all my pieces off the table surface when finishing (even the already assembled ones).

Alex Yeilding
11-13-2007, 5:43 PM
I'd finish the underside first, then flip it and rest the table on a nail board--a piece (or two) of wood with nails driven through, with points in the air (you know, the way you never want to leave a board with nails in it on the ground). Ideally, space the nails so they will come into contact with the underside in an area that will not show (e.g., where the top will be resting on the frame). I have used the same approach with a tray, and even though there is not "hidden area", the nail points on dry but not cured varnish left negligible impressions (for the underside of a tray).

Mark Engel
11-13-2007, 5:48 PM
Alex beat me to it. :)

I drive 2" screws through random scrap pieces of 3/4" plywood, or whatever is handy, really. I usually dull the points slightly after I drive the screws through. It seems that a rounded off point leaves less of a divot. You can make as many of these supports as you feel is necessary to properly prop up your workpiece.

Todd Burch
11-13-2007, 6:47 PM
Perhaps easier, and more portable, is to actually drive the screws into the underside of the top where a leg or apron rail will hide it. That way, it won't get bumped off the nail points, or slide on them and scratch, and you have something to grab onto when you flip it. Start by finishing the underside, grab by the screws, flip it over, and do the top. Fast.

Todd

glenn bradley
11-13-2007, 9:41 PM
I finish the underside and sides, let it dry, flip it onto a couple pieces of scrap and finish the top and re-do the sides. Maybe I haven't tried it with something light enough but the bed-o-nails aways leaves more marks than I am comfortable with. I'd rather wait.

Jason Beam
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
My end tables mounted with clips and when it came time to finish them I took the tops off and put screws into the existing holes (where the clips were) and finished the bottom first. Flipped it over onto the screws and went to town on the top.

Jim Becker
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I'l coat the bottom of a table top with shellac, but I do that first before working on the top. In that manner you avoid any potential damage to the "money side". If you do need to turn over with the good side down, be sure the finish is cured and then use something soft to protect it.