PDA

View Full Version : First Project Finally Complete

Randy Klein
11-11-2007, 6:45 PM
I finally completed my very first project. A twin bed for my son made out of maple and cherry with poplar mattress support slats. The finish is BLO, blonde shellac, and paste wax.

It took just under 6 months to do. A lot of that time was spent on researching what tool or technique was needed for the next step. And if you have read any of my other posts, you can see I did a lot of that research here. Almost every tool and/or technique used, I did for the very first time. I'm sure I would have had many more mistakes had it not been for the advice given here. Thanks for the all the info from everyone.

The plans were largely based on the bunk bed plans available at Rockler. I did make some noticeable changes that I will illustrate in the photos.

The most noticeable are the posts. The plans called for laminating 2 boards together, but I didn't want the glue line visible. So after some experimenting I ended up with the one shown in Figure 3. It's 4 boards that have 1/2"x1/2" rabbett on 1 side. Butted up and dominoed to each other. It leaves a nice 1/4"x1/4" rabbett reveal that seemed interesting. There was an added advantage that it left a hollow down the middle. I'll be making another bed for my other son in the spring, and these are designed to be bunked. So the hollow will serve to connect the two.

Randy Klein
11-11-2007, 6:45 PM
The second change was the mattress support. The plans called for a simple plywood bottom. But I went with poplar slats - 4" wide spaced 1" apart. I attached the slats to the cleat with dominoes. In fact, I used dominoes for every joint in the project, except the bed bolts.

The third change was the bed bolts. The plans called for the metal bracket, mortised type hardware, but I wanted something that would take the abuse my boys can dish out. So I opted for a bolt through the post and into a captured rectangular nut.

The final picture is the completed bed after mom did her part.

Please provide any comments, criticisms, or suggestions you may have. You won't hurt my feelings and it's the only way I can get better.

Thanks for looking.

Rob Will
11-11-2007, 7:04 PM
Looks great Randy. I really like the detail for building up a fat leg. The bed looks quite durable.

So, I just have to ask...you ever take the boys to the Air Force Musuem there in Dayton?

Rob

Randy Klein
11-11-2007, 7:07 PM
So, I just have to ask...you ever take the boys to the Air Force Musuem there in Dayton?

I have once, but they were a little young to appreciate it, but still thought it was really cool.

Dave Dionne
11-11-2007, 7:08 PM
Great Job Randy

I need to tackle a bed myself soon, you gave me some great idea's.

Ken Shoemaker
11-11-2007, 8:39 PM
Criticisum - None. That is well done, and I really like the finish. I think hit got a home run. Well done!!! Ken

Jim Becker
11-11-2007, 8:44 PM
Very nice work, Randy! That will give your son many years of service and it looks great!

Ralph Okonieski
11-11-2007, 8:46 PM
Criticism, no way. Very nicely done ! I like the way you handled the posts.

Fred Voorhees
11-11-2007, 8:52 PM
Randy, impressive work. You will fit in here nicely along the creeks shoreline. Nice choice with the bolt and captive nut. That should really hold up nicely. The first thing I thought of when I looked at the pictures was bunk bed. The second one will call for some exact measuring and joints so that the posts line up for the mating. Interesting treatment on the posts. Were the crossmembers morticed into the posts? Nice job.

Bob Oehler
11-11-2007, 8:57 PM
Real great work. nice details. I may have to make one myself it's so pretty.

Take care
Bob Oehler

Bill Huber
11-11-2007, 8:58 PM
Man if that is your first what's it going to look like when you get 10 under your belt.

It is a very nice looking bed and I do like the way you did the corner post. I am sure he will like it and will keep it for his kids and grand kids.

Randy Klein
11-11-2007, 9:04 PM
The second one will call for some exact measuring and joints so that the posts line up for the mating.

What you say is very true, especially since the foot and head board are off by a 1/16". Which in normal bed mode is nothing, but when bunked with another, that 1/16" will be apparent.

So, since in bunk mode, the two head boards will be on the bottom, I'll need to make the next one's foot board to match this one's head board and vice versa. I'll also need to ensure the next head board can mate with the current side rail, as well as the current foot board with the next side rail.

I'll have to write it down while it's fresh in my head and before it gets confusing again.

Interesting treatment on the posts. Were the crossmembers morticed into the posts? Nice job.

Not sure what you mean by crossmembers, maybe it's what I call a side rail (the long piece connecting head and foot board). And if so, then yes, each end has a domino above and below the bolt to help with registration and support.

Bert Johansen
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Randy, you are off to a great start. As others have said, your first project beats the heck out of most of our first few years of work. Nicely done! You have earned your spurs, and we look forward to your future projects.

Norman Pyles
11-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Great looking bed. Kinda hard to believe it's your first project. I really like the way you made the posts. I just glued two boards together on the bed I made, and they don't look near as good as yours.

frank shic
11-11-2007, 11:57 PM
lovely job, for a first-timer - sheesh, my first project didn't look nearly as well polished!

Charles Wiggins
11-12-2007, 8:35 AM
Very nice. I especially like the joinery on the posts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75036&d=1194824428

Ben West
11-12-2007, 8:42 PM
Randy...great job! I particularly like the shape and design of the legs.

Question about your use of the dominos for the slats. It seems that with the dominos oriented that way and with the way you cut a mortise into the slats, you have a very, very slim margin of error in the positioning of each mortise on the end of each slat. If you're off by a hair, it seems the slat wouldn't fit onto the domino on each end.

How did you accomplish this? Or, am I missing something completely?

Jim Hager
11-12-2007, 8:56 PM
Excellant job on a first project. I can't wait to see what you will come up with after you've been at this for a while. Geez if I had only had a domino for my first project, lucky guy, I still haven't got one and I've been at this for a while.:o

Randy Klein
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Randy...great job! I particularly like the shape and design of the legs.

Question about your use of the dominos for the slats. It seems that with the dominos oriented that way and with the way you cut a mortise into the slats, you have a very, very slim margin of error in the positioning of each mortise on the end of each slat. If you're off by a hair, it seems the slat wouldn't fit onto the domino on each end.

How did you accomplish this? Or, am I missing something completely?

You didn't miss anything, there is a slim margin of error. The trick is to reference the domino off a common point. I did this by laying the cleat on the workbench such that the inside portion of the cleat (the part that is closer to the inside of the bed and farther away from the side rail) was down. I then cut the mortises.

Then after the cleat was installed on the side rail and the side rails attached to the head and foot boards, I positioned each slat, 1 by 1, in the position they would be. Then I used a 3D clamp on each side that butted up against the cleat and clamped it to the slat.

By butting it up against the inside of the cleat, the clamp now acted as the exact same reference point that the workbench provided for the cleat. I removed the slat and placed the base of the domino against the clamp and cut the mortise. I also wiggled the Domino just a tad as I plunged to give me a little more margin.

When I make the next bed, I plan on taking more pictures. It'd be a lot easier to see than to read what I wrote...

The only problem with this method is that it leaves very little grain to support the end of the mortise. And if when placing the slat, you tweak too much, it could blow it out. I consider that, but then thought if it happened (which it did once), I could glue it back on and reinforce it, or leave as is, since it would now just be a normal slat.

Randy Klein
11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Geez if I had only had a domino for my first project, lucky guy, I still haven't got one and I've been at this for a while.:o

I was lucky enough to have the right amount of Christmas/birthday gift cards and spare cash to spring for it when I was tooling up.

But honestly, I'll probably not keep it after I make the second bed. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a beautiful machine. And it does everything they said it would.

I just didn't seem to experience much satisfaction from using it. I wish I'd had spent the money on the hand tools to cut mortise and tenon joinery instead. I've slid down the Neanderthal slope the entire 6 months it took to make the bed. So I'll sell the Domino off for the equivalent hand tools.

Don Bullock
11-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Randy, that bed is fantastic. Super job!!!!

glenn bradley
11-13-2007, 12:09 AM
A beautiful job and I like your solution on the legs.

Dave MacArthur
03-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Just found this thread, thanks for pointing me here on my bed question. Great job! I also love that post design!

Lars Thomas
03-26-2008, 9:06 AM
Great detail on the posts. Well done. Lars

John Stevens
03-26-2008, 9:14 AM
The trick is to reference the domino off a common point.

Randy, this would have been an impressive project if it hadn't been your first, but as a first project it's even more impressive. My question is: how did you reference the Domino when making the legs? They're great, and I'd like to use that technique--plenty of room for variations on the theme.

Regards,

John

J. Z. Guest
03-26-2008, 9:34 AM
Very nice work Randy, especially for a first project. For my first project, a stepstool, I knew I needed a "quick win" to whet my appetite for more. I'm not naturally a patient person. I have to force it upon myself.

A bed is going to be one of my next projects. The main thing I'm worried about is getting a board long enough to also remain straight enough. How did you handle this?

Randy Klein
03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Randy, this would have been an impressive project if it hadn't been your first, but as a first project it's even more impressive. My question is: how did you reference the Domino when making the legs? They're great, and I'd like to use that technique--plenty of room for variations on the theme.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the kind words. As to how to reference the Domino for the legs, I'm glad you asked. I had almost forgotten how I did it, your question got me to remember and this time I drew it up.

I aligned them with just pencil markings and chose the wider mortise to help with any misalignment.

Randy Klein
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
A bed is going to be one of my next projects. The main thing I'm worried about is getting a board long enough to also remain straight enough. How did you handle this?

You mean the side rails. I had the same concern and it all stems on proper selection at the mill. The rails are only 1" thick. So, if you can find 5/4 or 6/4 lumber that has minimal cupping or bowing over a 6' length, that'll work. I did not find that at my wood source. So I got 8/4.
Flattened one side with a planer and planer sled,
Jointed the edges square.
Resawed on the BS to about 1-1/4" thickness.
Then waited a few weeks for the board to re-stabilize since I removed a modest amount of wood.
Re-flattened with the planer sled.
Planed down to final thickness.After all that preparation, there was still a very slight bow. It was unnoticeable to the eye, but a straight edge revealed it. But it did not really affect anything.

Of course another approach is to laminate two 1/2" thick plywood together and then cover the edges with either a similar or complementary species.

Trevor Eyre
04-04-2008, 8:10 PM
That's a very nice bed!

Could you post some pics of how the side rails are attached to the head/footboard.

I am trying to design a bed for myself and am not sure about that joinery. I don't know which way is the best way to join those pieces for the greatest strength.

Thanks,
Trevor

Randy Klein
04-04-2008, 9:58 PM
That's a very nice bed!

Could you post some pics of how the side rails are attached to the head/footboard.

I am trying to design a bed for myself and am not sure about that joinery. I don't know which way is the best way to join those pieces for the greatest strength.

Thanks,
Trevor

Trevor,

I don't have any more detailed pics than what is in the first post. But I can explain. There is a domino tenon above and below the hex head bolt that you can see in this picture. The dominoes aren't glued in, they act like stub tenons.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75042&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1194824854

Well actually, what you are seeing is the nut side of the bolt. I bought a square nut from lowes and the bolt is 3/8" I believe. I chose the square nut over the traditional hex nut because it provided enough bearing area that I didn't need a washer. And had I gone with the hex nut, I would have needed a washer and that would have required a deeper mortise, which would have left me rather thin on the other side.

Here's the other side of the bolt that is in the leg.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75041&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1194824835

I hope that explains it well. It's not anything out of the ordinary. I got the idea from the Taunton Bed's book. Or maybe it was an article on FWW.

Terry Achey
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Very nice work! I'm still in building in shop accessory mode and haven't really tackled any furniture building of this magnitude yet. I can only hope I am as successful as you were on my first furniture build!

Oh, and yes, you're right.... this site is like going to class for free!

Kirk Smith
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Randy,

I am new to woodworking and plan to make a pine bed for my nephew. On the joint that you made using bolt, how deep is the domino that you used
Thanks
Kirk

Randy Klein
09-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Randy,

I am new to woodworking and plan to make a pine bed for my nephew. On the joint that you made using bolt, how deep is the domino that you used
Thanks
Kirk

I used 2 dominoes, 1 above and 1 below the bolt. I believe I used a 10mm x 50mm domino and put about 2/3 to 3/4 of it into the side rail. So only about 1/2" of the domino went into the post.

Jim Summers
10-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Randy,

Excellent bed. Really like the posts.

I was wondering how you drilled the holes in the side boards? I am having trouble thinking how to get them drilled through and hit the target where the nut will be? I just have standard drills and a benchtop drill press to use.

TIA

Randy Klein
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi Randy,

Excellent bed. Really like the posts.

I was wondering how you drilled the holes in the side boards? I am having trouble thinking how to get them drilled through and hit the target where the nut will be? I just have standard drills and a benchtop drill press to use.

TIA

I used a self-centering doweling jig (like this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=782)) and a regular hand drill. Once you drill as deep as you can with the jig, remove it and continue drilling. The first hole you drill with the jig will guide the bit as you go deeper.

The doweling jig is real easy to line up to a mark and is of course, self centering.

Jim Summers
10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
I used a self-centering doweling jig (like this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=782)) and a regular hand drill. Once you drill as deep as you can with the jig, remove it and continue drilling. The first hole you drill with the jig will guide the bit as you go deeper.

The doweling jig is real easy to line up to a mark and is of course, self centering.

Gotta love the creek. Excellent idea.

Another question has come to mind. What was your clamping strategy / method when gluing up the posts? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier reply.

Thanks again

Randy Klein
10-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Gotta love the creek. Excellent idea.

Another question has come to mind. What was your clamping strategy / method when gluing up the posts? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier reply.

Thanks again

I either used plastic resin glue or TBIII for a longer open time. The post is made of 4 identical components. I thought of glueing just two together at a time, and then glue those two together later, but I was concerned about keeping them square enough during the first glue-up.

So I just glued the whole thing together by glueing one corner together, then the opposite corner, then joining those two. It has to be done like that because you can't glue three pieces together (and form a "U") and then add the 4th piece last. I then clamped everything together, some clamps were perpendicular to the others.

After all the clamping was done, I then used a damp rag and a piece of cut off to ram down the center square hole to clean up squeeze out. That worked rather well.

Larry Browning
10-21-2008, 1:37 PM
I haven't read every word of the thread, so if someone else has already mentioned this, my apologies.

I am assuming this is for a child, and a boy at that. I am thinking that boys will be boys, and that an uncovered hollow bedpost is just screaming for all kinds of "stuff" the be put into it. Things that might not be so easy to get out and might start to produce some pretty strange odors after a period of time as well.:eek: So I was thinking, that maybe some sort of a finial or decorative plug would be a nice addition to the top of the bedpost. They could be moved to the top bed when that one is complete.

Oh, and BTW, that is one awesome first project!

Randy Klein
10-21-2008, 2:06 PM
I haven't read every word of the thread, so if someone else has already mentioned this, my apologies.

I am assuming this is for a child, and a boy at that. I am thinking that boys will be boys, and that an uncovered hollow bedpost is just screaming for all kinds of "stuff" the be put into it. Things that might not be so easy to get out and might start to produce some pretty strange odors after a period of time as well.:eek: So I was thinking, that maybe some sort of a finial or decorative plug would be a nice addition to the top of the bedpost. They could be moved to the top bed when that one is complete.

Oh, and BTW, that is one awesome first project!

Thanks Larry. You are right (it is for a boy), a finial or cap of some sort is on my list of things to do. And it'll probably move really high on the list the first time I discover something has been put in there.

In the meantime, I have him look down into the hollow and I blow real hard into the hole for the bed bolt. It hits him right in the eye. And then he of course does it to me...

Jim Barstow
09-19-2019, 11:43 PM
I'm building a set of bunk beds for my grandkids and really liked this leg design. I've built a lot of queen sized beds and usually use solid wood about 3x3 but decided to use this approach with 4/4. It also lends itself to connecting the bunk beds together. I made a couple of modifications:

1. I was worried about the edges of the notches in the corners getting dinged so I filled them in with 1/4" square cocobolo which is much harder
2. I wanted more glue surface for the mortise/tenon used to join the headboard/footboard rails so I cut square stock to just fit inside and positioned them to where the mortises would be

I've attached a picture of a test piece to see how the cocobolo highlight would look. (The highlights in the back are maple which I decided against.)

Vince Shriver
09-24-2019, 2:26 AM
Man if that is your first what's it going to look like when you get 10 under your belt.

It is a very nice looking bed and I do like the way you did the corner post. I am sure he will like it and will keep it for his kids and grand kids.

I couldn't have expressed it any better than Bill did. Great completed first build!