PDA

View Full Version : DAP Plastic Resin Glue Question

Aaron Cain
11-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey Guys,

I was just using some DAP Plastic resin glue for a complicated table glue up and I have never used this particular adhesive before. When I was mixing the glue as the directions indicated I found the mixture to be too dry to apply to the table. So I decided to add more water until it reached the Heavy cream mixture that was indicated by the directions. I found that the more I stired the mixure it would thicken very quickly and then mixture would get slightly chunky. Is this the consistancy that I should have? Am I doing something wrong? Is their something wrong with the glue? Are the joints in the project compromised?

Thanks
Aaron

Bob Smalser
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Look at the expiration date on the can. I've found UF resin glues cease to mix well when their shelf life has expired.

Aaron Cain
11-11-2007, 11:56 PM
I checked the side of the tub that I just purchased and their is no expiration date. I do have the number to the company and I think I will have to call them tommorow to figure out if that is what could be causing the problem. I also used chilli water when I first prepared it. I am not sure if that could have had an effect. If anyone else has any input please let me know

sascha gast
11-12-2007, 5:24 AM
there is an expiration date, might be hidden in some code, I think 6 months or so. i noticed that too, trouble with texture of mix.
i usually buy new before a big project. love this stuff

Bruce Haugen
11-12-2007, 7:39 AM
According to the DAP site (http://www.dap.com/docs/tech/00030201.pdf), the shelf life is a minimum of one year. I've never had a problem with the stuff lumping up like you describe.

Bruce

Randy Klein
11-12-2007, 7:48 AM
I also used chilli water when I first prepared it.

What's chili water?

Bob Smalser
11-12-2007, 8:30 AM
http://cpadhesives.com/Using_Urea_Resins.php

Mix:
Water is all that is necessary to reconstitute the powder resin. Amount of water used should be 50-65% of the weight of the dry powder to be mixed.

* 65% is the ideal level of water.
* With the amount of required water determined, first add 2/3 of that amount of water to the mixing vessel.
* Slowly add the powder, while stirring the mix on slow RPM’s (<2,000) with a mechanical agitator.
* Continue mixing for 3-5 minutes, using a spatula to scrape powder from the sides back into the liquid. Mix should be creamy and virtually lump-free at this point.
* Add the remaining 1/3 water and mix for an additional minute. Mix should be smooth, creamy, and lump-free.
o **Note: If powder won’t easily and readily dissolve into the water, or if the mix appears sandy and/or grainy, the product should not be used. These working characteristics provide a built-in safety check signaling the powder has passed its shelf life.
o **Note: Keep in mind, the rated shelf life pertains to unopened containers stored in a cool (60°-70°F) and dry place. Higher temperatures will severely reduce the shelf life (only 6 months @ 90°F), and exposure to high humidity may cause severe lumping or actual catalyzation of the powder resin.

Matt Meiser
11-12-2007, 9:16 AM
You'll have to call them to find out the date. Before I found out that it had a shelf life, I bought a few containers that were on clearance at my local hardware store for $2 each. When I found out about the shelf life I contacted them and they told me the dates on the containers I had but wouldn't give me the formula to figure out the dates on other containers.

Randy Klein
11-12-2007, 9:20 AM
http://cpadhesives.com/Using_Urea_Resins.php

Do you know if storing the powder in the refrigerator would help, hurt, or neither?

Bob Smalser
11-12-2007, 9:47 AM
It's humidity that ruins powdered glues, not temperature.

I'm surprised and gratified so many are using UF Resin glues. With many superior products that don't benefit from the marketing money Titebond and the various epoxies enjoy, it's use it or lose it. Aerodux 500, a unique user-friendly resorcinol is an example of a glue now difficult to find and accordingly expensive where it used to be cheaper than epoxy.

Here's a better place to buy glues than hardware stores if you use them in quantity and want to insure you get fresh material:

http://www.cpadhesives.com/Online_Store.php?thiscat=1&=SID

Aaron Cain
11-12-2007, 12:08 PM
I just called and it is atleast 4 years old

It looks like I will be busting the joints apart tonight

any tips or pointers on how to accomplish this?

I used mortise and loose tennon joinery

What glue should I use over the the plastic resin glue?

Bob Smalser
11-12-2007, 1:04 PM
It looks like I will be busting the joints apart tonight

any tips or pointers on how to accomplish this?

Yes. If the glue stuck, don't undo it.

There is no shortage of furniture in this house made with UF resin in the late 1970's through the middle 1980's with an expired shelf life and no failed glue joints. If it mixed together at all, I probably used it.

Noah Levy
11-12-2007, 2:12 PM
- Quick question: For someone who uses urea formaldahyde glue occasionally, as a hobbiest in the basement, what would you recommend for respirator protection from the fumes? I had cancer early on and am concerned about limiting exposure to formaldahyde since the MSDS says it's a carcinogen.

Thanks a lot!

Bob Smalser
11-12-2007, 3:09 PM
- Quick question: For someone who uses urea formaldahyde glue occasionally, as a hobbiest in the basement, what would you recommend for respirator protection from the fumes? I had cancer early on and am concerned about limiting exposure to formaldahyde since the MSDS says it's a carcinogen.

Thanks a lot!

I suspect you get twice as much exposure to airborne particles of formaldehyde compounds in ripping a sheet of plywood than you do mixing a cup of UF glue. These days most all of it is glued under heat and pressure with phenol-resorcinol containing formaldehyde. Make your respirator choices accordingly.