PDA

View Full Version : Handle and Tote Replacement - What Type of Wood?

Dwain Lambrigger
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
All,

I am in the process of refurbishing some Bailey's (3,4,5 and a 6) and one of them needs a new tote and handle. I would like to try my hand at shaping them myself. Since these are users, I am not particularly set on using the original rosewood again. Can any hard wood be used? Are there some that those of you with experience prefer? Why. Please get as detailed as possible. I always appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Bill White
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess that it's up to you as far as species of wood (though I would not rec. any softer woods). Grain orientation will be important for strength. Grain should run front to back, not side to side. Think about how you were tought to hold a baseball bat.
Bill

Mark Stutz
11-13-2007, 2:09 PM
Dwain,
I think about anything could be used. I've seen some very n ice totes from Walnut and Paduak, and of course Cocobolo (a rosewood), and LV uses Bubinga...so whatever you have should work. Can't wait for the PICS!:D ;)

Michael Schwartz
11-13-2007, 2:24 PM
Cherry makes nice plane handles.

Osage Orange is great for chisel handles

Mike Henderson
11-13-2007, 3:14 PM
I've used both cherry and walnut. Both look fine - just depends on the look you want - light or dark.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
11-13-2007, 3:49 PM
I have used cherry with great results. Cherry is a good carving wood so it shapes well. I use boiled linseed oil mixed 50/50 with paint thinner for a finish.

Zahid Naqvi
11-13-2007, 4:08 PM
I have used red Oak as well as Cherry. To me look doesn't matter, else I'd use walnut/cherry/cocobolo etc. I think Ash would work fine as well. Any hadwood which has strength against along the grain load would work. I like Oak because I have sweaty hands and the open grain of Oak helps. While the tactile feel of oiled Cherry can't be beat.