PDA

View Full Version : Another plane question

Buddy Forshee
02-11-2004, 7:40 PM
I asked a question last week about a LA block plane. Now, please tell me how the Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley LA block planes compare. Is the LN worth $50 more than the LV? Thanks for your help!

Michael Perata
02-11-2004, 8:26 PM
I have the Lie-Nielsen LA Block Plane and would buy it again in a second.

I have had mine for a little over a year and used it straight from the box and have never even sharpened or trued the blade (Horrors, I apologize, I apologize, I will go out and get the Norton's right now!!), and I use it every weekend on some very tough wood.

It is a very fine tool.

Dave Anderson NH
02-11-2004, 9:16 PM
This is an area of very personal preference and proponents of both products will surely voice their opinions. I personally own the Lee Valley Veritas. I have used the LN and found it to be a top quality product with nothing to that can be said against it except maybe the price. I chose the LV because I felt that I didn't want to spend the extra $50 for cosmetics. It performed well out of the box though my somewhat anal personality regarding tools required that I tune it up some. I polished the sole until I could see my reflection, and I did the same thing to both the backside and the bevel of the blade. Obviously only a good final flattening and honing of the blade is really necessary to get great results. I also liked the preciseness of the adjuster and the side mounted set screws for constraining the blade.

To my way of thinking either choice will make almost any woodworker happy. Both are really fine tools.

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 9:29 PM
I have the LN and I like it very much, the LV planes are also excellent and a great deal of thought has gone into the design. Like Dave said...you can't go wrong with either

Wendell Wilkerson
02-11-2004, 10:10 PM
I have the LV LA block and the LN LA rabbet block plane. While the LN is nice, I am not sure it is $50 nicer. In my case, the two planes serve different purposes since the LN is the rabbet version. If LV sold a rabbet version of the LA block, I would have bought it instead.

Wendell

Gabriel Garcia
02-12-2004, 12:17 AM
As others have already mentioned, it really comes down to personal preference. I have 3 LN block planes and one LV LA block. Personally like the fit/finish, balance, size, and over all feel of the LNs.

The LV is also a nice block plane w/ the main differences being that its a bit wider and its use of the Norris type depth and laternal adjustments. There are those that prefer the larger LV plane, but in my hands it just doesn't feel comfortable.

As for the price difference, the LN is cheaper than the LV. If you go through www.finetoolj.com for the LN its only $135 w/ free shipping. Click on the LN tool sale and scroll to the bottom of the page for the actual price list and order form. The LV is $139 +shipping.

So price really isn't much of a factor. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

:) gabriel

Wendell Wilkerson
02-12-2004, 8:03 AM
As for the price difference, the LN is cheaper than the LV. If you go through www.finetoolj.com for the LN its only $135 w/ free shipping. Click on the LN tool sale and scroll to the bottom of the page for the actual price list and order form. The LV is $139 +shipping.

So price really isn't much of a factor. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

:) gabriel

Actually the LV is $99 plus shipping (in US dollars anyway). $139 is the price in Canadian dollars.

Lee Valley LA Block Plane (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32685&category=1,41182,41189&ccurrency=2&SID=)

Wendell

Gene Collison
02-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I asked a question last week about a LA block plane. Now, please tell me how the Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley LA block planes compare. Is the LN worth $50 more than the LV? Thanks for your help!

I have the LN LA block plane and the LV high angle block plane. They are both excellent planes. The Norris adjuster on the LV functions better than the adjuster on the LN by the fact that it has lateral adjustment and much more sensitive blade adjustment. The retaining screws that capture the edge of the blade is an excellent and patented feature on the LV. The LV is a larger plane in my hand, about like the Stanley in size, the LN is smaller. For build quality I would say that the build quality is essentially the same with one exception. The LV is finished with an I believe epoxy paint which probably will wear away with time but probably a very long time. But I'm guessing on that one. I prefer the brass cap iron that LN uses.
Either way, they are both excellent products. If I were to do over again I'm not sure which one I would buy if it were to be only one. I would probably save the $50 and always be wondering.

Gene

Gabriel Garcia
02-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Whoops! :) I guess I shouldn't post late at night when I'm half sleep. :o Its been a while since I bought my LV block plane, I figured the price went up since I bought mine.

gabriel