PDA

View Full Version : Old Shaper

Rob Will
11-13-2007, 3:02 PM
I have a line on an old cast iron shaper. The brand is a Gallmeyer & Livingston Co. ,Grand Rapids, MI.
It looks a lot like an old Oliver or Porter. Yes, this is an OWWM question but I wanted to ask you guys first.

Actually, two questions:

The drive is an enclosed flat belt arrangement. The motor is an older style but looks to be compatable with with newer NEMA frame sizes. There is a decent looking motor mount and belt tensioner.
Are flat belt drives ok on a shaper?

The spindle is mounted in a large dovetail slide and the up and down adjustment works fine. Here's the weird part. The spindle is very short, only protruding a couple of inches above the upper bearing. Currently, the top of the spindle is equipped with a 1/2" collet (for router bits only).
Have you ever seen an old shaper spindle that interchanges with a collet?
Not sure I understand what is going on here.

I want to put a small Byrd cutterhead on a shaper for doing pattern work. Perhaps I need to keep looking.

Thanks for adding your thoughts to this,

Rob

Mike Ruggeri
11-13-2007, 6:20 PM
Rob,

I used to have a G&L shaper like you described. It was the enclosed flat belt version with the dovetailed slots to raise and lower the assembly. Lots of cast iron and heavy for a "medium duty" shaper. Mine had a cast iron door on the bottom of the base that said "Union". Also, mine was set up with a 3/4 inch spindle that had a good amount of room under the nut. The spindle on mine was solid - i.e. where the belt attaches it is the same piece of metal that goes up through the bearings and gets reduced to 3/4inch where you put the cutters on. Hence, no ability to change to a router collet.

I got rid of mine when I moved in January, but I still have an extra cast iron top for one of those that I kept (thought it could make a cool router table someday but I doubt I will every get to it) and I might have an extra spindle (I will check tonight if I still have it). I know I have digital photos somewhere of the spindle as I took some pictures when I rebuilt mine. As I don't know how to post pictures here (I know I have to learn) shoot me your email address and I will send them to you.

Mike

Rob Will
11-13-2007, 7:13 PM
PM sent.....