PDA

View Full Version : planer advise foor a newb?

John Kali
11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello, I am just getting into woodworking and I need a planer. I did some searching but didn't quite find what I wanted. Can you guys/gals point me in the right direction for a sub $500.00 planer.
Thanks in advance, John K.

Matt Day
11-13-2007, 1:07 PM
If you've got $500, the Dewalt DW735 is just a bit more at $529 right now at the jungle and is a great planer from all the reviews I've read. I've got the DW734 and have no complaints.

alex grams
11-13-2007, 1:07 PM
most everyone will throw in these models:

Dewalt 735 (roughly $500, maybe up to $550, and most all recommend infeed/outfeed tables, which cost another 50$ or so). Disposable 2 sided blades.

Dewalt 734 (same as 735, but only 1 speed). Around $300-$350.
Resharpenable blades (depending on how confident you are that you can get them to be even sharp edges). Most claim that this does well enough on its own that you don't need the second, lower speed that the 735 offers.

Delta 22-580. Around 400. Good reviews for the most part.

Ridgid TP1300LS. Around 350. Most people seem hesitant on this because of the availability of replacement blades (to which i cannot attest). But those who do have it seem to be impressed with it.

Other ones not listed:

Makita
Grizzly has one people list
A few craftsman that people seem to like.

Hope this helps.

Jason Beam
11-13-2007, 1:23 PM
Dewalt 734 - best bang for your buck.

You don't need two speeds. It comes with feed tables and a dust port (unlike the 735). It's only 1/2" narrower (12.5") and the blades are NOT disposable :)

John Kali
11-13-2007, 1:37 PM
Wow, great replies, thanks guys!! Looks like one of the two Dewalt models mentioned will likely be my choice

Greg Cole
11-13-2007, 2:12 PM
John,
I have a Rigid TP1300 that I've ridden hard and put away wet for awhile now. For what I paid for it (free for making a snake enlcosure for a co-worker), it does very well up to about 8-10" wide boards (depending on the wood species), more than that and you're asking a small machine to do a big machines job. I have some 10" hard maple that the planer doesn't seem to like so much if I try to cut off more than 1/64'ish.
If you work alot of figured material, save your $ for one equipped spiral carbide style cutter.
Surface finish is good, blades last a good while & are double sided. Blade change setting is a cinch too. 4" DC line easily handles the chips that it creates.
Makita and DeWalt lunchboxes all do well from what I read-hear as well as the Delta.
IMO, if I was going to buy a new DW 735 with tables etc, I'd save a few more pennies & dollars for a more capable bigger unit as they're not "that much more" (something we all like to say but don't like to hear).

Worth the price paid....
Greg

John Kali
11-13-2007, 2:22 PM
IMO, if I was going to buy a new DW 735 with tables etc, I'd save a few more pennies & dollars for a more capable bigger unit as they're not "that much more" (something we all like to say but don't like to hear).

Greg

Thanks Greg, that makes sense because I don't want to have to upgrade in a year or two when I start tackling bigger projects and want a more capable machine. Could you name a few machines you would suggest I look at, and how much more expensive they are?
Thanks again, John K

Greg Cole
11-13-2007, 3:37 PM
Hi again John,
There are many many brands to chose from & not too many true differentiating features...... I won't really say one is THE BEST. I have brands I like (the big bear brand or the Canadian one) but can't say much about brands I've never touched nor owned. There is much info on the creek & net on the others.
I will back track a wee bit....I do know many that start with a lunchbox style keep them when they upgrade (unlike many other tools), so there is one reason to jump on the lunchbox purchase now. Many of the big boys have serrated steel rollers that leave a little clean up on the planed surface & if the stock will fit a "finish pass" on a lunch box is the ticket.
Now forward I go....I will most likely wind up with a 20" unit with spiral cutterhead,"one of these years" but that also requires me to upgrade the jointer as I am a big fan of "tool slaving".... but my little Rigid won't go anywhere when I get to that point unless it craps out before then.
I know you don't ask questions for the what-ifs-ands & buts we like to toss out there...... BUT there are so many different options & trains of thought for doing much the same thing in our hobby. Budget, shop size & percieved need (ok, sometimes it's an actual need) usually are the big 3 for me.
FWIW, had I to shell out my $ for a lunchbox style, I most likely would have bought the DW734 or 735 (depending on respective prices-sales when buying) just for the spiral steel knife & 3 blade cutterhead versus my Rigid.
I think I need to shuddap sooner or say more with less blab.:cool:

Greg

John Kali
11-13-2007, 3:56 PM
Thanks again, Greg, and everyone else that participated in the thread. I think I saw a Dewalt 735 never used, and listed for 350...I'm going to jump on it!

alex grams
11-13-2007, 4:08 PM
doh, where did you manage to find one for that price?

Greg Cole
11-13-2007, 4:14 PM
Alex,
SMC Classifieds has one for $375 in FLA. No clue where you are though....
Flea bay is littered with refurb'ed ones that aren't too much more than that $350 price.... FWIW.

Cheers.

John Kali
11-13-2007, 4:22 PM
Yup thats the one in the SMC classifieds...I just committed to the purchase...wooohooo!!!! I cant wait to pick it up!!

Greg Cole
11-13-2007, 4:24 PM
Don't forget pics must accompany a gloat.... or the sherriff will come riding down on ya.... :D
Nice to have a planer in the shop for sure.

Congrats.

John Kali
11-13-2007, 4:33 PM
LOL...I am most likely going to pick it up over thanksgiving weekend and when I return will start up a "gloat" thread with pics...Thanks again for the help guys!