PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl NE Vase

John Hart
11-11-2007, 5:39 PM
A week or so ago I mounted up this nasty piece of cherry burl.

Couldn't decide what to do with it until Thursday when I figured that I'd just wail away at it and see what it wanted to be.:rolleyes: This wood had huge voids throughout that really treated me unkindly :( and also made the blank very offset in terms of weight distribution so it really rocked the lathe even when it was round. Probably did the whole thing at about 700 rpm.

So anyway, this is what it wanted to be.

It's 6.5" diameter by 7.5" high...finished in spray satin lacquer (that smells like bubble gum :) )...then steel wool...then brutally hand rubbed. Went a bit thin on the bottom so I didn't want to go too deep on the foot.

Your critiques are welcome!!...and invited.....and warmly received!!!:)

Tim A. Mitchell
11-11-2007, 6:13 PM
Very Nice. I like the shapr taransition from top to bottom, and the over all curve of the upper portion.

Inspiring.

George Guadiane
11-11-2007, 6:16 PM
I'd say you did a really good job of helping that burl hunk become what it wanted! It bacame a really nice form, worthy of respect!

Tom Sherman
11-11-2007, 6:23 PM
John it looks like you respond well to unkind treatment. I like it.

Earl Reid
11-11-2007, 7:06 PM
Looks different from yesterday John. Nice job:)
I turned the antlers this AM turned out pretty good.
Earl

Jon Lanier
11-11-2007, 8:49 PM
I would say that piece of wood decided nicely on what it wanted to be.

Great job.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2007, 9:06 PM
Nice looking vase John! Beautiful wood! Third photo looks like a natural edge pitcher! Nice work!

David Fried
11-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Seriously gnarly. Nice job John.
I'm still not sure how you get the ice cream into these hollow forms.

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
John that is a beauty. Very nice.

Allen Neighbors
11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Beautiful... I, too, like that sharper transition from the bottom to the top. Good job on making the top and keeping it together also... I think it's close to a pitcher, like Steve. The top photo looks like an eccentric turning.

Alex Elias
11-12-2007, 12:00 AM
I like the look a lot. I usually gravitate more into curves more than sharper transitions, but that is what makes the world a beatiful place. I think you've done a beatiful piece from that wood. Lots of character and the thing that also appeals to me is the foot, nice transition into it and good detail.
Congrats,
Alex
PS: Nice photography.

John Hart
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Fact is...the wood really drove the form. The voids kinda dictated where and when I needed to stop and where the curves had to go. Overall, I wish that the transistion were a little higher rather than toward the middle. But, regardless...it was a great learning experience and I'll do better on the next one.

TYLER WOOD
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Do better on the next one? How? This one is extremely nice. Sometimes the wood has to determine the form. I think with the voids in the locations they are, and the shape of the blank, the form is great!! Good job!

John Hart
11-12-2007, 1:23 PM
Thanks Tyler...I appreciate the compliment.:) .....But I rue the day that I would say, "Ok that's it...I've learned everything that I'm gonna learn...."

Sheesh....I gotta long way to go...;)

Paul Engle
11-12-2007, 3:47 PM
Nice work John, " BURL all you can BURL " be , er ....:D . Indeed.