PDA

View Full Version : NE Cherry bowl

TYLER WOOD
11-12-2007, 1:57 PM
I was asked to make a couple of pieces to auction off at my church's yearly Thanksgiving dinner. This and the tulip poplar that I'll post in a minute are my contributions. Please comment critique and basically bash my work.

This is a cherry log sent to me by Mark Cothren. THANKS!!!
5 1/2" tall 11" at the widest opening is 5". I enjoyed making this piece, as it was only my second attempt at a natural edge. This piece almost stayed at my house as I fell in love with it. The color is simply amazing even if the grain isn't stunning. Thanks for looking and bash away!!

Steve Busey
11-12-2007, 2:12 PM
Wow, that's a beauty, Tyler! Makes me want to get into that cherry log I got yesterday - am hoping there's a bowl as nice as that in there! Am just trying to find time to build a stand first, to mount my dad's old lathe on.

robert hainstock
11-12-2007, 2:24 PM
Woooow! Very Nice. ;)
Lotsa Attaboys.
Bob

George Guadiane
11-12-2007, 2:27 PM
I like natural edge pieces like yours, harder to reverse chuck, but worth the effort!
For what it's worth, I too liked a piece I had promised... My wife put things in perspective when she said "you can make another one."
Great work, especially for a second attempt.

John Hart
11-12-2007, 3:22 PM
Ya know what I like most?

Ok...well....I'll tell ya.

I like the fact that you hollowed that thing out without bashing all the bark off. That shows a tremendous amount of self control and paying attention the whole dang time. I tip my hat.:)

Oh...and I like the form and the finish too!;)

Paul Engle
11-12-2007, 3:41 PM
Well, huh. I can understand why you want to keep it. As my pastor says " Our best , for His glory" Nice job on this one for sure , GREAT shape and finish.:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2007, 5:25 PM
Very impressive work Tyler! Agree with John in that you should get some gold stars or something for hollowing that form out without distroying the bark! Nice form, great bark and beautiful color! Should do real well at the auction! Best of luck to you!

Tom Sherman
11-12-2007, 6:57 PM
A job well done Tyler.

Allen Neighbors
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I know it's been mentioned already: Keeping that bark looking like that requires a professional touch... either that, or I know it must have a pint of super glue under it. :) Awesome bowl, awesome form, awesome finish: Let us know how the auction goes.... l'd venture to say that some of us have already made a guess what that one should bring.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Well done Tyler. I like the form and what John said about keeping the bark on.

Glenn Hodges
11-13-2007, 9:29 AM
Good job Tyler

Donald Barfield
11-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Great looking bowl !! I bet it brings a good price.

Bob Hallowell
11-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Tyler,
great peice! I see nothing to change!

Bob

TYLER WOOD
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. They are appreciated. The bark really was attached to the wood very tightly. I lost a small piece but was able to FIX it. I actually replaced the piece with some oak root ball bark (closet I could find in my shop). There is some slight color variation, but still can't really be seen unless you look for it hard. It was about the size of a finger tip, so it's small. I also put a smidge of ca glue in one area where it got thin and started to flex.

I really hope this goes for what the gallery wanted to sell it for. I brought a couple of piece to them for consignment showed them this one. They wanted this one, but it was already spoken for. I told them I would try to do a piece similar out of some mesquite that I have.

Again thanks!!!

Rich Stewart
11-13-2007, 1:21 PM
How in the WORLD did you sand the inside of that without slitting your wrists? Beautiful piece.

TYLER WOOD
11-13-2007, 1:37 PM
I do have scabs all over my knuckles and a few in the wrist area. I call it a moccasin bowl, it bites you every chance it gets!!!

Rich Stewart
11-13-2007, 3:39 PM
I bet it had a ton of chances.