PDA

View Full Version : Best benchtop jointer ?

dennis thompson
11-12-2007, 8:21 AM
I have no room for anything in my shop but a benchtop jointer. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best one?
Thanks
Dennis

John Shuk
11-12-2007, 8:47 AM
Probably a handplane. I doubt you'll see much difference in one brand benchtop jointer or another. For an inexpensive one I'd probably stick with Delta since I suspect their model has and will be likely to be around awhile for parts and blades.
I don't know if an Inca jpointer/planer is considered benchtop but that would solve 2 problems with one nice machine. I think that is a bit more expensive though. I think Hitachi has made something similar as well.

Bob Aquino
11-12-2007, 9:20 AM
I started out with a sears benchtop joiner, what a waste of time. I agree with John, look for some handplanes. If all you are going to do is work an edge, the hand plane will do it for you, much less cost and space. If you get a couple of wooden screw clamps and clamp them to your work table, you wont even miss having a vise.

Jon Lanier
11-12-2007, 9:21 AM
I have no room for anything in my shop but a benchtop jointer. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best one?
Thanks
Dennis

I don't know where you live. But I have this Delta 4" for sale at $100. Works just fine had if for years. Was my dads. I have 6" that I use now.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7020/joiner5ll3.jpg

Jim W. White
11-12-2007, 9:36 AM
Sunhill Machinery has both a 4" and a 6" benchtop jointer and I think they are on sale right now.

On the flip side, I think a 6" free standing model with a small footprint would be a better choice. I have a 6" Ridgid which I built a rolling stand for and have been very happy with it. It has relatively short infeed and outfeed tables but in my case that is a plus as I am also very space constrained.

Jim in Idaho

Joe Mioux
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
If space is a limiting factor, have you considered using a bench top/lunch box planer for your jointing needs?

If you build a simple sled and buy some wood shims, you're set and you will be surprised at how well it works. I now have a jointer, but prior to owning my j/p combo,I used a sled tht consisted of a piece of plywood and a stop on the lead edge of the plywood, I shimmed the wood that needed jointing (no glue just friction fit). Worked Great.

just a thought

joe

Jim Becker
11-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Given that a bench top jointer is pretty limited, especially when it comes to face jointing and longer boards, you might consider just using a router table with a split fence if you want to joint edges with electrons or as someone already suggested, use a (hand) jointer plane for that work. Both would be more efficient and the former adds more usefulness from a machinery standpoint, too.

Matt Day
11-12-2007, 1:49 PM
I would suggest a router with a straight edge as well.

Stan Smith
11-12-2007, 3:16 PM
I built a fliptop cart from a plan I got from woodonline.com. I have the Delta 6" benchtop on one side and a portable makita planer on the other. Almost all of my tools are on wheels so that I can move them around if need be. I used to have an 8" dj-20 jointer before we moved. Now that was a great piece of equip...

Josh LaFrance
11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
While it's not made anymore, the Ryobi was actually a good tool. I had one for several years. Using a bench top limits the length of board you can accurately joint but they aren't that bad. If I hadn't gotten a deal on an 8" I'd probably still be using the ryobi. Check out ebay for them.They pop up every once in a while.

Steve Wargo
11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I have an Inca Jointer/Planer and can say that it is not only the best bench top jointer that you can find, but it certainly rivals any Jet, Grizz, PM or Delta Jointer you'll find for under $2000. Oh, and don't forget it's a planer too. It's a heck of a machine and if you hunt for them you can find them. Good luck.

Lance Norris
11-13-2007, 1:20 AM
I started out with a Palmgren benchtop. Over 100 pounds of cast iron. Makes the Delta benchtop look like a toy. I still have it. Wanna buy it? It cost as much as a cheaper 6" floor model, but I'll give you a good deal on it. :)

Neil Lamens
11-13-2007, 9:41 AM
Dennis:..........the picture above of the Delta is what I've used since the late 70's. I've since put it on casters and it's 2 feet away from me when fitting doors and drawers. An absolutely wonderful machine and just one of many bench top jointers that others have mentioned.

Of course the tool has its limitations and you have to think a bit more of how to apply it. Somethimes you'll head to the TS first with a straight edge attached to cut out a bow, then get a clean edge on the bench top jointer. The big difference between the current Bench top jointers and the older versions which by the way if you've been at this long enough was at one time a "machine purchase" is you want both the in-feed and out-feed tabels to adjust. Current models may or may not have an outfeed adjustment and you do need that. That's the one downfall of current bench top jointers.

Also, when you work with bench top tools, you develope a building style that works with you tooling. Do Not think you cannot produce quality pieces from a bench top jointer.

Neil