PDA

View Full Version : Plane recommendation for panels

Juan Lauchu
11-12-2007, 8:59 PM
What hand plane would you recommend when working with various size glued up panels? Mostly hardwoods; table tops, furniture sides, etc... I had thought about getting a LN Low Angle Jack Plane.
Would like to hear what you gents are using.

Derek Cohen
11-12-2007, 9:21 PM
I would rather go for the LV LA Jack - it is a bit wider than the LN, and has more heft. Plus it has a depth stop for the mouth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Marcus Ward
11-12-2007, 9:23 PM
Get an old stanley #5, a #7, and a #4 and go to town. You can probably find all 3 in user condition for under 75$ if you're patient. That's what I use, anyhow.

Dwain Lambrigger
11-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I am looking for the 7, and I would LOVE to find one under $45.00! I don't have any antique sales, and have been looking at yard/garage/estate sales for months. Ebay is my only source, and their prices are going up.

Fives and fours can be had for a song, but I am not sure about the cost of the seven.

IF someone finds a deal on one that can be refurbished, let me know!

Marcus Ward
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
You must not be looking very hard on ebay because I've seen several end in the last few weeks for well under $45. You can't wait for the deals to come to you. Join the oldtools mailing list. On the first monday of the month the sale flyers go out and if Ed O has a #7 it'll be affordable. Where are you located that doesn't have any antiques?

Pam Niedermayer
11-13-2007, 6:54 PM
What hand plane would you recommend when working with various size glued up panels? Mostly hardwoods; table tops, furniture sides, etc... I had thought about getting a LN Low Angle Jack Plane.
Would like to hear what you gents are using.

If your purpose is to flatten (vs smooth) the panels, either the LN LA Jack (which I have and love) or the LV LA Jack will do a fine job. With either of these you can also smooth well enough for a light sandpapering final smooth.

Pam

Juan Lauchu
11-13-2007, 7:00 PM
Pam,
What other uses do you have for the LN LA Jack? I have read on other forums that this is the "plane of choice" or "the first plane I grab." I like the idea of getting one plane that I could use predominately for flattening panelsb but may have other uses. Thanks

Geoffrey Keating
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Juan,

I use the LV low-angle jack for almost everything. Flattening, jointing edges, shooting miters, you name it. It works great.

Their bevel-up smoother is also "amazing" (reversing grain, whatever; it doesn't matter). I recently got it, and don't know how I lived without it before. I basically don't have to sand anymore. Just finished a large table top (walnut with some really tricky spots). Flattened with the jack, smoothed with the bevel up. I gave a couple of gratuitous passes with a card scraper and sand paper just because I felt I should.

Between those two planes (and the LV block) I don't really use anything else. I have several others that are collecting dust.

Good luck.

Pam Niedermayer
11-14-2007, 4:25 AM
Pam,
What other uses do you have for the LN LA Jack? I have read on other forums that this is the "plane of choice" or "the first plane I grab." I like the idea of getting one plane that I could use predominately for flattening panelsb but may have other uses. Thanks

This is still my recommendation for anyone's first plane. It was the first metal one I was able to get to work, and it's so flexible, truly amazing. However, as I started using almost all wooden bench planes, I find don't need it so much anymore, its functions have been replaced by specialized planes like jointers, smoothers, etc.

I suspect this is just the natural process. I still have it, still use it now and then; but I'm thinking of selling it. Fortunately, LN planes sell for top dollar, so using it for several years shouldn't cost me much; and I've gained a wealth of experience and enjoyment.

Pam

Juan Lauchu
11-14-2007, 8:03 AM
Thanks Geoffrey. That's great information. I'm only really just getting started into hand planes. I'm still quasi power tools and hand tools. I don't have a shop full of power tools and I honestly don't want one. I started with a LN small block plane and really enjoyed using it. I wanted to get another plane and thought about what I would need to do mostly. Again, this has helped. As well as this forum. What a great wealth of information.
Have a great day,
Juan