PDA

View Full Version : Another Chisel Question

Ron Hedrick
11-13-2007, 9:40 AM
The newbie is back with another chisel question. My mortising chisels are just what the doctor ordered and I think that my first hand cut mortises and tenons worked out beautifully. They are tight and fit together nicely. Thanks to all that helped me with this dilemma.

My next question is this. I want to start doing handcut dovetails. Do any of you use dovetail chisels and do you really need dovetail chisels or are they a luxury?

Also I will say that IMHO, the folks on this side of the forum are the most helpful. I think that I like the Neander side because you don't get into looking your nose down on others if they don't have the top of the line Unisaw or 18+" bandsaw or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

harry strasil
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
yeah the large flow of electrons doesn't create a flux of magnetism to rotate the little wheel on the electric meter into warp speed over here. It does however create a run on over the counter sore muscle topical ointments.

Not that the occasional time saving tailed monster is not used to do some of the labor intensive, muscle aching jobs. Complete with the necessary ear plugs, safety goggles, and dust mask requirements. We can actually hear the radio playing and the lights don't dim when we cut a board or make a mortise.

And after laying out the work, we don't create a winters worth of scrap doing final set up on a tailed monster.

The two noisiest things I have in the shop are a lunchbox planer and a shop vac.

LOL, sorry about the rant. I don't have designated dovetail chisels just use my ordinary every day chisels. Guess I could have said that at the start and my fingers wouldn't need BenGay.

Don C Peterson
11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I won't claim to have a ton of experience, but I have cut a few dovetails and have never really wished for a "dovetail" chisel. Regular beveled edge bench chisels do just fine in my book.

Most of my bench chisels are the Matsumura Blue Steel Cabinetmakers Chisels found here: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?dept_id=12775

I really like them, but I recently bought a single LN bench chisel, just to try it out, and I have to say that I've been impressed so far. The one problem with the Japanese chisels that I've found is that the edge is so hard that it chips if you aren't careful. But I don't think I've ever been able to put such a keen edge on any other cutting instrument.

mike holden
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Ron,
dovetail chisels are a luxury.
For half-blind dovetails, a narrow skew helps, but again, is not necessary.
I learned, and made many acceptable dovetails with my marples (now irwin) chisels.
A good saw is more important than the chisel, but again, you dont need expensive, a 40 dollar japanese saw works fine.

If you have some bucks burning a hole in your pocket, then go ahead, nice tools feel good, and give some inspiration to live up to - but not necessary.
Mike

Ron Hedrick
11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I think that I'll take my money and buy some nice wood. Thanks to all for the advice.

Jack Camillo
11-15-2007, 8:55 PM
Got myself one japanese dovetail chisel just now. (my grandpa is turning over in his grave - he fought 'em in the philipines and they wanted to kill him bad). Anyway, a fine chisel it is! I got it because I can't get my BORG special chisel down in the ho between the tails, and this is a special piece I'm building my wife with fancy dovetail drawers.

Bob Smalser
11-15-2007, 9:14 PM
My next question is this. I want to start doing handcut dovetails. Do any of you use dovetail chisels and do you really need dovetail chisels or are they a luxury?

Also I will say that IMHO, the folks on this side of the forum are the most helpful. I think that I like the Neander side because you don't get into looking your nose down on others if they don't have the top of the line Unisaw or 18+" bandsaw or whatever.

Dovetail and skew chisels are a luxury at this stage of your game. What you can't reach with your bench chisels you can using a common utility knife.

And don't fret over individual comments. I don't have those fancy shop machines either, yet don't have any trouble getting the attention of the Normites.

It ain't the tool. Never was and never will be.

Bill White
11-16-2007, 9:51 AM
Like what Bob said....."it ain't the arrow, it's the indian".
Bill