PDA

View Full Version : tulip poplar bowl

TYLER WOOD
11-12-2007, 2:00 PM
second contribution to auction. Also wood from Mark.

Tulip poplar, not fond of the form. Say what you want about the form I know it's not very good. Again comment and critique away.

6" wide, 4" tall, burned the rim not solid. This piece I wanted to be very rustic looking. Sorry for the horrible photgraphy!!!!

George Guadiane
11-12-2007, 2:33 PM
OVERALL, the shape is actually nice. It would have been better (IMHO) if the foot were a little smaller (diameter). I also noticed a couple of tool marks in the end grain, they are REALLY hard to get out, for anyone, in any wood (till you get the hang of it).
Mission accomplished, the look is classic/rustic!

robert hainstock
11-12-2007, 2:43 PM
TYLER,
TOU ARE THE ONLY ONE HWO NEEDS TO JUDGE IF THE SHAPE IS RIGHT OR NOT. IT LOOKS FINE TO ME, AND SEEMS TO PRETTY MUCH BE LIKE MY FAVORITE BOWL SHAPE. ACTUALLY TO ME THE MOST POPLER BOWL SHAPE IS BORING, BUT THEN I'M JUST AN OLD FUDDY DUDDY!
BOB:eek:

John Hart
11-12-2007, 3:16 PM
Yep...me too. I kinda like the form. That wood sure has some cool colors in it and that lil' bit of spalting is kind of a teaser.

Paul Engle
11-12-2007, 3:38 PM
Tyler the shape is very pleasing to me , the foot needs to shrink ...maybe, and the finish/ ing needs some work on the tear out. Over all on a 1-10 scale its a .. wait for it .... 9.9 ( and the crowd goes wild , can ya hear em ???) :D

TYLER WOOD
11-12-2007, 3:58 PM
The part I think you guys are seeing as tear out, is not. It's a natural void in the wood. I sanded and sanded on that spot. It goes almost all the way through. I agree on the foot diameter shrinking, I thought about it, but could not put myself to touch the gouge to it again. This piece wanted to destroy itself one way or the other. I was actually proud of being able to keep it from it destroying itself (I fought this piece the whole time, probably the toughest piece I have turned.)

Thanks for all the nice comments. I guess the reason I'm so hard on this piece is I saw something great coming out of this chunk of wood. It did not match my personal expectations.

Glenn Hodges
11-12-2007, 4:57 PM
Tyler that picture on the right is super. It shows great form. The middle one is the picture I like the least. I tend to agree with a smaller foot on the next one would be better.

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2007, 5:16 PM
Really like the wood on this one Tyler! Great color and grain! Nothing wrong with the overall shape of the bowl but agree with most everyone else that a smaller foot would possibly look better.

steven carter
11-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Tyler,

I like the bowl a lot. It's easy to look at photos and have an opinion about what would look better, but it seems to me that when I'm doing a bowl, sometimes the shape is dictated to me by the wood. Maybe it is just because my skill level is not what it should be, but I feel better about the end result when I "listen" to the wood, if that makes any sense. If every bowl was made to the "ideal" proportions, we would have a lot of instances of the same bowl. Variety is not the spice of life, variety IS life. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2007, 1:44 PM
Tyler that is a very pleasing bowl. I like the form. Well done.

Raymond Overman
11-15-2007, 2:14 PM
Tyler,

I think you got the form down perfectly from concept. The only difference I would make is... No Foot. It's a classic rounded wall bowl. Take the shoulder of the foot away and continue the curve through the bottom of the bowl and it will lift this bowl off the table.

Either way, it's a nice piece. Well done.

Greg Just
11-15-2007, 4:03 PM
Nice job! When I start a project, I have a basic idea in mind, but as it progresses, the design usually develops to something different than orginally planned (my screw-ups don't help either:eek: )