PDA

View Full Version : First segmented bowl attempt

Jim Kountz
11-12-2007, 5:16 PM
Well here is my first try at a segmented bowl. Im happy with the way it turned out really for a first try anyway. Its maple and cherry, 25 pieces altogether. The discoloration in the maple kind of looks bad, Im not sure what it is but I had about four boards like this and thought I would use some for practice. That way if it didnt turn out good I wouldnt be out much. Now I wish I had used some better stuff!!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Jim

TYLER WOOD
11-12-2007, 5:23 PM
Not too shabby for a first time. I want my first time to be that good!:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2007, 5:29 PM
Looks pretty good Jim! You're ahead of me as I haven't attempted a segmented anything yet. All the joints look good. Looking forward to seeing your next segmented piece!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2007, 6:23 PM
Jim......nicely done! I'd say for your first that's excellent!

Tom Sherman
11-12-2007, 7:01 PM
I agree Jim, very nice.

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Jim, are you hooked yet? Are you going to venture down the "segmented" road? Nice job on your first attempt. They get easier and easier until you decide to go crazy with much more complex designs. Have fun.

BTW, is there really a place called "Almost Heaven"?

Jim Kountz
11-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Malcolm, I think I am definitely hooked! It seems so much smoother and easier to turn these segmented turnings over what I have been doing. I have to say your book inspired me alot, some of those pieces you have in there are just amazing. Very well done.
My grandfather made alot of segmented turnings some years ago and gave them to several family members now I want to do the same. Its very addicting!!

Jim

PS There is no real town called "Almost Heaven" that Im aware of. Im in Augusta, WV.

Robert McGowen
11-13-2007, 8:25 AM
Looks good Jim. Onward and upward from here!