PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Bits? Router vs. Shaper

Rob Will
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I need to learn about pattern bits.
What is your favorite setup to cut out things like curved chair backs?
Would you be leaning toward a router table or a shaper?
Upcut or downcut on spiral router bits?
What about a small BYRD Shelix head with a guide bearing mounted on a shaper?
Do you prefer the pattern on top or bottom?

Thanks for reading all these questions!
Rob

Alan Turner
11-12-2007, 7:49 AM
Rob,
We run a 3"x3" Byrd head on a PM 26 shaper for pattern shaping. It works well, cuts uphill, etc. We run the bearing on the bottom and use DeStaco toggle clamps tgo hold the stock to the pattern. Note that the ball bearing rub collar needs to be notched as the bottom inserts overhang the head. The patterns are usually BB ply or mdf. You can do this on a router table as well, but the speed of cutting is much slower, and the Byrd heads are not available to my knowledge. I think someone makes a spiral pattern cutting router bit, but am not sure who. The Byrd head was spendy, but worth it to us.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-12-2007, 8:32 AM
Routers do certain things better than anything else.

Routers become progressively less effective and more difficult to manage as the work and depths of cut increase in size.
So the answer to your question is most likely best phrased: Every one who does general all around work and also owns a well tooled shaper also owns and uses their routers for a lot of things and every one who owns routers but no shaper would really like to have one for those things that their routers are less suited for.

One of the nicer combinations is the Shaper and router spindle package you can get from people like Felder. This allows you to use both shaper cutters and router cutters in a tilting shaper format with a 4 - or 5 or bigger HP variable speed engine driving both.

Justin Bukoski
11-12-2007, 1:19 PM
In general, I find the shaper to be more versatile for pattern shaping. I still use a small router table for many things though.

Brian Gumpper
11-12-2007, 4:12 PM
Interesting thread, suprised to see the poll leaning toward the shaper. For bearings, I like bottom too because it keeps your finish side off the table and away from the double sided tape of the pattern.

Rod Sheridan
11-12-2007, 4:17 PM
I use a shaper for pattern cutting, lots of depth of cut, nice finish.

I don't own a router table, I use the shaper for that purpose as well......Rod.

Jim Kountz
11-12-2007, 5:43 PM
Shaper hands down for me, Well that is until I thought I would sell mine and get a nice router with a lift and aluminum insert and yada yada......What a dummy I was to try and replace a shaper with a router table. I cant wait to get another shaper in the shop and get back to business!!