PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Sanders

Kurt Strandberg
11-12-2007, 8:21 PM
I know the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/belt Spindle Sander gets good reviews here but has anyone ever used the smaller ones from Grizzly, like the G9922 Oscillating Spindle Sander or the G0538 1/3 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander?

I don't want to spend much more than about $250.00

Thanks

Jeffrey Schronce
11-12-2007, 8:56 PM
I have the G0538. It is one of the few bench top machines in my shop. I debated between this type of machine and a larger floor unit. The G0538 has done everything I have wanted it to do. I like its design and price better than the highly regarded Ridgid unit. I have no use for the small edge sander option on the Ridgid.

Todd Burch
11-12-2007, 9:03 PM
I have 3 spindle sanders. Well, I had 3, and now I'm down to 2. I just sold a MAX brand 3ph floor mount OSC. It was great. Didn't have the space.

That leaves me with a cheapo Sears table mount OSC and a Porter Cable hand held OSC. Just like the previous poster's machine, this little Sears unit takes a lickin and keeps on ticking. It store under a cabinet, very light weight, multiple different diameter spindles. My only beef with it is that it whistles when the spindle is at it's highest travel. Very annoying. And, of course, the PC works like a champ, but it cost upwards of $500. It paid for itself the day I bought it (3 years ago and I haven't used it since).

So, my advice - go cheap - it will probably do the job just fine.

Todd

Steve Kohn
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I have the same spindle sander as the Craftsman only labelled as a Ryobi. Also have used it extensively without problem.

The only issue is that the base is not adjustable for tilt. Several times I have had to add a secondary base to sand a part at an angle.

Bart Leetch
11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I have had the older Ryobi & looked at the Grizzly both models & the Table top Delta Boss. I have only one thing to say save your money for a Jet. I am really glad I did. It will only take a little while longer to save the difference between the next closest look alike & the real thing. Don't get me wrong I have several Grizzly tools & will buy more in the future. But this isn't one of them compared to the Jet.

Robert Waddell
11-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I've got the Grizzly 1/3hp model and the Rigid osscilating edge sander. The Grizz I've had for several years. I've worn out the top on it I've used it so much. The motor is still going stong. The recently bought Rigid I really like for most things because the edge sander transitioning into a 3" drum works for all but one of my products.(I'm a one man craft production shop) I keep the Grizz set-up now with a 1" spindle and I never have to change the spindle on either one of them. I think most of these bench top's will work well for you if you do small projects. If you want to use one to shape large furniture parts you should look at a floor model otherwise pick your color.
Rob

John Stevens
11-13-2007, 8:54 AM
Would owners of the Ridgid, Grizzly, Ryobi, Sears or Jet care to comment on dust collection? I'm assuming they all have the ability to hook up to a dust collector, but I'm curious how much dust goes into the air?

Regards,

John

John Hedges
11-13-2007, 9:29 AM
Gotta agree with Bart on this one. The Jet is built like a tank, and it is the only one that will take a 3" spindle, which comes in VERY handy, and it has a tilting table, which is also nice. As far as dust collection, any model with a tilting table will lack in this department, however the link below shows a very simple way to make the dust collection really good when the table is at 90 degrees

http://www.meackerman.com/tools/jbos5.htm

Todd Burch
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
John, as long as I remember to hook up the 2 1/4" hose on the Sears unit, it's dust collection works well ;) - although it whistles on the high stroke.

It works much better than you would think when looking at it.

Todd

Gary McKown
11-13-2007, 11:53 AM
John - I have a 4-YO Ryobi ($99 at HD with spindles from 1/2" to 3" plus 3 sets of paper) and the dust collection works very well either with the DC or a shopvac, as long as the correct insert is used for each spindle size. It doesn't whistle but there is a decided *whoosh* with every stroke.

As stated, the cast iron top is not tiltable. I bought this despite some rumblings at the time about reliability (it is the only Ryobi thing I own), and have never wished for anything else except very infrequent need for a tilting table. I haven't seen these around for some time, but Harbor Freight has a model that looks to be a close cousin.

Mark Patoka
11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Would owners of the Ridgid, Grizzly, Ryobi, Sears or Jet care to comment on dust collection? I'm assuming they all have the ability to hook up to a dust collector, but I'm curious how much dust goes into the air?

John,
I have both the Delta BOSS and the Ridgid and if I hook them up to my DC or shopvac I notice very little dust. The built-in dust collection bag on the Delta didn't work very well for me but others have said they had no problem with theirs.

John Stevens
11-13-2007, 1:09 PM
Thanks, guys!

Regards,

John