PDA

View Full Version : Trust me. Don't ever do this.

Alex Elias
11-13-2007, 6:40 AM
This is a good reminder to pay attention when working with power tools. Also turnig at 2 in the monirng is not the best idea either.
For those of you who own a lathe with forward and reverse feature and use the reverse to sand the items you turn, make sure you put it back on the forward possition before you attenpt to continue hollowing the inside of a box. The tool will have a tendency to pull upwards into the rim of the item being turn and a nasty mule quick most likely will occur. Not that I did such a stupidity, this was a guy I used to know, after he did this I stoped talking to him.:D Needless to say the box is not polished or finished due to frustration. But it is a good schooling and a reminder of how a few hours went to the trash. Leave and learn.:)
Regards,
Alex
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Broken-box.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Broken-box-01.jpg

Jim Becker
11-13-2007, 7:28 AM
So...carve that opening smooth and symetrical and call it an artistic feature! ;) ("stuff happens")

John Hart
11-13-2007, 7:53 AM
Or....you could turn a cool little spindle and leave a block on the end....then carve out the oops to fit the block....and it would be a little lidded sauce pan!

Too pretty to abandon yet!;)

Bonnie Campbell
11-13-2007, 7:53 AM
That's to bad. But I would cut and sand that hole smooth. Tell everyone it is your test honey pot..... all it's missing is the honey dipper. Get turnin'!

Tim A. Mitchell
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
You could cut out that and the other side to make it symetrical. If you can still chuck it up, you could fill them in with another wood and return for a segmented / inlay look.

Paul Engle
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Cut 3 sides to match and call it a potpouri thingy, your wife will love you for it:D

Brian Brown
11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Alex,

Can You say "Natural Edge". Accidents are naturally occuring, so it fits. I agree with others that this is too nice to use for firewood. There have been some good suggestions for an "on the fly re-design". I definitely think you should try to fix it, then post pictures. We would like to see the new piece.

Brian

Frank Kobilsek
11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Alex

Use your Dremel to smooth out that notch. Then carve a little spoon that fits. Use it as a sugar bowl.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Or toss it in the grill and call it smoke!:eek: JUST KIDDING DON'T YOU DARE. This is an esy fix with any of the ideas above. I personally like the sugar bowl idea. This has some very nice design elements to it. Spoon recess included. See I always thought you had to take it off the lathe to do something like that. Now I know better.:rolleyes:

Dusty Fuller
11-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Sugar bowl sounds good. What wood is that, by the way? I should probably be able to tell, but I can only shove so many things in the memory box.

Dusty

Alex Elias
11-13-2007, 2:28 PM
Well guys thatnks for the replies. I would love to make that into a sugar bowl if it was larger than 1 3/4" in diameter ad taller. I could make a Barbie sugar pot thought. I will not rash it, nor fix it. I'll keep it as it is, hopefully I can make more without the reverse feature and that will be there to tell the story.
Thanks