PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Rack

Walt Nicholson
11-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I finally got my new shop to the point to where I can start "making sawdust" and got inspired by some of the other posts to get all my clamps organized. I started with the typical "A-frame" at 15 degrees and then started thinking about all the wasted space in between. I thought it would be cool to have most of the things I use when clamping like screws, plugs, glue, brad nails, etc. handy as well because I can never remember where I put things anymore. I had lots of scraps around, so it grew from there. The rack is about 6' tall, 29" deep and 49" wide. The drawers are the same depth as the rack with some 1/4" clear plexi in either end so I can see what is in there. They slide out from either side or come out completely if need be. I put in some adjustable spacers to separate the drawer contents. The top drawer is open on the top and holds all my glue stuff. The big drawer on the bottom holds the Kreg stuff, plate jointer, etc. The rack has 116 clamps on it now including the Veritas panel clamps on the bottom side with room for a few more (honey, I need to go shopping). It is heavy, the scraps I had were 3/4 plywood so that added unnecessary weight but some 4" casters make it easy to roll around in the shop. I will probably take everything off and put a coat of shellac on the whole thing when I get time. Now if I can find all my sanding stuff maybe I will make some storage for it. I hope the pictures show up this is my first post.Thanks for looking.

Mike Spanbauer
11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow, that's superb! You've given me some idea's for replacing the Bessey unit I have currently (freebie with 30clamp kit from Amazon).

Nice work!!

mike

frank shic
11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
nice rack (clamp), walt!

Garth Keel
11-12-2007, 1:13 PM
Fine job. A coat of shellac will make almost to nice to use!:D

Darren Fast
11-12-2007, 1:26 PM
Very nice job! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm always looking for more usable space in my shop.

Steve Clardy
11-12-2007, 2:10 PM
Very nice way for the wasted space. Clever ;)

Stan Welborn
11-12-2007, 2:24 PM
Oh yeah. I like that. May have to borrow a few of those features. I especially like the clear plexi on the drawer fronts.

Keith Beck
11-12-2007, 2:57 PM
Walt,

That is definitely the coolest clamp rack I've ever seen! Very innovative!

Keith

Ken Werner
11-12-2007, 4:20 PM
Man, that is like the Rolls Royce of clamp racks. Nice work!

Ken

Rick Gifford
11-12-2007, 4:23 PM
You sir get extra points for the coolest clamp rack. Yea baby!

Charles Wiggins
11-12-2007, 4:42 PM
Tres cool. So where do you keep the kitchen sink? Is there any assembly tool you DON'T have on there?

John Bush
11-12-2007, 9:12 PM
Best I've seen. Put a hitch on it and you will have all you would ever need at the jobsite!!

Norman Pyles
11-12-2007, 11:04 PM
All I can say is "wow". Very nicely done.

Don Bullock
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
If the rest of your wooworking is going to be that creative we're in for pictures of some more "great projects.":D

Thom Sturgill
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow! Only thing I see missing (and I probably missed them) is some of those neat 3d squares. I like that router bit display in the background too!

Just wish I had half the clamps... Anyone know any good deals?

John Bush
11-13-2007, 1:01 AM
Hi again Walt,
Very thoughtfully done. I am sure there are a lot of other Creekers besides me that would love the opportunity to "borrow" some of your design ideas. I'll send you a six-pack of Shiner Bock if you would post a full blown thread on more of the design and fab details. Thanks for sharing, John.

Jon Lanier
11-13-2007, 2:18 AM
I'm Jealous. Wow, what nice piece of furniture. :)

Walt Nicholson
11-13-2007, 10:15 AM
John, thanks to you and all the other creekers for the kind words. I will work on putting together some pics and dimensions on how it all came together and try to post it in the next few days. It would be cool to know there were a few "clones" or variations of it around the country. I'm a few years away from retirement yet and the shop is a weekend/evening hobby, but projects like this are helping me keep busy and help get the new shop organized. Thanks again for your comments.

Denny Rice
11-14-2007, 3:51 AM
Very cool! I would like one in my shop. I'm tierd of my clamps falling off the wall all the time.:eek:

Jack Tanner
11-14-2007, 8:12 AM
I love the rack, but I love the shop just as much. You do very nice work, ( the router bit storage).

Joe Mioux
11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
very nice, but you messed up...;)

you forgot to install a shop vac!!!!!:D

joe

p.s. is it just me or does your clamp rack kind of remind you of the robot in the 1960's tv series Lost in Space. again....;)

Denny Rice
11-15-2007, 4:03 AM
very nice, but you messed up...;)

you forgot to install a shop vac!!!!!:D

joe

p.s. is it just me or does your clamp rack kind of remind you of the robot in the 1960's tv series Lost in Space. again....;)

Forget the shop vac, the first thing I thought was where did he put the cd player and the TV in that thing! :)

Joe Mioux
11-15-2007, 6:20 AM
Forget the shop vac, the first thing I thought was where did he put the cd player and the TV in that thing! :)

and the 'fridg.......:p

Larry Crim
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Very cool, when are you taking orders? lol
Larry

Tim McWilliams
05-12-2008, 3:45 PM
WoW.

So where are the plans for this deluxe rack?

Thanks

Tim
tkkids@nc.rr.com

Ben Cadotte
05-12-2008, 4:08 PM
Hmmmm, hope copying is a form of flattery. As mine will look somewhat similar. :D:D

Art Travers
05-12-2008, 4:37 PM
Incredible!! What a waste of effort and time to make a clamp /parts station..
Let's see, if I had this in my shop (Garage) I would have to get rid of one
of my cars or TS.. My jigs and storage are strictly functional and not pretty.

J. Z. Guest
05-12-2008, 4:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Tim. Usually, when posting to a thread that has died 6 months ago, you'd just directly PM the poster rather than resurrecting the thread. However, Ben appreciates your search effort, hehehe.

Eric DeSilva
05-12-2008, 5:17 PM
...strictly functional and not pretty.

Nothing says functional can't be pretty. I was just admiring the Studley tool chest this morning, in fact (http://www.taunton.com/regcontent/finewoodworking/Studley_1280x1024.jpg). Real woodworker, real tools, and real art--no reason anyone shouldn't choose to surround themselves with a nice working environment (see the shots of David Marks' shop?). I certainly wouldn't call Walt's rack a waste of time, and it certainly seems pretty space efficient. Walt's rack may not work for your particular needs, but I'd certainly rather have his "pretty" rack sitting in my shop than the functional but ugly clamp rack I threw together six months ago...

bob gugerty
05-12-2008, 5:39 PM
I like it very nice!

John Thompson
05-12-2008, 7:32 PM
Very nice Walt and I think you were very wise to use the dead space with that design. You look to have a spacious shop, but at one time I did also. Things accumulated over the years just sort of crept up on the spacious and spacious kind of dis-appeard one day and it's replacement (semi-cramped) showed up. :)

Clever design and well done...

Sarge..

Rob Will
05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm glad somebody resurrected this thread. It's kind of like a rerun of a classic TV show, it gets better with age.

Actually, I'm looking for clamp storage ideas and this is a good one.

Thanks for posting.

Rob