PDA

View Full Version : Laguna problems resolved!

John Miliunas
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Some of you may remember my getting a Laguna LT 16 shortly before Christmas. You may also remember that I ran into some issues with it. It's really a long, long story. Here's the short version: Major league vibration. Laguna Tech Support helped me resolve some of it, but subsequent attempts at eliminating it were fruitless. Customer Service Mgr. decides (on Christmas Eve) that a new saw is in order and will be shipped when their next container comes in, not until Jan. 16 or thereabouts. Shortly thereafter, Torben himself gets involved in trying to determine cause. Decision is made to send out new wheels. They don't do the trick. It's decided a new machine is in order, after all. Received it yesterday. Finished setting it up this evening. Fit and finish is superb and Jason, with Laguna Tech Support, gave me a couple tips on the setup, so that went well, too. Can you say, "Smo-o-o-o-o-oth"? As silk! Here are a couple shots of the rig, as well as a closeup of the top guide. These are their new Ceramic Guides and time will tell on the longengevity of them, but they work really nice! Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
John,
Let me be the first to say congradulations! I am glad Torben came through for you ! It has been frustrating. That is one great looking saw! Use it well! I am really happy it all finally worked out!

Bob Marino
02-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey John,

Glad you got this situation resolved so well after all. Beautiful looking saw. Be curious about those new guides - never saw them before.

Bob

Jim Young
02-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Fancy blue anodized aluminum guide holder. Also, i see that you know how to wrap the blades back up. Everytime I try I just get frustrated.

Bob Lasley
02-11-2004, 10:55 PM
John,

Good deal! Those ceramic guides look interesting. Get busy resawing and see if you can wear them out and then let us know how they do! ;)

Nice looking machine.

Bob

aurelio alarcon
02-11-2004, 10:59 PM
that is one helluva nice looking tool! Not only will it be useful, it is easy on the eyes as well.

Joe Bourbois
02-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Sweet! I've always wanted the Laguna (not that I'm unhappy with my Jet 14"). Glad they came through for you.

John Miliunas
02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Sweet! I've always wanted the Laguna (not that I'm unhappy with my Jet 14"). Glad they came through for you.

Joe, the Laguna replaced just what you have. I had mine setup with roller guides and the riser kit. With a decent blade, it did a fine job. The purchase of this house included certain shop upgrades in the budget and, seeing as to how the place needs a LOT of TLC, I plan on doing a fair amount of resawing while buying my material rough cut. That is the main reason I upgraded. If the budget would've allowed for it, I'd have hung on to the Jet 14", as well! :cool:

Gene Collison
02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Some of you may remember my getting a Laguna LT 16 shortly before Christmas. You may also remember that I ran into some issues with it. It's really a long, long story. Here's the short version: Major league vibration. Laguna Tech Support helped me resolve some of it, but subsequent attempts at eliminating it were fruitless. Customer Service Mgr. decides (on Christmas Eve) that a new saw is in order and will be shipped when their next container comes in, not until Jan. 16 or thereabouts. Shortly thereafter, Torben himself gets involved in trying to determine cause. Decision is made to send out new wheels. They don't do the trick. It's decided a new machine is in order, after all. Received it yesterday. Finished setting it up this evening. Fit and finish is superb and Jason, with Laguna Tech Support, gave me a couple tips on the setup, so that went well, too. Can you say, "Smo-o-o-o-o-oth"? As silk! Here are a couple shots of the rig, as well as a closeup of the top guide. These are their new Ceramic Guides and time will tell on the longengevity of them, but they work really nice! Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

I think your going to love those ceramic guides. Very low friction and harder than carbide. Probably the best material to make guides from! Good for you on getting the BS problem corrected, makes my delta 14 look puny.

Gene

Lloyd Robins
02-12-2004, 12:08 AM
John, you need to stay away from Zahid on another thread. He is trying to figure out what he needs and whether he can just buy good and not great. The theme of the replies is yes, you can. Then I come to your thread and find a continuation of nothing but the best in my new shop. You will totally destroy his will power to stay within the budget. (Just as you are doing to mine. :) ) Seriously what a wonderful tool. Someday when my skill come close to yours maybe I will look into one of those electron eaters also. Work safely.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-12-2004, 1:28 AM
Beautiful saw! Glad things worked out for you without added hassles. Nice to hear of a company that stands behind it's products and makes a bad situation right.

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2004, 1:41 AM
<B>Hey John,</B>

Let me know how those new guides work out. I have the old style guides and the have a LOT to be desired. I am very interested in how these babies work out. :D

Kent Cori
02-12-2004, 5:32 AM
John,

I'm glad to see that everything worked out eventually. I can only guess at your frustration while trying to resolve the problem. However, all's well that ends well.

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 7:46 AM
Thanks for all the great comments and support along the way! The "trip" was, at times, stuck in rush-hour traffic with no "express lanes" available. However, the destination was worth it! :D

Thus far, I've only slapped on one of the "stock" 1" blades. I feel I should get a bit more familiar with the saw and make sure all is tuned in properly, before setting out on serious projects. At that time, I'll mount up the Resaw King and see what this puppy can really do! I will keep you guys posted and Dennis, I'll certainly be paying special attention to those new guides and let you know how they work out. Thanks again, folks! :cool:

Aaron Montgomery
02-12-2004, 8:46 AM
Wow, what a great looking saw! Glad to hear Laguna came through for you and fixed your problems.

Tyler Howell
02-12-2004, 9:04 AM
Way cool John, Way cool!;)

Pete Lamberty
02-12-2004, 9:14 AM
Hi John, I am glad that everything finally worked out and you are happy with your saw. Nothing is worse then buying something and it doesn't work right. Now put that saw to work. OK? Have fun. I may have some chair parts that need to be cut out. Pete

Richard McComas
02-12-2004, 1:47 PM
Glad you got things worked out. Just think of all the hassle that could be saved if more companies would do like Wilke Machinery and set up an test run a piece of equipment before they ship.

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 1:54 PM
Glad you got things worked out. Just think of all the hassle that could be saved if more companies would do like Wilke Machinery and set up an test run a piece of equipment before they ship.

AMEN! :cool:

Scott Brihn
02-12-2004, 2:19 PM
Hello John,

I am glad to hear your problem has closure. The saw cuts well and there is no need to factor in drift. I did a fair amount of resawing over the weekend (drawer sides & bottoms) where the only clean up required was a quick swipe with a LN 4.5. I think you are really going to enjoy those guides. Just remember to rotate the rear portion of the guide from time to time to avoid scoring deep grooves. I typically round over the back of a new blade slightly prior to cutting. I have found they support the blade much better than the standard "GL 456" Euro guides. I found this to be particularily true when cutting curves with a 1/2" blade. There seems to be less clean up with the OSS than when I had the GL 456 guides mounted.

Regards,

Scott

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 2:56 PM
Hello John,

I am glad to hear your problem has closure. The saw cuts well and there is no need to factor in drift. I did a fair amount of resawing over the weekend (drawer sides & bottoms) where the only clean up required was a quick swipe with a LN 4.5. I think you are really going to enjoy those guides. Just remember to rotate the rear portion of the guide from time to time to avoid scoring deep grooves. I typically round over the back of a new blade slightly prior to cutting. I have found they support the blade much better than the standard "GL 456" Euro guides. I found this to be particularily true when cutting curves with a 1/2" blade. There seems to be less clean up with the OSS than when I had the GL 456 guides mounted.

Regards,

Scott

Scott, great to hear that you've had good luck with the saw and the guides! Yeah, Jason (at Laguna) tipped me off to the rear guide rotation thing. He was also very adamant about making sure I back off the tension when done for the day. I'll find out how it does on curves pretty soon, as well, because I need to cut up a couple bowl blanks. I'll post any major rants or raves! :cool:

Alan Turner
02-12-2004, 3:19 PM
John,
Good work on getting your problem resolved. I have read several rants about Laguna not doing the right thing, which I am glad did not happen to you. Perhaps Laguna was reading those rants and took heed. If so, it was a good corporate move.
Saw well, and safely.
I spent the a.m. cutting the profile on some 4" walnut stock; leg profiles. Used to have the Delta 14", souped up, and can't imagine having gotten the job I got out of the steel framer I now have. I now use my BS for all ripping, except for the last 1/16" or so. That I do on the TS. The BS is much faster, and safer.
Alan

Jim Becker
02-12-2004, 3:44 PM
Lookin' good, John. As I told you previously, congrats on getting this straightened out.

Chuck Wintle
02-12-2004, 4:49 PM
I am glad your persistence to get satisfaction paid off!Nothing quite like a company that will go all out to satisfy the customer. In the end they must realize how much a forum, like this one, can make or break their reputation. I am willing to bet that most companies have improved because of that.

John Shuk
02-12-2004, 5:26 PM
John,
I guess we've been talking on Laguna's board! I'm JRED. I also have the LT16 I'm still getting vibration and I'm not very happy with the LT16. I think I may try to do the upgrade to the HD. What did you try to get it not to vibrate? I have tensioned the belt made sure it is square I think the saw made it to market just a little too soon. I'll have to ask more questions later I gotta run. Good luck with the new saw.
John

nic obie
02-12-2004, 7:58 PM
Hi John,

If I remember right u bought a Laguna Lt saw. On the Laguna board a few minutes ago I noticed that u said they replaced it with a HD model. That is about a $600 difference.

You did good.

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 8:56 PM
John,
I guess we've been talking on Laguna's board! I'm JRED. I also have the LT16 I'm still getting vibration and I'm not very happy with the LT16. I think I may try to do the upgrade to the HD. What did you try to get it not to vibrate? I have tensioned the belt made sure it is square I think the saw made it to market just a little too soon. I'll have to ask more questions later I gotta run. Good luck with the new saw.
John

John, I tried lots of stuff. Drop me a PM or email and we can go over some of the stuff. :cool: